The Argument for BJ Penn as GOAT

Invalid.

Please explain to me how a 16-10 record is GOAT material. He only defended the belt 3 times and against Sherk, Florian and Diego? Thats GOAT material? Nope Phone Post 3.0

Top 5

Bj
Gsp
Fedor
Jones
Silva

Switch and swap those names however you see fit. Phone Post 3.0

lol. BJ had crazy talent, big balls and the perfect style to beat Matt Hughes. He's not the GOAT. Not even top 5 Phone Post 3.0

Since93 - 
BrandonWaltonMusic -
Since93 - This thread is why I don't come here anymore Phone Post 3.0

Nice contribution.
I honestly think the subject is too stupid to comment on. Not getting busted for PEDs is a goat factor? Dumb.

Fighting fat is a good thing? Losing to jens pulver, Frankie 2xs, and drawing with uno, all in your prime is goat material? Phone Post 3.0

You are vastly underrating both Pulver and Frankie if you think those are supposed to be embarrassing loses. And Penn thoroughly battered Uno in that fight.

Floyd'sPeehole - Please explain to me how a 16-10 record is GOAT material. He only defended the belt 3 times and against Sherk, Florian and Diego? Thats GOAT material? Nope Phone Post 3.0
I guess submitting a prime Matt Hughes for the WW title to become a two division champ isn't a big deal... Phone Post 3.0

I suspect BJ was on PEDs.*

He was notoriously lazy between fights but would somehow be on par with the best in the world after just an 8-week camp. What was he doing during those training camps to catch up so quickly? Not to mention he's always had the financial resources to get the best of the best "supplements".

Oh, he was very vocal about his anti-PED stance... Silva and Fitch have shown us in the very recent past, and countless others over time, that that doesn't mean shit.

Oh, he didn't have a bodybuilder's physique... Tim Sylvia, Josh Barnett and many others have shown this to not mean shit either.

*I don't actually believe BJ has ever used PEDs – I'm making a point.

lol, we're back in 2010?

quick -
Since93 - 
BrandonWaltonMusic -
Since93 - This thread is why I don't come here anymore Phone Post 3.0

Nice contribution.
I honestly think the subject is too stupid to comment on. Not getting busted for PEDs is a goat factor? Dumb.

Fighting fat is a good thing? Losing to jens pulver, Frankie 2xs, and drawing with uno, all in your prime is goat material? Phone Post 3.0

You are vastly underrating both Pulver and Frankie if you think those are supposed to be embarrassing loses. And Penn thoroughly battered Uno in that fight.
I guess pulver should be in the goat discussion too then, huh? Phone Post 3.0

He was a champion in 2 divisions, if you don't think he was one of the greatest of all time then you are a fucking moron.

anyway, let the Penn lunatics have their thread if it means they'll stop derailing the real discussions about who's the true best ever.

Once the talent got a little stronger, he never won more than 3 fights in a row.

Okay if you count at lightweight he won 5.

Not even close to GOAT IMO.

The last five years of BJ's career:

Loss - Edgar
Loss - MacDonald
Loss - Diaz
Draw - Fitch
Win - Hughes
Loss - Edgar
Loss - Edgar

GOAT Phone Post 3.0

BrandonWaltonMusic - 
eXtv - 

Good point well argued.

All that needed to be said imo.

Animal Mother - 
BrandonWaltonMusic - 
eXtv - 

Good point well argued.

All that needed to be said imo.

I wonder if it hurts Georges protruding abs to laugh like that.

Personally I suspect BJ is the best clean fighter of this era.

Fedor is questionable.

Jones, Anderson and GSP are all but confirmed.

Nick Diaz is also up there IMO.

The Power Double - The last five years of BJ's career:

Loss - Edgar
Loss - MacDonald
Loss - Diaz
Draw - Fitch
Win - Hughes
Loss - Edgar
Loss - Edgar

GOAT Phone Post 3.0

How would GSP's last 5 fight look if he came back...fought and got beat by Hendricks/Rory/Lawler twice....then moved up to 185 and beat Bisping.....drew with Rockhold and then got trounced by Yoel, Vitor and Jacare?

But then he wouldn't have his famed size and strength advantage.

And he would get popped.

Ansari -

I suspect BJ was on PEDs.*

He was notoriously lazy between fights but would somehow be on par with the best in the world after just an 8-week camp. What was he doing during those training camps to catch up so quickly? Not to mention he's always had the financial resources to get the best of the best "supplements".

Oh, he was very vocal about his anti-PED stance... Silva and Fitch have shown us in the very recent past, and countless others over time, that that doesn't mean shit.

Oh, he didn't have a bodybuilder's physique... Tim Sylvia, Josh Barnett and many others have shown this to not mean shit either.

*I don't actually believe BJ has ever used PEDs – I'm making a point.

Barnett and Sylvia had body fat to cover their physique.

Btw where has Barnett been since all this extra testing come out? Phone Post 3.0

BrandonWaltonMusic - It is safe to say that in the last week or so there has been an abundance of GOAT lists floating around the UG, obviously the main reason for this is the recent positive test for the legendary Anderson Silva.

My only issue with these discussions though has been the alum of phenomenal fighters that are given as 'options' for GOAT, typically we're seeing; Fedor, Anderson Silva, Jon Jones and GSP.

OBVIOUSLY these are all incredible fighters, they crossed the boundaries of what is possible in MMA and their legacies (Especially for the retired/almost retired) will remain almost mythical as time passes....So then whats the issue? the issue is the lack BJ FUCKING PENN.

So here's my main points in favor of BJ beating at least 2 of these fighters in the GOAT list:

1: Zero PED's! Jon's suspect, Anderson's guilty, GSP has a TMNT body and Pride told their fighters they weren't testing.

2) Expected to fight above his weight far more than Silva, GSP or Jon: D'you wanna know what Silva vs Jones would have looked like? watch GSP vs Penn 2.

3) Record against HIS weight class 11 - 3. yeah go look at BJ's losses he didn't lose much when he wasn't being forced to fight giant lab rats or having his weight class cut like it had lost it's last 3 fights

4) Record against the best ever: 2-1 with Hughes, 1-1 with GSP (Don't start)

5) His Weight class finish rate 10 out of 11 wins were finished (all UFC) better than Georges UFC finishes: 8 out of 20.

So can I here the arguments back? btw my list is:

1) BJ Penn

2) Fedor

3) Anderson (innocent until after hearings and shit)

4) GSP

5) Jones
Voted up OP.

BJ is the greatest.

In a league full of roiders, BJ did it clean. Phone Post 3.0