The FREAK!

Your analogy to playing the guitar and switching to drums is a bad one, and entirely false.

Alex Ross draws realistic images, as do many other artists, without copying a photograph down detail for detail.

I love it. ...I will be ordering something next week

ttt

Actually, Alex Ross is a bad example. He very much takes photographs for every frame, often multiple pictures for each of the different elements, using human models, plastic ones, and props. That is how he captures shading and such.

It is one of the reasons his characters have a more realistic feel than most comics.

Look at some of the Astro City collections. In the back of one or two they have some of the pics he used for specific frames.

I was going to suggest that he probably uses some real life models or something. I really don't think it's possible to do 'realistic' work without using a reference. I mean you have the artistic license to change things, but it's just not really possible to make something like 'real' from your imagination.

The closest I can think of that I've seen is Burne Hogarth...his drawings look cool, but they are very much action comic style, they don't look realistic. It's hard to explain without seeing it.

JCryan, I've seen many different photos of Fryklund after the fight...gotta say this one is my favorite.

ttt, good stuff as always brad :)

bradu,

It was a good effort, but I really don't think that any artistic recreation will ever capture the intensity of the original photo. First of all the photo background is very plain -drawing all attention to the image of Fryklund. Next, the contrast of blood against Fryklund's skin tone really draws all of your attention to the hideous river of blood cascading down Fryklund's face. Lastly, the photo's value is in the fact that the image is REAL. This fact in itself gives the photograph more gravity.

I think that your background takes away from the image of Fryklund. I understand that you are trying to create a sense of dynamicism and emotion from the background, but Jesus Christ, it looks like someone hit Fryklund with an axe! That image doesn't need any flashy background to communicate Frylunds's emotions. Next, your color palate for Fryklund himself doesn't quite bring out the blood like Frylund's natural skin tone. If you were to take another shot at this, I would suggest you stick with a monochrome palate (save Fryklund's blood) and find a color that will really bring out the bloodiness of Fryklund. Next, I would suggest a very plain or subdued background.

Those are just my 2 cents. Nice effort.

fos

Sovann, where were you tonight? You missed some awesome fights!

5 O clock shadow, thanks for the well thought out feedback. I'm gonna be offline a couple days but will respond to you when I get back.

Brad,

It was my little guy's 4th B-day. Which reminds me I still need to have you paint a pic of him and Katherine, but funds are still low.

Whoever said that the background adds a 3D effect was dead on. When you sit back and look at the picture, the image pops. Definitely a cool effect.

I admire your work.

awesome! you have talent

DiscoNfrno,

Thanks for the reply! :)

post original pic plz

Bradu, do you mind me asking what your teacher thinks of you painting/drawing MMA stuff all the time?

Bradu,

I didn't get an e-mail. Try it again.

Thanks,

rob@ffc.tv

dude page three of this thread

:)

guys, been away a few days so I'll try to catch up...

Five o clock shadow,
"It was a good effort, but I really don't think that any artistic recreation will ever capture the intensity of the original photo"

I don't disagree with this statement. It's one hell of a great photo, but that's not going to discourage me from attempting to capture the ferocity of the moment.

As far as the background, people will have differing opinions. Quite a few people have said they really liked it...I am pretty happy with it though I still plan to change it just a bit as I mentioned earlier. You are right, my background is an attempt to capture some of the emotion of the piece...I'm well aware that in the art world, a snazzy background is a bit of a no-no, but I don't always do things the right way, it's just me. I sometimes like a background that is chaotic, that may even cause you to lose the main focus of the painting (my Enson painting is another example...big no-no in the art world, but I don't really give a crap, I like it.)

My color choices were designed specifically to bring out the blood. The greenish color of Fryklund's skin is the complement of the blood red...It does give the blood a 'glow' because of this, but I will admit it doesn't have the effect I expected. I expected the blood to really pop out, but I think because the red and green are a similar value, they get lost together and almost play tricks on your eyes. I don't dislike it, but it's not what I intended and I see what you're saying. Thanks again for the honest feedback.

Lobo,
"I also think the facial expression on the painting is different from Fryklund's original expression.
Maybe this was intended."

It was not intended, but the facial expression is one of the things that was causing me problems with this painting, and I wasn't sure I had it right just yet. So maybe I'll keep plugging away at it. I planned to work with the background some more and maybe some details of the figure, this would be one of them.

Sovann,
Happy birthday to the little guy. Too bad you missed out on a great night of fights! Maybe the tape will be available soon.

Liverkick, again this is one of the effects I was going for, I'm glad it worked in your eyes. The reason it pops so much is because of the value contrast between the figure (mostly medium-dark values) and the areas just behind it (the reds and yellows, which are lighter values). The bright colors also contrast with the green.