They should have retired fighters coaching TUF

Guys like Bisping, Chael, DC. Do Khabib vs Tony next. Why waste the time of active fighters who most of the time dont have an interesting personality?

4 Likes

Yes, Tony Ferguson is my favorite retired fighter as well.

5 Likes

Because once upon a time it was a promotional tool for big fights.

Now nobody has watched this show for a decade and it just wastes everyone’s time but the UFC is incapable of changing it up.

5 Likes

They should have head coaches at the most popular gyms hand select a team and go head to head on TUF.

1 Like

That might be better for the “hardcore”, seeing under the hood of head coaches in top gyms, but I think “casuals” prefer to get to know the big fighters and their personalities (for good or for bad). Lots of MMA memes have come from TUF.

1 Like

I dont give a fuck about casuals, you casual! What is this, 2004?

1 Like

You might not, but ESPN probably does. Casuals have the greater numbers and put up the greater dollars. They will drive this ship.

We had these conversations in 2004. When you were still in diapers probably. Time to grow up. MMA is already mainstream.

2 Likes

Joined Jan 18, '06

Are you trying to steal some valor?

Yes sure, its 2022 and you’re still worried about appealing to casuals. Appealing to casuals is why we have 4 WMMA fights on the main card.

I think that would be way more entertaining. The whole idea is to build up the coaches so they score a higher ppv- I am not sure they need to do that anymore. Ufc is now mainstream enough that I am not sure how coaching TUF really ups their market value.
I would like to see the coach in a similar weight division as their fighters as well. None of this small girls coaching heavyweights or the other way around.

5 Likes

I dont think its the UFC testing out, seeing what appeals to casuals. I think its UFC giving the casuals what they want. Seems like a done deal.

Its build up the fighter coaches but also build up the rivalry and upcoming fight to make it a bigger event.

Besides this last season,when was the last time the head coaches fought each other?

Volkanovski/Ortega the season before?

3 Likes

Oh yeah that fight would have bombed without TUF…

:roll_eyes:

I dont know, did it have better numbers because of TUF? UFC/ESPN are paying for TUF so, it must make sense in their books.

As long as no more TUF Brazil, I’m good with that.

They did that for the season Usman won. I liked it, but I dont think it would do anything to improve ratings.

Nunes/Pena
Volkanovski/Ortega
Whittaker/Gastelum
Miocic/Cormier
Gaethje/Alvarez
Dillashaw/Garbrandt
Cejudo/Benavidez
Joanna/Gadelha
McGregor/Faber
ATT/Blackzillians

So I guess they did try top camp vs top camp. Then used McGregor. And all the rest were leading up to fights.