The True Story of "Ref KO's Cornerman"

Fuck it, if you lose you should just be allowed to cuss, slap, or piss on the referee till you feel better. Fuck the ref, if he doesn't like the abuse he should get another job.  Someone needs to post that video of Guida pulling a "pete rose" on that ref.

I have grabbed guys up by their throats when I was reffing before because they were striking their opponent after the bell..

I have shoved guys into their corners when they were gloating over someone who had been ko'ed..

And I have yelled alot....

I have yet to hit anyone, in the 125 fights I have reffed...I really dont see in that vid where it was necessary...A simple, blocking the way of the guy, making him leave seems like it would have worked. Yet he didnt, he was on the wrong side of the guy to do that.. I dont understand why they were in there in the first place..Noone comes in my cage except a doctor. It is my job to control the cage.

The main thing a ref does in CONTROL everything in the cage. EVERYTHING. The question is, did he feel that was what he needed to do to control the situation and why..why was he out the cage door and the guy IN the cage?

It hurts my eyes to read his points. 

Trolls out with hate...sheesh

Not sure what you consider assault. The law cites it as the willingfull intent to provoke fear of bodily harm toward another person. This is what he did to me before I defended myself in the video. What you are thinking of is battery bro. That was what he inflicted on myself and my girlfriend when he punched me with my back turned.

"Not sure what you consider assault."

You were assaulted, no doubt, but, I have to question, Why was he in YOUR cage?

one of those unfortunate things in life where nobody wins

TrainJudo - I have grabbed guys up by their throats when I was reffing before because they were striking their opponent after the bell..

I have shoved guys into their corners when they were gloating over someone who had been ko'ed..

And I have yelled alot....

I have yet to hit anyone, in the 125 fights I have reffed...I really dont see in that vid where it was necessary...A simple, blocking the way of the guy, making him leave seems like it would have worked. Yet he didnt, he was on the wrong side of the guy to do that.. I dont understand why they were in there in the first place..Noone comes in my cage except a doctor. It is my job to control the cage.

The main thing a ref does in CONTROL everything in the cage. EVERYTHING. The question is, did he feel that was what he needed to do to control the situation and why..why was he out the cage door and the guy IN the cage?

It hurts my eyes to read his points. 
Perfectly stated.

Victory Jay -  Video looks like the altercation could have been avoided all together had security not allowed anyone else into the ring in the first place..

Again, perfectly stated.

I would only add to what VJ and TJ have said by saying I would of called for security to take him out. Punching the guy just started a small riot, the problem just escallated.

On the other hand...

For the few that think it's OK for someone to disobey the ref, you are simply incorrect. It's the refs ring, he controls it, he can let in and kick out who he wants. The ref needs to be reasonable in his actions though and be a good steward of the ring/cage.

At anyrate, I hope you don't get into any trouble over this.

From watching that video, I think you could just as easily be charged with assault. Corner men come into the ring to help a fallen fighter all the time. It looked as though he wasnt happy but turned around to walk away and you put your hands on him and made him turn around, he then grabs your hand and you lay him out. That was a bitch manouver spawned from fear and panic on your behalf IMO.

I'm not saying that him sucker punching you into your GF was right but what you did in that cage was on the same level.

oxvaletudo,

you should have posted your explanation of what happened in the cage sooner.My initial reaction to the video was wtf did that guy do to deserve that?

The whole situation sucks. I would personally let the whole thing go.The police involvement can only make it harder for the sport to grow in your area.I also would not be reffing any more fights if I were in your shoes.

You didn't have to hit him.

It sucks that your girlfriend had to see you get jumped, but shit, you did knock the guy out in front of lots of people when he most likely wasn't expecting it. It would have been safe to assume the minute he laid eyes on you again, you were going to have to defend yourself.

You hit him, he hit you. let it go.

the 'Kage Killers' huh? yup, hard to imagine they'd be shithead lowlifes attacking refs...why would you wanna ref MMA in tennessee anyway? I can only imagine how many 'corey vs travis vs hunter vs darrel fights there are at those things....

I totally understand you. BUT, you DID throw the first punch in the ring, even if it was in defense for what he was going to do. I dont have anything against that, i've knocked out people for less. Whatever, thats that, its finished.

But when the guy sucker punched you from behind, you really shouldve been expecting something. I mean you KO'd him in front of his team and everyone, you shouldve known there was gonna be some sort of retaliation. For some reason you turn your back to a man you previously KO'd (i would never do this) and then you get hit and im sure you actually fought back.

I really disapprove of getting the law involved. Handle that shit yourself at least. You knocked him out for touching your wrist and swearing at you, man up and fight this guy without the police.

So the point of that FRATacular post was to inform us that this guy later suckered you, but your steel jaw could not be conquered? Jeez. Good luck trying to play the victim card while that incredibly damning video of you assaulting the cornerman still exists!

Cornerman deserved the KO, referees do not exist to be shit on in any sport. Guy proved what a coward he is with a suckerpunch.

I watched that video over and over and it was pretty clear that you were the aggressor.  As a ref you should be able to keep your cool in a situation like that and attempt to diffuse it.  For you to 'feel' threatened and assault that man pretty much sums it up.  You really shouldn't be reffing at all or ever again.

I think what really drives it home is how you try to convey a professional official statement while at the same time making sure we all know how tough and resiliant you are.  As far as your lawyer aggreeing with a post on an internet site written like that is clearly A: degree obtained from matchbook cover or B: total fucking bullshit.

So let me get this right.  You punch a guy in the face and knock his ass out while his hands are at his side.  Said gentleman suckerpunches you in front of your girlfriend and cuts your lip so you call the cops?

You sound about as mature as my 7 year old telling on his older brother for calling him a dickhead. 

This is it in a nutshell. Particularly for all you green namers. The situation in the video was at an event that was later deemed unsanctioned. There was no security at ringside, nor anyone from my camp present to look after me if something were to happen. This was all posted at the original youtube vid. The promoter expresses appologies and takes full responsibility for what happened due to neglegence of security. You can read all this. It is simple to say you need to have control, but it is difficult when you are the only official in the house. If you tell someone they are barred from ringside, and they step up in your face and shove you, what do you do? When you look around and everyone else is afraid to enforce what you say, then what do you do? This team has been barred from numerous events, because of their violent antics. When this guy gave me the look and grabbed me the way he did, he moved like he wanted to fight. I knew it and he knew it. And I wasn't sure if anyone would be there to intervene. He is a ten year veteran martial artist, head coach, and host of numerous boxing video tapes(mark hatmaker series). He should have known better. If I put a gun to your head, but don't pull the trigger, I still assaulted you. If he is trained well, he can hurt you even if he is throwing from the hip.
Still, that is all old news. The fact is that I dealt with that situation months ago, taking the heat politically. I went to a public event LAST NIGHT in which I was invited, and was punched in the back of the head. Was I supposed to turn and attack the guy without provocation because I KNOW he's gonna hit me? Well that's what I took so much heat for in the last instance. How do I win?. I'm filing the lawsuit because it endangered someone I care for. Regardless of your opinions, that is going to happen. Simply stating my story to the community it involves.

"I felt threatened" is just a way to leave a legal window open for what you did. But really, did you really feel threatened?

It could of been handled differently. I think that it looks like a split second misjudgment and nothing you should be crucified for although I think you should seriously do some thinking before you offer your reffing services. Does anyone even want you to ref there events since this?

Good luck and I wish you the best. Some of the things that you are reading here are probably not what you want to hear, just take some time and think about what people are saying here. The people that disagree with you are not really off base at all.

Ive never heard anything negative about Casey,Always working hard for the sport but the cage incident was rediclous.That set MMA back for sure and this new situation however wrong definitly is stemming from the original.I think alot of this could have been avoided if Casey made a sincere apology after the original incident(which the other guy deserved in my opinion).I wasnt there but just watching the vid you posted defitly didnt help your case.

As a person that provides security at MMA events....your actions were not justified.