The days of shogun would own chuck

I remember a few years back this being a very hot topic on the ug of the pride guys saying shogun would own chack if they fought and this and that...since beating a clearly older softend chuck and a guy that seemed invincible, does this add to the thought that he would have done it back in 2005 or do you guys think chuck might have cought him back when he still had a good chin and a faster step? with shogun's injury combacks and adaptation to the ufc's style of rules, is it safe to say that he may be the greatest lhw of all time???

I used to think that Shogun's stand-up was a bit sloppy and Chack would probably catch him, but Shogun looked amazing against Machida. The Shogun that fought Machida would beat anyone at LHW, except maybe Anderson.

For Machida he changed his style a lot IMO, he pretty much did what Machida does to everyone else. I want to see how he does with everyone else in the division before I start saying he was the greatest.

As for as the Iceman match up it would be interesting to see how it would have played out but remember the Chuck of old was a beast in his old right as well. Solid punches and a solid chin with great wrestling. Who knows what would have happened, two of my fav fighters so all I know is it would have been a great fight to see...

chuck would get destroyed even worst if he fought shogun when shogun was dominating PRIDE.

The days Shogun would own Chuck:

Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
Sunday

I think Chuck would have done much better 4 years ago but i thought Shogun would have beat him then as well.

Shogun of 4 years ago would still smash Chuck of 4 years ago.

Shogun of 2005 smashed everyone in Pride, including Rampage.
Chuck got smashed by Rampage back then in Pride.

Shogun prime > Chuck prime

But Shogun is not in his prime now. He was still better in Pride.

Chuck NEVER had a good chin. The day he started fighting legit strikers, he started getting KO'd.

Chuck is 40 years old.

Period, end of discussion.

I still think Shogun vs Chuck in 2005 would have gone the way of the Shogun imo. Chuck was dominating the UFC lightheavyweight class, but was doing so against grapplers in Horn, Couture, Babalu, and Tito. None of those guys are known for their striking skills and they played right in to Chuck's game. As soon as a fighter came along (Rampage) who was a good striker and wasn't afraid to trade with Chuck, he got KO'd. I don't think it would have been the blowout it was last April, but I would still have given my pick to Shogun back in 05.

Bobby Lupo -  Chuck of '05 beats Shogun of '05, just like prime Chuck beats Prime Wandy. That Chute Boxe bezerker style would get both of them KTFO by a counter.

Chuck's idea of countering was getting absolutely blasted in the chin by grapplers and then throwing a haymaker back at them.

No way that works against prime wandy or shogun of any era.

Bobby Lupo -  Chuck of '05 beats Shogun of '05, just like prime Chuck beats Prime Wandy. That Chute Boxe bezerker style would get both of them KTFO by a counter.

Exactly, and that was before Chuck's chin got busted up.

D_S_A - 

Chuck's idea of countering was getting absolutely blasted in the chin by grapplers and then throwing a haymaker back at them.

No way that works against prime wandy or shogun of any era.

This^^

Chuck is very, very lucky he didn't get near Wanderlei in Pride.

Shogun would have been too much for Chuck back then too.  But it would've been a great fight.

32Hunter - Chuck barely made it past a smaller gassing Overeem Shogun would've "killed" him.

Overeem was owning Shogun too

Overeems owns everybody for the first couple of minutes.

"The Shogun that fought Machida would beat anyone at LHW"

I disagree completely. I thought he beat Machida but that particular point scoring approach would certainly not beat "anyone at LHW". Someone more aggressive than Machida would have attacked Shogun more.

We also forget how Chuck can knock out fighters who beat Shogun while walking backwards.