The Natural Explains Why Ngannou Was ‘Rubbed The Wrong Way’ By PFL

1 Like

After signing with the PFL in May of 2023, there is still no news regarding when Francis Ngannou will be making his debut in the SmartCage.

Several factors have led to this postponement like the success he had against Tyson Fury in boxing and the tragic loss of his son earlier this year.

The one big development regarding his career in the PFL was the recent announcement that PFL Africa will launch in the second quarter of 2025, with the former UFC heavyweight champion acting as the Chairman.
This was a crucial aspect in his decision to sign with the promotion following his UFC departure but Randy Couture believes it may have been even more significant regarding his future in the PFL.

Randy Couture Says Francis Ngannou’s PFL Africa Role Has Been Crucial To His Continued Involvement

In a recent interview with InsideFighting, PFL commentator Randy Couture said that the confirmation of PFL Africa could have helped to keep Ngannou with the promotion.

The former UFC light heavyweight and heavyweight champion stated that he believes that Ngannou may have felt at odds with the promotion after the PFL vs Bellator Champions event earlier this year.
When Renan Ferreira stopped Ryan Bader in the main event, the PFL looked to set up the Brazilian as their big-money signing’s debut opponent in the SmartCage but Ngannou didn’t seem overly enthused by the idea.

Couture says that it can’t be underestimated how much this role as Chairman of PFL Africa means to Ngannou because of his want to give back to others who come from similar backgrounds.

“I think there’s been a little blip after the boxing and Fury and then losing in the next one and they were pushing him to say, ‘Yes I want to take on Renan Ferreira,’ the winner of this champions vs champions and Francis was there at cage side and I think that rubbed Francis the wrong way a little bit.

“But, at the end of the day, this opportunity to be the Chairman for PFL Africa is what kept him there [at PFL] and I think it means a lot to him. As much as him continuing to develop his legacy and establish himself as one of the best heavyweight mixed martial artists in the world and certainly an amazing boxer at this stage of things too, I think this chairmanship in Africa means a lot to him and he wants to do something special for his countrymen.”

1 Like

I’m confused, is Randy saying that Francis is upset and unhappy with PFL because they want him to actually fight…for PFL?

I hope that’s not real, because wtf else is Francis expecting?

He thought he’d never have to fight for the PFL title and could just keep losing whatever boxing matches he could get?

Is this bizarro world? Maybe Dana was right for a change to not concede to his boxing demands.

6 Likes

OR Nates , Vitor Boxed a One off and it was Over/

1 Like

It’s weird that they all over-estimate their own value, especially with the timing of it all.

Like guys have zero concept of how fame and popularity work and think because they were big popular stars in the world of MMA years ago that when they’re 40yrs old and years out of their physical and popularity primes they will somehow rake it in by starting to box.

:exploding_head:

Literally one MMA guy was successful in boxing, Conman McFelon. As much as I dislike that trash human, he was at the peak of his popularity when he boxed (which was a damn high peak) and he boxed an all time great.

Francis was the second success because he lucked out somehow getting a match with Fury as a reigning champion.

3rd would be people like Nate and Woodley who only had any success because of Jake Paul, which is not a good look on their popularity.

So it’s funny that you could argue 3 guys had some level of success but only one was on their own merit carrying near-equal weight into the success of the boxing match.

Maybe all these guys are surrounded by a bunch of yes men that want a piece of that small pie and refuse to tell the truth for fear of being cut out of the circle.

3 Likes

I totally forgot about Francis and the PFL. It would be interesting if he got clubbed in the back of the head by Renan and lost.

Happy that Francis is doing well into business aspect, but not really interested in his upcoming fight or fights unless he gets lucky punch KO’d.

I would add Ben Askren to your list.

Sure, he got ko’d in the first round (did anyone expect anything different?), but he also got the biggest payday of his career.

2 Likes

Agreed, crossed my mind and I meant to, good call.

2 Likes

I don’t know why he’d be rubbed the wrong way for them to want him to call out the champ.

2 Likes

He only signed up to box and be the chairman of Africa and get rich.

1 Like

i think francis is wanting big paydays to not fight. maybe hes made so much in those two boxing matches we will never see him in mma again.

hes probably wanting pfl to start some africa promotion, and receive profit sharing like he is the african dana white, and just retire doing that.

i think thats why ONE cut off talks with him, he was wanting stakes in the company, paydays to not fight.

3 Likes

He’ll take another boxing match with a Joe Joyce type before he does a PFL fight…He’ll never do MMA again

1 Like

2 Likes

Be good fight for Wilder
Deontay Wilder Boxing GIF by SHOWTIME Sports

3 Likes

Wilder is DONE done.

After he knocks out Francis.

:rofl:

2 Likes

correct

1 Like

Because Francis has always been a drama queen. I’ve been saying this forever, but everyone was sweet on him for leaving the UFC. Dude is literally crying about being afforded the opportunity to fight the world champion…… I’m sure the UFC is glad to be rid of that headache,

3 Likes

They would have preferred he didn’t leave as champ

1 Like

I hope we never see him box again (unless you wanna see him lose). Unless he’s happy getting a big pay day again and getting hurt!