THE CALF KICK: where did it come from?

it came from people not knowing how to block

wiggum - 
OUTCOLD - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - 
On a SideNote - 
OUTCOLD - 
Wasa-B - While im not a Thai or KB expert, I don't think ive seen those in them. Were they an MMA invention? Benson is often cited as one of the first guys to do it? If they aren't done in KB, why? Why do they only kick to the thigh and not the calf?

They are super easy to block and again highlight the basic nature of MMA kicking/striking techniques.

Here we go.

Always that damn MMA haters on a MMA forum.

Any decent MMA fighter should be able to compete in BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing and Muay Thai at a decent amateur level.

In the year 2021 we still have elite level fighters who could hardly compete in Ammy competition.

Frankly it’s embarrassing that “Mixed Martial Artists” still have such massive holes in their game.

If they were fighting in MT, they’d have a different stance.

As ELuke said, the issue is stances. If you have a “check friendly” stance, you are getting taken down at will (unless you are super lanky).

Defending kicks 101

Checking

Countering

Footwork

Alternating or switching stances

Plenty of options outside of squaring up and only checking.

90% of this thread:

Calf kicks are easy to defend in MT. 

This shows how far behind MMA striking is. 

MMA stances are more square. 

You can catch kicks easily in MMA, but not calf kicks. 

…etc. 

Seagal.

Wasa b,

Thanks for the info 

it is a interesting topic for sure 

I have a feeling that the kyokushin guys might have issued a specific name for this specific kick but maybe like shotokan or Shito Ryu might just call it a round kick (mawashigeri) variation. 

How is this calf defense, compared to the muaythai calf defense ?

https://youtu.be/qOwSAtHlty4

![](upload://sfy6LXjzXNtTChoOo2jurmi82SH.jpeg)

crowbar - 

Came from Dan The Wolfman.

Came here to say this. He also invented the ridgehand to the pussy.

cheech -

![](upload://xA33LWXZeNfwPdG8OWXr9phiXDT.jpeg)

What a great fight , one of my favorites :) The King !! 

OUTCOLD - 
wiggum - 
OUTCOLD - 
Sprawl'n'Stall - 
On a SideNote - 
OUTCOLD - 
Wasa-B - While im not a Thai or KB expert, I don't think ive seen those in them. Were they an MMA invention? Benson is often cited as one of the first guys to do it? If they aren't done in KB, why? Why do they only kick to the thigh and not the calf?

They are super easy to block and again highlight the basic nature of MMA kicking/striking techniques.

Here we go.

Always that damn MMA haters on a MMA forum.

Any decent MMA fighter should be able to compete in BJJ, Wrestling, Boxing and Muay Thai at a decent amateur level.

In the year 2021 we still have elite level fighters who could hardly compete in Ammy competition.

Frankly it’s embarrassing that “Mixed Martial Artists” still have such massive holes in their game.

If they were fighting in MT, they’d have a different stance.

As ELuke said, the issue is stances. If you have a “check friendly” stance, you are getting taken down at will (unless you are super lanky).

Defending kicks 101

Checking

Countering

Footwork

Alternating or switching stances

Plenty of options outside of squaring up and only checking.

Yes. Fighters have been defending leg kicks in MMA for a while using these options. The issue with calf kicks is that they do more damage. If I avoid 4/5 leg kicks, I’m in pretty good shape. If I avoid 4/5 calf kicks, I’m pretty messed up.

My Muay Thai teacher started switching more to a Pradal Serey which is Cambodian kickboxing. Similar to MT but slight variations. This was ten yrs ago and that was one of the kicks we started incorporating. 

The first one I remember using the calf kick was Ben Henderson. 

1 Like
Newaza freak -

How is this calf defense, compared to the muaythai calf defense ?

https://youtu.be/qOwSAtHlty4

I think this is good for a MMA fighter as the attacker may expose his back for a takedown attempt. 

AnotherTMAguy -

It was used in Muay Thai a long while ago but it was relatively easy to block so it's not used as much.

I read Dustin saying that Conor blocked incorrectly.  He didn't turn his leg out so as to make shin on shin contact, and Dustin was catching the meat.

it got popular in mma just after anderson broke his own leg kicking chris w

Where did it go?

Where did it come from, Cotton-Eyed Joe?

https://youtu.be/D_YT_B_Anzs

Most people that isnt training a Fullcontact striking only martial art dont put enough detail in their block. You can block a lowkick/calfkick just bye lifting the leg. However This way is not the optimal way. The optimal way is to while lifting up the leg tur your own shin outwards. Most people dont do this. They have there shinpads on and really just are Happy if they lift the leg. However the outside of your shin is a muscle fully capable of getting hurt. Basically people are taught a bad habit - bad habits take Time to adjust away from.

Also if you are in a good teaching environment, you Will learn to turn your shin outwards cause This also defends against the outside sweep. A good martial artist Will pretty early establish if you are only lifting your leg straight up and after a few bad blocks they Will go Big arc around and sweep you. 

Sensei made sure We where closing that space with shin turning towards the kick. If We didnt We went flying. Hard lessons sometimes give fast learning.

How do Thais and KBers practise checking all types of leg kicks? Seems like the calf kick check involves the correct angle to ensure its being checked properly. Can this still be done lightly with pads?

Wasa-B - https://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/421395/3460xw7.gif

@NF good angle of Kikuno’s kick.

I learned this in shorin ryu karate as a teenager. The hardest I ever hit a person in my life in a real fight was with this kick right to the solar plexus. The sound of the air wishing out of this dude and how he hit the ground had me irrationally scared lol. I got out of there quick and was legit worried the cops were coming to beat my dads door down I hit this dude so hard. He literally ran into it too. 

my friends that saw thought I was Superman for a bit until I got my face kneed in a few months later by the real neighborhood bad ass