The direction of BJJ makes me sad

I feel like I’ve seen more than a few standing RNC’s over the years.

Randori also fosters hatred among the students, which is bad.

1 Like

Yeah I’m sure taking down the vast majority of untrained idiots on the street would be a monumental task.

1 Like

Meh… he was merely a UFC fighter who fought for a title in the SPORT of MMA.

He also beat Dean Lister, Margarida & Ricardo Almeida BUT that was all SPORT grappling.

You need to find a CERTIFIED Gracie Garage run by a Blue Belt to REALLY learn how to fight. In a REAL (non-sport) fight, Dave Terrell would probably be pretty helpless. Not sure he has much to teach you.

–I’m pretty sure HillboFrateTrain would agree with me.

7 Likes

Lol!!

Agree 100%, OP.

The issue is twofold.

1.) BJJ as a business. You have to tone it down to make it palatable for the masses. It’s the same thing that happened with McDojos. You make the adult class easier, you take the pain and the grind out of it, you add in a bunch of kids’ classes, and suddenly you’re making a profit. Personally, I miss the days of training in a garage with a bunch of meatheads. It was pure, it was real, and it truly showed what was effective and what wasn’t. The guys of today wouldn’t make it in that sort of environment–they don’t have the mentality for it–and the guys of yesterday wouldn’t have any interest in a modern BJJ gym.

2.) Royce’s guard work influence from the early UFCs. BJJ is so much more than guard work. But because of him impact and his success, suddenly the defining aspect of BJJ became the guard. Real, effective BJJ should look more like Khabib’s fights than Aoki’s, but you have entire generations flopping to their backs because that’s BJJ. I know, because I was guilty of this myself. And it took a long time to get out of that habit. Most BJJ gyms don’t make the distinction between MMA techniques and sport techniques, it’s all just BJJ, and they don’t emphasize top position, fighting for top position, or when you should and shouldn’t be using a technique. Controlling someone and pounding their head in when they’re turtled is just as much BJJ as putting your hooks in and going for an RNC, but nobody teaches that.

6 Likes

THIS BIG TIME. insanely big peeve of mine

1 Like

I miss those days

But the sports have evolved

My school is an mma/bjj school. If u don’t wanna do worm guard etc just find an mma school. Even if u do just the ground classes you’ll most likely find that they are not inverting too much.
I like sport bjj at the high level but it’s just not what we do

1 Like

Your gym sounds like a good place to train. It’s amazing how the “MMA” night at a lot gyms seems to just be no gi BJJ. No real integration of striking, no clinch or transitional work. Just the same stuff you’d see in a regular BJJ class.

1 Like

My gym smells like shit & ringworms are breeding under the mat.
But thanx.
Near me like 7 sport bjj schools (for those woth the $ to afford to go there) , one Gracie self defense place for old ladies who wanna learn to escape the deadly headlock. And a couple strait mma schools.
I assume mma ones teach grappling like I do (I HOPE they ain’t teaching the new “fancy boy guard” that all the sport bjj guys that pass thru try.
They rarely last.
Cause we have a rule unique to my place.
If someone is showing you a move- or just drilling it…
And it takes 4 steps… you slap them in the face.
Happens couple times a week.
Someone says
“can I try a move from the octopussy guard that I saw online?”.
My guys will say “sure” as the gym vets all turn to stare in anticipation…
And the poor new guy is like
“let’s see …my foot goes in your armpit, then I push off and spin 39 degrees port, next I reach under your crotch and grab your belt, then I slide my other knee …”
WHACK!
They are like “WTF?? YOU SLAPPED ME!!”
“That fuckin hurt.”

Uke will say-
“Sry bro but coach has a rule that if youre drilling a move and you do 4 things in the time that I don’t get to do anything… I’m supposed to hit u in the face. “

A year later when I see the guy who got slapped… slap another new guy… well it warms my heart.
I hope one day every school will institute what we call the “reality slap”.
Try all the guns u can. Sport bjj is great. But if u like more mma grappling… just gotta find it.

9 Likes

Hahaha that is awesome! Love it.

1 Like

I want this story to be real life so bad lol

4 Likes

It stems from me getting a kenpo blackbelt. Where all we did was youd pretend to punch me, id grab your wrist, id chop your chest, id trip u, id “neutralize” you with a hammer fist.
All done with zero resistance. And all useless. I realized in time that if u throw a punch and I block it then step behind you. It should be your turn. I can’t throw other moves. In the old days that’s how martial arts were taught. One guy standing there & the other cycling moves.
To be honest I can’t recall exactly how the rule started. But I think it was a joke that took off

100% agree with you. It’s sad to see Jiu Jitsu lose its teeth.

So nobody has a collection of videos of bjj people getting beat up in street fights? There’s plenty of uploaded evidence that it works, but I keep reading all these comments here as if there’s some massive shortcoming.

Oh man, so sad to see BJJ become so irrelevant!

1 Like

You could still win 99 percent of street fights with the ol Royce Gracie front kick to body lock takedown to mount to RNC lol

Lmfao if the poor bastard is wearing a jacket

6 Likes

BJJ for women to defend themselves from men is a fucking joke as well. Unless she’s being attacked by and defending herself from another woman, bjj isn’t going to do shît outside of maybe a triangle if she’s REALLY game otherwise.

3 Likes

Cool. Thanks for the heads up

Just subscribed. Thanks

1 Like