Thiago Alves having trouble cutting weight

ruh roh

http://twitter.com/MMAWeeklycom/status/20330578473

"Thiago Alves will not be at today's open workouts. He's reportedly having trouble cutting weight."

He has trouble with the weight cut all the time. However, against Hughes he notified the UFC before hand about it because of his ankle injury. He will make weight but the more concerning part is how it will affect his cardio.

Also, he normally cuts from like 190. There is a video before the GSP fight where Benkei says that Thiago was weighing in 183lbs a couple days before the fight and that was the lightest he had been before a weight cut.

I truly hope this is not true, and he's learned from past issues. Conditioning problems are never good, but against Jon Fitch, it's putting a nail in your own coffin.

MNFAN - I truly hope this is not true, and he's learned from past issues. Conditioning problems are never good, but against Jon Fitch, it's putting a nail in your own coffin.
Agreed.

Jesus, it sometimes looks like they need to have a preliminary weigh in a week or two before the fight to babysit these guys (and girls).

so am I.

He posted a photo on facebook saying 15 lbs to go, three hours ago.

that sucks thats the best fight on the card IMO

My proposed change to the weightclass would hel Thiag (and a lot of other fighters) A LOT:

Heavyweight = Over 210lbs.

Light Heavyweight = Over 190lbs. to 210lbs. (95.5k)

Cruiserweights = Over 176lbs. to 190lbs. (86.4k)

Middleweights = Over 165lbs. to 176lbs. (80k)

Welterweights = Over 154lbs. to 165lbs. (75k)

Lightweights = Over 143lbs. to 154lbs. (70k)

Featherweights = Over 135lbs. to 143lbs. (65k)

Bantamweights = Over 128lbs. to 135lbs. (61.4k)

Jr. Bantamweight = Over 121lbs. to 128lbs. (58k)

Flyweight = Over 114lbs. to 121lbs. (55k)

Junior Flyweight = Over 108lbs. to 114lbs. (52k)

Minimumweight = Over 101lbs. to 108lbs. (49k)

@MMASupremacy that's not true, thiago alves just has a certain schedule he follows when he's cutting. He doesn't do things in between. Lightest he's ever been @ this point from the fight... @attpitbull

There you go, seems like the usual internet-mongering

Thiago Alves is probably too big for welterweight.

It sucks that he's kind of stuck in that Rich Franklin area where he's a little too big for the lower weight class and he obviously loses his big size advantage fighting around his natural weight.

Hasn't Rogan or Goldie made the comment that Thiago has looked as big as 190 while in the Octagon?

dude's bigger in normal training camp than anyone else I've ever seen fight 170.

guys, its like 50 hours until weight ins...I think he has time to make it happen.

Peckerwood - guys, its like 50 hours until weight ins...I think he has time to make it happen.

You're probably right but going through these difficult weight cuts have to hurt his chances when he's fighting guys at the top of his division.

hope this means his cardio will take a hit. Fitch FTW

Haulport -  My proposed change to the weightclass would hel Thiag (and a lot of other fighters) A LOT:

<title></title><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { so-language: zxx } --> </style><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3">Heavyweight = Over <b>210lbs.</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3">Light Heavyweight = Over 190lbs. to <b>210lbs. (95.5k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3">Cruiserweights = Over 176lbs. to <b>190lbs. (86.4k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3">Middleweights = Over 165lbs. to <b>176lbs. (80k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3">Welterweights = Over 154lbs. to <b>165lbs. (75k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3">Lightweights = Over 143lbs. to <b>154lbs. (70k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3">Featherweights = Over 135lbs. to <b>143lbs. (65k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3">Bantamweights = Over 128lbs. to <b>135lbs. (61.4k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3"><span style="font-weight: normal;">Jr. Bantamweight = Over 121lbs. to </span><b>128lbs. (58k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3"><span style="font-weight: normal;">Flyweight = Over 114lbs. to </span><b>121lbs. (55k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3"><span style="font-weight: normal;">Junior Flyweight = Over 108lbs. to </span><b>114lbs. (52k)</b></font></font></p><p style="margin-left: 0.06in; margin-right: 0in; margin-bottom: 0in;"><font face="Oklahoma, sans-serif"><font size="3"><span style="font-weight: normal;">Minimumweight = Over 101lbs. to </span><b>108lbs. (49k)</b></font></font></p>

I do agree that there needs to be more weight classes and your proposal is a good start. However, it doesn't matter what the weight classes are. You will always find a guy trying to cut a ton of weight to have the size advantage in the cage\ring.

The thing is sometimes this turns into a disadvantage.

"You're probably right but going through these difficult weight cuts have to hurt his chances when he's fighting guys at the top of his division."

I guess I disagree, other than the GSP fight Alves has pretty much destroyed everyone he has fought. Keep in mind he is still very, very young and his body can probably bounce back from a huge weight cut easier than a guy in his 30's.

I'm not saying cutting weight is good or doesn't hurt conditoning, but it seems to not effect Thiago much. If he is still fighting 4-5 yrs from now I doubt he fights at 170.

Peckerwood - "You're probably right but going through these difficult weight cuts have to hurt his chances when he's fighting guys at the top of his division."

I guess I disagree, other than the GSP fight Alves has pretty much destroyed everyone he has fought. Keep in mind he is still very, very young and his body can probably bounce back from a huge weight cut easier than a guy in his 30's.

I'm not saying cutting weight is good or doesn't hurt conditoning, but it seems to not effect Thiago much. If he is still fighting 4-5 yrs from now I doubt he fights at 170.

Voted up for a sensible response.

You're right that he's still young and has buzz sawed through his opponents, with the exception of GSP. But didn't Thiago have trouble making the cut for UFC 100 too?

Now he's, reportedly, having difficulty with another cut. I just think it's possibly too drastic and starting to effect him even at his young age.

With such a long layoff and now, if he is really struggling with a weight cut, I really don't like his chances against Fitch.

for mrmetoo:

Can't wait for this fight!!!