The CRANE Pass by Alberto Crane (vid)

For this technique demonstration, Alberto Crane (UFC Vet, 1st American BB under Gracie Barra, and all around good guy) was gracious enough to show us his signature pass: The CRANE Pass. The pass is especially effective form the closed guard and half guard. Be sure to watch after the instruction, for the moved being used by AthleticBodyCare athlete, Orlando Sanchez, to win the Blue Belt 2010 Absolute World Title!

See you on the mat.

for later

what is the inside arm doing? I know he says use it to check the hip, but is he gripping something or is he just posting on the floor?

for laters

looks like the arm around the collar is really extended , couldn't the bottom guy get an inverted arm bar?

bonez05 - looks like the arm around the collar is really extended , couldn't the bottom guy get an inverted arm bar?

pressure from the head should be keeping him in place, along with the lapel grip. otherwise he could just as easily take the back as well

nice pass

For later Phone Post

For later:) Phone Post

Why not do a knee thru pass instead minus the lapel feed?

nice tecnique but lol at all the goofy video effects.  ; )

yeah the video effects were a serious failure

rayonyx7 - Why not do a knee thru pass instead minus the lapel feed?

When they start defending you can dive in on a Brabo? It also saves you from having to lapel feed after passing. And, let's be real, the lapel feed is awesome.

Nice technique. This is actually a variation of Draculino's Lemon Squeeze pass or something to that effect.

Hi ogjune,

Thats my pass I started doing probably about 10 years ago to defeat the half guard especially the deep half guard, yes you are correct Draculino called it the Lemon squeeze pass.

No Gi it works as well, but you do have to watch out for the armdrag, you can do a variation by grabbing your hands since there is no lapel control.

You can check me doing this no gi in my last grappling match it was a great grapping battle vs scott bieri. It was a different point system than BJJ but basically the match went to sudden death overtime, 1st points won.

Overtime starts at 6:45 and the crane pass starts at 8:27. He had to escape from the bottom or sweep and I had to pass. I used the crane pass for the win.

Here is the vid:

Awesome Alberto, thanks for posting that.

great thread.

ttt

Half guard is common in judo to get a stoppage. Will have to try this proven tecknique. The main variation from what I have learned is the head on the chest. thanks, very creative/efffective.