The True Story of "Ref KO's Cornerman"

Dang I write slow.

The above written is just based of what I saw... I'm going to watch it a few more times. I'm trying to give the benifit of the doubt.

Casey,

Right or wrong...I'da done the same as you, considering the circumstances. If you felt that this dude was fixing to hit you, then by all means, floor his ass.

All you haters, with the "shoulda"s and such, have you ever been in that situation? No? Then shut the f&ck up. Try to "de-escalate" had almost gotten my head kicked in before. Nowadays, if you step to me, I WILL hit first. Period. Watch the tape, again, haters. Imagine a BJM or Mirgliotta in this dudes position, imagine a Deligrotte-type cornerman step up and spout of like that, and ask yourself what'd happen next if THAT ref was surrounded by a crowd of pissed off fans. EXACTLY!

F&ck the haters man! and LOL at that clown "restoring his honor" with a bitch-move from behind.

I don't know, man. I hear what you're saying, but the video says you jumped the gun. When he turned around, you should've walked away. It looks like you had your hand up at his chest level, he tries to move your hand, then yall get dumb and you blast him. I would've wanted revenge too, to be honest.

so did you feel threatened by him and his years of martial arts/boxing video hosting

OR

did his best haymaker not hurt you at all?

lol

victorpoprock - 
newbloodmma -  Fuck it, if you lose you should just be allowed to cuss, slap, or piss on the referee till you feel better. Fuck the ref, if he doesn't like the abuse he should get another job.  Someone needs to post that video of Guida pulling a "pete rose" on that ref.

I hope you're kidding.

If not, you are the biggest moron I've ever encountered on any forum.
if you can't tell if i am kidding or not than who is the moron?

sorry victorp i usually get a bit hasty when someone calls me a moron, but had you read the entire thread instead of trying to pick out a post that you think you could reply to with a smartass response which in turn would have made you to look intelligent we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Hammersquash -    I watched that video over and over and it was pretty clear that you were the aggressor.  As a ref you should be able to keep your cool in a situation like that and attempt to diffuse it.  For you to 'feel' threatened and assault that man pretty much sums it up.  You really shouldn't be reffing at all or ever again.
  I think what really drives it home is how you try to convey a professional official statement while at the same time making sure we all know how tough and resiliant you are.  As far as your lawyer aggreeing with a post on an internet site written like that is clearly A: degree obtained from matchbook cover or B: total fucking bullshit.
  So let me get this right.  You punch a guy in the face and knock his ass out while his hands are at his side.  Said gentleman suckerpunches you in front of your girlfriend and cuts your lip so you call the cops?
  You sound about as mature as my 7 year old telling on his older brother for calling him a dickhead. 

+1

This guy has no business being a ref or anything else for that matter at any MMA events.

I couldn't see BJM, Herb, Mario or Steve M doing what that dude did. A true professional would have deescalated that situation immediately, authoritatively and without incident.

He may be a cool guy and all and have a squeeky clean track record but he really did fuck up majorly in this instant and the effects will rightfully haunt him and the sport in his state for a very long time.

I watched it about 40 times now.

1. At about the 38-40 second mark you can see this guy let himslef into the cage, wtf.

2. At the 50-52 second mark the ref is clearly instructing the guy to get out of the cage.

3. The guy looks like he's leaving after that.

4. At the 55 second mark the ref says something to make the guy turn back around and enage instead of him continuing to leave.

5. At about the 1:00 mark the guy starts to lip off now and point a finger which hits the refs wrist.

6. The ref trys a wrist control grab which fails at 1:01 when the guy disobeys and disregaurds the refs authority.

7. I can't tell for sure but the guys does something to make the ref be pushed back and jerked forward, the guy did something real fast with his right arm against the ref, watch both of the guys arms before he gets knocked out. He is clearly challenging the ref phyically using both arms.

8. The guy clearly was threatening the ref. He engaged physically then dropped both of his hands to mad dog the ref like a defiant tough guy.

9. Right about at the 1:03 point a third person is rushing into the cage and barely starts to get his hand between the two when the ref knocks out the first guy.

The guy who got into the cage and who was clearly instructed to get out looks like a complete asshole here. The only thing that keeps him from looking bad is the fact that the ref knocked him out. If the ref had never knocked him out we would all be talking about what a dick that guy was who wouldn't leave the cage.

I have reffed fights before and have done a friggin ton of cornering. I think this was a really fucking fucked up deal with just the right combination of things that lined up and exploded. A fucked up asshole in the ring, a ref that wasn't going to take shit, and a promotion with apparently no security.

I sure would have been nice if the guy hadn't got knocked out... and that was a nice KO btw. At a party that would have rocked. But like I said, I've reffed before and know that you have to make split decisions. I don't think it looks good for MMA, not just that a ref knocked out an asshole in the ring, that it was such a poorly ran event. I have simpathy for the ref, with that said it still didn't look good either.

The blame should not rest only on the ref, the asshole gets some blame and the promoter too. It doesn't look good to have a ref be put in a position where he has to protect himself. It really doesn't look good to have a ref knock someone out in the cage, I just don't put heavy blame on the ref, just some blame.

just some questions so i get the jist. mind you, casey, i would jump the gun if i felt for sure someone was going to attack me.

1) if you were afraid due to his team and their antics, and you were there alone w/out back, why didn't his crew put the screws to you afterwards? it sounds likeyou walked away scott free from 'crazed maniacs'. it's how it looks, not necessarily what's what.

2) why sue? i think it's just better to call the guy and say it's squashed. even. it looks like you sucker punched him. "LOOKS". i was not there, can't judge, but that video isn't painting you in a good light. i know his suckerpunch wasn't right, w/ innocents around, but your gf wasn't hurt, right? isn't it just best to let it slide? bygones be bygones. why sue? i hate the notion of someone getting sued.

anyways, as i said, if he was going to jump, it's best that you leap like you did w/ the first hit. better than to be assaulted.

OK this is getting stupider by the second. If the promoter doesn't provide enough security and a cornerman has to be physically restrained or neutralized, it's no different than an unruly spectator that gets out of hand and grabs someone. Who is in charge of protectng anyone in the venue from drunk idiots or stupid cornemen?

What would any of you do if someone grabbed you? I have been around longer than most of the screen names posting here. If you don't believe me ask around.

You mean no one here has ever had to strike someone that grabbed them in a hostile manner before?

If after the irresponsible promoter or commissioner fail to maintain control and safety of fans, fighters, coaches, and any other people in attenedance then it's everyman for themself. Is that how it's supposed to go?

It's extremely low class to act the way the corner acted.

Then after all that to see people defending him with his sucker punch at the next place!

Hope he has to get a lawyer and spend money defending himself. Maybe big dogg or tae kwon do dawg or whome ever his crew is will help him pay the lawyer bill. Or maybe he qualifies for a public defender and he gets the last laugh.

Either way it's no surprise to hear that he and his crew seem to justify the sucker punch in addition to the classless way he acted in the cage.

I guess Casey needed his own private security crew to look out for him when he did his job as a ref or walked down the hall at the next venue?

If people want to get some where in this sport then they need to act right. If not then it's up to promoters and commissions.

In the meantime if you don't like getting dropped on youtube, don't start trouble on youtube.

T Rojas,

primetimefighters.net

I live in a state with a very well ran commission. The chances of something like happening in North Dakota are nil.

I really think that the ref should be mad at some people for letting this situation happen in the first place.

I watched that video about 20 times when it was first posted. Without the benefit of having been there up close, the punch looked unecessary and I don't see anything that looks like the other guy made any physical contact with you at all. In fact it actually looks like you escalated the situation after the guy started to walk away.

The guy who got in the cage is clearly at fault for that but I don't think the fact that he attacked you a month later to get revenge (or whatever) changes anything about what happened in the original incident.

The whole thing stinks.

So you knew that:

1- It was an unsanctioned event.
2- There were no security.
3- You had no back up.
4- A team known for this kind of tactic was being represented.

And you still decided to be a ref?

Doesnt sound like a sound choice by anyone, let alone someone trying to improve the image of MMA in their state.

I know we are delving into the stupid "what if" realm here, but just how exactly does a ref, with no security back-up, "professionally de-escalate the situation" there, PTM?? Use an authoritative tone in your voice??? Give me a break man.Shit got heated, the dickhead cornerman stepped up tough and got popped.PTM2020...just how EXACTLY do you propose de-escalating that situation??Right or wrong, I'd have done the same thing.

edited for spelling

So then he eats his payback by getting jumped in the hallway. now he presses charges?

this shit stinks.

There were a couple of the guys that ran in the cage after me. Dean Hamilton(the winner of the bout in question) actually jumped in and pulled me out. After the video occurred, myself and the promoter of the Knox event Doug Powell, both attended a meeting with the state athletic commission. It was a very long process that we felt might not happen. Doug had spoked with us regularly and seemed to resolve the situation somewhat. Everyone had to work in this market, and we needed to move forward in order to secure the sanctioning. There was talk of having a sanctioned fight against one another, but I was informed that he had some sort of issue with his heart that prevented him from passing the fight exam. Therefore it was ensured that there would be nothing further on the matter. Things were fine for 2 months. Then I arrive at an event, believing that I will do as we agreed and act professional during the event. Without a word, he walked up behind me and punched me in the face. I tried to squash it from the start man, but what do you do?

You both need to drop this bullshit before it get out of hand, more than it already is. We don't want to see this shit on CNN or ESPN. Just leave it be. You two need to talk to each other and man up. Just say your piece and he says his. Then let it be over.

oxvaletudo,

If you were the ref, they you were the one that was wrong from what I saw.

Just watching that video the ref needed his ass kicked. I don't know what was being said, but obviously there was a verbal confortation that is not unusal in a highly emotional combat sport. However, an escalated voice gives someone the right to punch someone else.Moreover, the clip shows the ref as the aggressor. The other guy turned around to walked towards the door of the cage and the ref follows him over there, then it looks like the ref grabs the other guys hand/arm. When the other guy tries to pulls his arm away, the ref clocks him with a cheap shot.

Skip to 2:20 mark.

Roadhouse

3 min 45 sec

www.youtube.com