The Truth about Krav Maga - Fraud (here's why)

onepunchcombo - I have a question. It's not a knock against grappling arts, but curiosity. Yesterday, we finished class early and decided to do some light sparring on the ground. I was able to take my opponent's back and attempted a very sloppy RNC (never actually learned the technique...just too much UFC). While I was fighting to get it under the guy's chin, the instructor ran over and started stomping my head (simulated).

All the street fights I've seen (YouTube and real life) rarely involve one person. The instructor wanted to simulate this. Got the message. In this case...I kinda strayed from KM principles and went for a submission instead of an escape. Would have payed dearly in real life.

How would a BJJ practitioner, wrestler, etc handle this? Is this kind of situation addressed in BJJ? I've been seriously considering BJJ to improve my ground skills (or lack there of).. Phone Post 3.0

so, your 'instructor' had you live rolling when you didn't even know what a RNC was? He then mock-stomped on your head to prove a point?

LOL, find a new school buddy. You're getting taken for a ride.

To answer your question: Sure, multiple attacker situations happen. Do you want to roll on the ground when fighting multiple people at once? No. Will you have a choice? Probably fucking not.

The fight is going to go where the numbers take it. Learn BJJ, because at LEAST you will be able to get back to your feet after being taken down.

In Phone Post

hermanitor -
onepunchcombo - I have a question. It's not a knock against grappling arts, but curiosity. Yesterday, we finished class early and decided to do some light sparring on the ground. I was able to take my opponent's back and attempted a very sloppy RNC (never actually learned the technique...just too much UFC). While I was fighting to get it under the guy's chin, the instructor ran over and started stomping my head (simulated).

All the street fights I've seen (YouTube and real life) rarely involve one person. The instructor wanted to simulate this. Got the message. In this case...I kinda strayed from KM principles and went for a submission instead of an escape. Would have payed dearly in real life.

How would a BJJ practitioner, wrestler, etc handle this? Is this kind of situation addressed in BJJ? I've been seriously considering BJJ to improve my ground skills (or lack there of).. Phone Post 3.0

so, your 'instructor' had you live rolling when you didn't even know what a RNC was? He then mock-stomped on your head to prove a point?

To answer your question: Sure, multiple attacker situations happen. Do you want to roll on the ground when fighting multiple people at once? No. Will you have a choice? Probably fucking not.

The fight is going to go where the numbers take it. Learn BJJ, because at LEAST you will be able to get back to your feet after being taken down.
We were mostly practicing escapes. I don't train in BJJ and never learned how to properly apply an RNC. There are some guys in class that have more ground skills than others. It actually was actually a good test because I had to improvise based on the type of situation I was in. I had an opportunity to strike vulnerable areas and get out...I chose the worst option that left me open for another attacker. Phone Post 3.0

OneGloveJimmerson - Interesting topic and holy hell look at that LURKING!

LOL!

I understand what your saying and would never choose to go to the ground in any street situation. If I happen to land there, my goal is to defend myself and work toward getting back to my feet. That's what prompted my curiosity about BJJ application in a multiple attacker situation. What I thought was a one-on-one fight quickly changed to a two person fight. Quickly. Without me seeing it, because I chose to work a choke instead of getting back to my feet. Th instructor was just highlighting this mistake. Honestly, I thank him for that. Phone Post 3.0

hermanitor - 

This is the EXACT correct answer!

soremano - 

Gangnam Style > all other styles.

Like I said in a previous post, I actually have a strong interest in taking BJJ to offset my shortcomings on the ground. That's why I have these questions. Is it encouraged to keep it standing when faced with an attacker? How do you deal with multiple attackers? Weapons? Etc. Phone Post 3.0

onepunchcombo - Like I said in a previous post, I actually have a strong interest in taking BJJ to offset my shortcomings on the ground. That's why I have these questions. Is it encouraged to keep it standing when faced with an attacker? How do you deal with multiple attackers? Weapons? Etc. Phone Post 3.0

Honestly, for the most part those topics are simply not addressed in BJJ schools.

I'm sure there are some legitimate schools that incorporate some of that, but 99% of BJJ classes are conducted as follows: (1) Warm up, (2) technical instruction, e.g., a sweep, sub, etc., (3) pair off with partners to practice what was taught, (4) follow up technical instruction addressing some of the issues the instructor saw various folks having or perhaps teaching a variation of the original technique, and (5) live rolling. 

That's it.  There are some "official" BJJ self-defense techniques, but they're fairly out-dated and often not taught at all.  And only very rarely does a legitimate BJJ school have any kind of "self defense" or "weapons" training beyond them.  (Unless you count MMA training.)

Google "Gracie University" and take a look at their "Gracie Combatives" program.  That's about the most "self-defense" that ever gets taught in typical BJJ schools. 

I think the general consensus is that if you're good at BJJ--and especially if you've added good MMA training on top of it--you're going to be a handful for anybody in a self-defense situation.  And the fact is that unless you really go out of your way to simulate stress when drilling, choreographed gun and multi-opponent techniques are a waste of time.  I knew plenty of "gun techniques" back in my TMA days . . . but I never actually disarmed somebody with a real gun who was really threatening to shoot me, so who knows whether any of them were worth a damn.  But now that I'm pretty good at beating the hell out of somebody standing or on the ground--and I know that because I practice that stuff live--I feel better equipped to defend myself. 

BUFFGEO - 
hermanitor - 

Hate to burst your bubble but you learn how to avoid and recover from takedowns as well in krav maga. Everything is subjective to who your trainer is.

But does op Baby Monkey?

A kick to the nuts is a kick to the nuts. Doesn't matter where you learned it. Phone Post 3.0

MTH -
onepunchcombo - Like I said in a previous post, I actually have a strong interest in taking BJJ to offset my shortcomings on the ground. That's why I have these questions. Is it encouraged to keep it standing when faced with an attacker? How do you deal with multiple attackers? Weapons? Etc. Phone Post 3.0

Honestly, for the most part those topics are simply not addressed in BJJ schools.

I'm sure there are some legitimate schools that incorporate some of that, but 99% of BJJ classes are conducted as follows: (1) Warm up, (2) technical instruction, e.g., a sweep, sub, etc., (3) pair off with partners to practice what was taught, (4) follow up technical instruction addressing some of the issues the instructor saw various folks having or perhaps teaching a variation of the original technique, and (5) live rolling. 

That's it.  There are some "official" BJJ self-defense techniques, but they're fairly out-dated and often not taught at all.  And only very rarely does a legitimate BJJ school have any kind of "self defense" or "weapons" training beyond them.  (Unless you count MMA training.)

Google "Gracie University" and take a look at their "Gracie Combatives" program.  That's about the most "self-defense" that ever gets taught in typical BJJ schools. 

I think the general consensus is that if you're good at BJJ--and especially if you've added good MMA training on top of it--you're going to be a handful for anybody in a self-defense situation.  And the fact is that unless you really go out of your way to simulate stress when drilling, choreographed gun and multi-opponent techniques are a waste of time.  I knew plenty of "gun techniques" back in my TMA days . . . but I never actually disarmed somebody with a real gun who was really threatening to shoot me, so who knows whether any of them were worth a damn.  But now that I'm pretty good at beating the hell out of somebody standing or on the ground--and I know that because I practice that stuff live--I feel better equipped to defend myself. 

Thanks...this helps. Phone Post 3.0

BUFFGEO - 
hermanitor - 

It's the right answer ("Will you have a choice? Probably fucking not.")

for a retard moran, ignorant as fuck loser boy putz, which the poster is without exception.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2qPMFijyks

Now that's real bad ass but to say that 1 on 2 or 1 on three attacks are very rarely fought off by skilled martial artists is delusional. Frankly it's sometimes not even a big deal to boot (unlike the video). Sometimes multiple attackers depend on the fact that you'll just give up and not want to engage (like in a mugging I mean).

So yea being proficient on your feet is a great way to start in the MA's.

Krav Maga sounds exactly like SCARS. Phone Post 3.0

Everyone has a game plan Til they get punched in the throat..... Phone Post 3.0

Great convo Good Points!I've been teaching KRAV MAGA AND BJJ for 13 years!I'm also retired PD and Viet Vet.Bruce Lee set the KEEP IT REAL ATTITUDE and growing up in the hood fighting as a kid.As others have mentioned it depends on the teacher!We will roll with fake knives and role play technique for those scenerios.I'm an old skool street fighter lol but I get paid now.

trobinson21 -
burner22 -
onepunchcombo -
Polar_beatdown - My friend used to do krav maga. One time we were at his apartment and he was showing his "skills" to a chick, like a bang bro. He was doing that usual "Put your hands on my throat and I will show you how to escape" bullshit. After the the demonstration my friend turned his back and the girl fucking jumped on his back and took him on nice and tight rear naked choke and started screaming "WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU GONNA DO NOW!!!!". He didnt want to tap to girl so hi collapsed on the floor after few seconds. When he woke up, it was the basic "What happened bro?" moment. I was laughing my ass off and told him that "You just got choked out by a little girl, fuck your krav maga". He stopped doing krav in a few months. :) Phone Post
If the RNC is sunk, you're pretty much toast. They only real defense is to tuck your chin before it gets sunk. You can try to go for eyes, groin etc...was the guy willing to do that to some chick? Phone Post 3.0

And here is where u reveal your ignorance. Someone has you in a RNC you have no chance of eye gouging them, and attack the groin? Please. Your going to sleep homie.
Your only slim hope is to turn your head, put 2 hands on their top hand and peel it off. See fitch/ silva.
That is the difference between learning techniques that work and " oh if it was a real fight I'd just eye gouge them". Twit Phone Post

I think krav is shit too, but I want to know how an RNC defends the eye poke? Phone Post

'You poke me in the eye, I break your neck.'

Bas Rutten. Phone Post

Pretty funny Bas quote. He's actually been an advocate for Krav in the past. He even wrote the forward for The Complete Krav Maga book. Phone Post 3.0

later