The Truth about Krav Maga - Fraud (here's why)

Krav maga is not a real martial art in the sense that it does not work on people that know how to fight. But againt people that dont know shit about fighting, normal people; it can prove to be useful. I still think its a waste of time to train in it. Their techniques arent anything special, and they do have the right idea in that in the streets its a bit of different fighting environment but your stil better off training a legit martial art like jujitsu or muay thai.

I knew a Krav instructor from BJJ. He's a purple belt who also boxes at Gleason's. I dropped in on a couple of his classes. Lots of bootcamp style conditioning and basic striking/judo/BJJ. I saw nothing dodgy at all. They sparred at 60%, rolled hard with a concentration on sweeps and bottom escapes. Seemed legit.

Bobby Lupo - I knew a Krav instructor from BJJ. He's a purple belt who also boxes at Gleason's. I dropped in on a couple of his classes. Lots of bootcamp style conditioning and basic striking/judo/BJJ. I saw nothing dodgy at all. They sparred at 60%, rolled hard with a concentration on sweeps and bottom escapes. Seemed legit.
Isnt that just mma tho? Seems like krav is on "legit" when its, well, not krav. Phone Post 3.0

*only Phone Post 3.0

GIBB0 - 
burner22 -
onepunchcombo -
Polar_beatdown - My friend used to do krav maga. One time we were at his apartment and he was showing his "skills" to a chick, like a bang bro. He was doing that usual "Put your hands on my throat and I will show you how to escape" bullshit. After the the demonstration my friend turned his back and the girl fucking jumped on his back and took him on nice and tight rear naked choke and started screaming "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA DO NOW!!!!". He didnt want to tap to girl so hi collapsed on the floor after few seconds. When he woke up, it was the basic "What happened bro?" moment. I was laughing my ass off and told him that "You just got choked out by a little girl, fuck your krav maga". He stopped doing krav in a few months. :) Phone Post
If the RNC is sunk, you're pretty much toast. They only real defense is to tuck your chin before it gets sunk. You can try to go for eyes, groin etc...was the guy willing to do that to some chick? Phone Post 3.0

And here is where u reveal your ignorance. Someone has you in a RNC you have no chance of eye gouging them, and attack the groin? Please. Your going to sleep homie.
Your only slim hope is to turn your head, put 2 hands on their top hand and peel it off. See fitch/ silva.
That is the difference between learning techniques that work and " oh if it was a real fight I'd just eye gouge them". Twit Phone Post

There's the Bas Rutten step around technique if they don't have their hooks in, I've done this when someone (jokingly) put on a RNC and it worked. Phone Post 3.0

I think you all missed the part where I said...If it's sunk in you're pretty much toast. Turning your head in the direction of the attacker's hands...chin tucked...explosive plucking of the hands downward as you punch your shoulder into the attacker's chest...opens up space for you to get out....but this can only happen if the choke is not in.

The eye gouge...nut shot...was an "oh shit" option if you need to take one. I guess it's just me...but I'm going to try everything I can to get out of it...

onepunchcombo - 
Polar_beatdown - My friend used to do krav maga. One time we were at his apartment and he was showing his "skills" to a chick, like a bang bro. He was doing that usual "Put your hands on my throat and I will show you how to escape" bullshit. After the the demonstration my friend turned his back and the girl fucking jumped on his back and took him on nice and tight rear naked choke and started screaming "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA DO NOW!!!!". He didnt want to tap to girl so hi collapsed on the floor after few seconds. When he woke up, it was the basic "What happened bro?" moment. I was laughing my ass off and told him that "You just got choked out by a little girl, fuck your krav maga". He stopped doing krav in a few months. :) Phone Post
If the RNC is sunk, you're pretty much toast. They only real defense is to tuck your chin before it gets sunk. You can try to go for eyes, groin etc...was the guy willing to do that to some chick? Phone Post 3.0

hahaha, did you learn this from watching UFC or something? There certainly are escapes after the choke is sunk, especially assuming the victim (a guy) has a significant strength advantage over the person applying the choke (a girl). Problem is he probably never trained them in KM.

onepunchcombo - 
GIBB0 - 
burner22 -
onepunchcombo -

And here is where u reveal your ignorance. Someone has you in a RNC you have no chance of eye gouging them, and attack the groin? Please. Your going to sleep homie.
Your only slim hope is to turn your head, put 2 hands on their top hand and peel it off. See fitch/ silva.
That is the difference between learning techniques that work and " oh if it was a real fight I'd just eye gouge them". Twit Phone Post

There's the Bas Rutten step around technique if they don't have their hooks in, I've done this when someone (jokingly) put on a RNC and it worked. Phone Post 3.0

I think you all missed the part where I said...If it's sunk in you're pretty much toast. Turning your head in the direction of the attacker's hands...chin tucked...explosive plucking of the hands downward as you punch your shoulder into the attacker's chest...opens up space for you to get out....but this can only happen if the choke is not in.

The eye gouge...nut shot...was an "oh shit" option if you need to take one. I guess it's just me...but I'm going to try everything I can to get out of it...

I find it weird that you're not mentioning trying to peel an arm off with a 2 on 1. Most chicks are not going to have the strength to choke a bigger guy out with only one arm.

HexRei - 
onepunchcombo - 
GIBB0 - 
burner22 -
onepunchcombo -

I find it weird that you're not mentioning trying to peel an arm off with a 2 on 1. Most chicks are not going to have the strength to choke a bigger guy out with only one arm.

I wasn't specifically talking about the girl on guy situation. I'm interested in knowing what the defense on an RNC in a non-MMA situation would be. Especially if someone has a size/strength advantage over you.

I remember when Krav was introduced to the US. During college I worked as a handyman at a high end vacation place on the Cape. One night I picked up a quest at the Logan; she owned a big PR agency, and when we were chatting she told me about this new martial art from Israel that had hired her firm to publicise their efforts.

Since then I have had a lot of people I know do it for varying lengths of time. Some Krav training is super badass, and some is watered down. Same thing can be said of MMA too, unfortunately. There are a lot of people teaching what they call MMA, that have never cornered a single fight, never mind having had a fight.

At its worst, Krav is better than the Monkey Poopoo Fu that comprises the rest of the curriculum at the school. And at its best, it is awesome.

onepunchcombo - 
HexRei - 
onepunchcombo - 
GIBB0 - 
burner22 -
onepunchcombo -

I wasn't specifically talking about the girl on guy situation. I'm interested in knowing what the defense on an RNC in a non-MMA situation would be. Especially if someone has a size/strength advantage over you.

i thought MMA showed style vs style comparisons were largely crap

its not what you train.

its conditioning (mental and physical) along with how well you perform what you know when things fall to shit as well as how out of the box you can think when what you know isn't working.

are all methods guaranteed to work 100% of the time? no. that means no matter how successful your krav/karate/boxing/kung fu/kali/escrima/wrestling/judo/jujitsu/muay thai/tkd/ninjutsu/CCW/whatever hero is there is no guarantee that you won't get your ass kicked.

that search for guarantees, i think, is what what makes MA trends happen. since the 70s (yeah, I'm that old) there've been kung fu, kickboxing, ninjutsu, krav, BJJ and MMA trends and they've all been marketed the same way "you give me money and i'll teach you to do this cool stuff that will make you better than those other fools"

there are no guarantees. train hard, stay out of trouble, know what you can and cannot get away with under the law and hope for the best.

that's all we got.

whoabro - 
Bobby Lupo - I knew a Krav instructor from BJJ. He's a purple belt who also boxes at Gleason's. I dropped in on a couple of his classes. Lots of bootcamp style conditioning and basic striking/judo/BJJ. I saw nothing dodgy at all. They sparred at 60%, rolled hard with a concentration on sweeps and bottom escapes. Seemed legit.
Isnt that just mma tho? Seems like krav is on "legit" when its, well, not krav. Phone Post 3.0

That seems about right—MMA basics taught by an Israeli guy and a hard workout. The only difference was the complete emphasis on getting off the ground as quickly as possible. He was more concerned with getting back to the feet than even introducing the notion of armbars or triangles from guard.

Good point.

Elias Cepeda -
onepunchcombo - I've been taking Krav Maga for six years now. Like anything else you train in, there's legit schools, instructors, and students...and there's the wannabes. I can tell you right now that if I put on some gloves and sparred someone trained in MMA...I'll get my ass handed to me. I know...because I've done it. KM is not designed for that. I'll never get into a "Street Fight" with anyone. If I ever needed to defend myself...I'd do what needed to be done to get myself out of a life threatening situation as quickly and effectively as possible. If you have doubts...find a legit school and try it out. Phone Post 3.0

There are no "real" Krav Maga schools in the sense that they prepare you for real fighting. Israeli Special Forces are real but Krav Maga students are not Israeli Special Forces. 

In our Jewish communities, Krav schools are opening at a rate faster than strip mall karate dojos once did.

They all get told these ARE Israeli Special Forces type trainers and buy into the notion that they'll be a bad ass quickly.

Of course, Tamir Goodman was once hailed as the "Jewish Jordan" here because he scored 35 points a night on subpar Orthodox competition.

It is bullshit and the community eats it up.

Once this hits the suburbs in WASP communities; it is over. Phone Post

juszczec - 
onepunchcombo - 
HexRei - 
onepunchcombo - 
GIBB0 - 
burner22 -
onepunchcombo -

i thought MMA showed style vs style comparisons were largely crap

its not what you train.

its conditioning (mental and physical) along with how well you perform what you know when things fall to shit as well as how out of the box you can think when what you know isn't working.

are all methods guaranteed to work 100% of the time? no. that means no matter how successful your krav/karate/boxing/kung fu/kali/escrima/wrestling/judo/jujitsu/muay thai/tkd/ninjutsu/CCW/whatever hero is there is no guarantee that you won't get your ass kicked.

that search for guarantees, i think, is what what makes MA trends happen. since the 70s (yeah, I'm that old) there've been kung fu, kickboxing, ninjutsu, krav, BJJ and MMA trends and they've all been marketed the same way "you give me money and i'll teach you to do this cool stuff that will make you better than those other fools"

there are no guarantees. train hard, stay out of trouble, know what you can and cannot get away with under the law and hope for the best.

that's all we got.

You hit the nail on the head. One of the things I really like about our head instructor, is that he says the "all you need to do is..." mentality to self defense is BS. We just drill scenarios as close to real life as possible. There's been a few "you don't know what you're talking about" reactions to the "eye-gouge" "groin strike" suggestion I made in my previous post. This wasn't a Krav instructed defense to the RNC, it's just tools in your tool box. Maybe that's all you have. Peeling an arm won't work for most women being attacked by men, smaller guys being attacked by larger guys, older folks being attacked by stronger your people. There are no weight classes, rules, or absolutes in a self-defense situation. Maybe all you have is a groin, eye, bite, foot stomp, available. It may not work, but not fighting back is an absolute. If you go to sleep, you can't defend yourself. There's no ref there to wake you up. In the case of women being attack, it could mean rape.

FYI. I do know of a real-life account where someone was being choked to the point of unconsciousness and a thumb into the eye was the only thing that released the grip of a significantly stronger attacker.

*younger people

Like others are saying, in all martial arts there's good and bad.
A friend of mine is a top KM instructor in Israel trained by Imi Lichtenfeld (founder) and Haim Gidon (top teacher). I trained a little bit (I'm from a wrestling background) and for sure it's more centred on self-defence rather than a sport. Gun and knife stuff, etc. and it is highly respected in that way.

Bas Rutten thinks it's great (and he's a credible source, no?) and has trained with Amir Perets, who also seems pretty legit.

I'd post links, but I'm not a blue-namer any more, so i'm not allowed to, right?

Anyway, their KM school in Israel had all kinds of guest fighters there, helping them improve their techniques. One of my best friends, a freestyle wrestler who placed 5th in the Barcelona Olympics, helped them work on their wrestling - they all wanted to improve in every aspect of martial arts - so don't paint all Krav Maga with the same brush!

Lots of BAD martial arts schools out there, not just KM!

fight quest

onepunchcombo - 

Or you could at least attempt one of the RNC escapes taught in BJJ if you knew some.

reality based arts remind me of jesus