The 2020 LW landscape

ooh thanks one to watch

BJ Penn Forever -

Evan Dunham is returning and fighting Michael Johnson on April 25th.

good fight, Dunham is forever underrated. If you go back and watch, several of his fights he was robbed  a few times. one that comes to mind is his fight with RDA

knappster -
BJ Penn Forever -

Evan Dunham is returning and fighting Michael Johnson on April 25th.

good fight, Dunham is forever underrated. If you go back and watch, several of his fights he was robbed  a few times. one that comes to mind is his fight with RDA

Agree, he was really underrated in his prime.

Lots of his losses were to elite guys in their primes too.

I remember at one point in time Dunham and Sitoropolis (sp) were viewed as the future of the division.

1 Like

I loved that thread about evan Dunham. Like a what ever happened to him, type post saying how he was the future of the division and a pretty boy, and goes in detail about the shaved head, and satanic tattoos. Someone should bump!

Alan Patrick vs Christos Giagos is on 4/25.

Just like when Conor, Dober and Ferriera all earned POTN bonuses a few weeks ago... the LWs shined again last night as Holtzman and Miller earned FOTN.

Miller has had 7 FOTN awards and has the most fights in UFC LW history with 33.

Holtzman moves to 7-3 in the UFC and this was his biggest win to date.

Makhachev can't seem to get a 249 fight.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/02/ufc-249-islam-makhachev-humorous-callout-of-al-iaquinta

No fights booked for Ramos, Ismagulov, Taisumov, Tsarukyan, Santos, Gillespie, Hernandez, Poirier, and Gaethje either.

At least there is the Hooker and Lee fights booked, those are big and of course... Khabib Tony is the greatest fight booked in LW MMA history.

Both the Riddell and Hooker fights were close tonight.

If thats it for Felder then that is it.

Should be something real big for Hooker next.

Conor, Dober and Ferriera all earned POTN bonuses a month ago, Holtzman and Miller earned FOTN last week, Hooker and Felder earned FOTN on Saturday... once again proving this is the division to follow closer than the others.

Many top 20 LWs need fights booked but while we wait... Lee vs Oliveira and Khabib vs Tony are coming up soon.

![](upload://cyDb9gp0irn3zeIPnIf2qreuxMb.png)

Jed I. Goodman @jedigoodman

Ariel Helwani says a summer time fight between McGregor vs. Gaethje is the current front runner. Things could change, talks very preliminary at this point.#HelwaniShow

1:08 PM - Feb 24, 2020

Makhachev vs Hernandez going down at 249.

Great fight.

Poirier vs Hooker going down May 16th per MMAjunkie.

1 Like

Upcoming

Dariush vs Klose 3/7

Madsen vs Hubbard 3/7

Lee vs Oliveira 3/14

Trinaldo vs Makdessi 3/14

Moicano vs Hadzovic 3/14

Diakiese vs Ray 3/21

Ramos vs Tsarukyan 4/11

Azaitar vs Worthy 4/18

Makhachev vs Hernandez 4/18

Khabib vs Ferguson for the UFC LW title 4/18

Patrick vs Giagos 4/25

Johnson vs Dunham 4/25

Hooker vs Poirier 5/16

Davi Ramos vs Arman Tsarukyan set for April 11th.

I expect Madsen to trash Hubbard tonight.

Klose is game (5-1 in UFC) but I think Dariush should win this. He has beaten some tough fighters like Rashid Magomedov, Diego Ferreira, Vick, Miller, Johnson. Riding a three fight win streak.

Conor, Dober and Ferriera all earned POTN bonuses in Jan, Holtzman and Miller earned FOTN last month, Hooker and Felder earned FOTN last month, Beneil Dariush has a great performance and earns himself a POTN bonus tonight.

Thats eight POTN bonuses for the LWs thus far in 2020.

mmajunkie reporting Ferreira vs Dober going down on 5/2. Ferreira's last fight was a bigger name in terms of rankings but I'm sure he took this fight because almost all the other top ranked guys are booked and he wanted to stay active.

With this fight booked, most of the fightmatrix top 15 are booked or fought in the past 30 days.

#13 Dariush just beat Klose, #10 Felder just lost to Hooker. #4 Gaethje, #11 Pettis and #12 Iaquinta are not booked.

(6) Lee vs (8) Oliveira 3/14

(14) Trinaldo vs (30) Makdessi 3/14

(15) Makhachev vs (9) Hernandez 4/18

(1) Khabib vs (2) Ferguson for the UFC LW title 4/18

(5) Ferreira vs (21) Dober 5/2

(7) Hooker vs  (3) Poirier 5/16

Oliveira thinks he needs to beat Lee and one more guy for his title shot. That would be an eight fight win streak for him. Looking forward to the Lee, Makhachev, and Hooker fights coming up soon, of course Khabib vs Tony is as big as it gets but these other fights are icing on the cake.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/3/11/21174582/charles-oliveira-only-thing-kevin-lee-does-better-talk-ufc-brasilia

“I’ll be aggressive and look for the finish as quick as possible. That’s the idea. Wherever he makes a mistake, I’ll capitalize on it. Like I told (coach Diego) Lima, I’ll fight like I never fought before. No rush, hit and move, and then we’ll make Kevin Lee make a mistake.”

If he manages to stop Lee in the main event, Oliveira believes “there’s no debate” he should be ranked in the top-10 of the 155-pound weight >

“It’s gonna be seven wins in a row with no decisions,” he said. “It will open doors for me in the division. After that, it will be one more win and then my long-awaited title shot. After this, they have to give me a top-5, a top-3, and then I’ll fight for the belt by the end of the year or early next year.”

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1237547537835249664