Things one should know before joining a gym?

I will be looking to join a gym in the next month or two, and am wanting to see if there is any advice you all may have for a noob like myself...like how to conduct myself, good habits, appropriate attire etc.

I will discuss this with the trainers when I visit the gym, but I thought I'd take advantage of the knowledge here.

Hey bud what are you looking to train...everything? Striking? Ground? Phone Post 3.0

Both boxing and catch/submission wrestling.

VU for screenname. Phone Post 3.0

Their approach to sparring Phone Post 3.0

BusterBluth - I will be looking to join a gym in the next month or two, and am wanting to see if there is any advice you all may have for a noob like myself...like how to conduct myself, good habits, appropriate attire etc.

I will discuss this with the trainers when I visit the gym, but I thought I'd take advantage of the knowledge here.
Observe, thank others for working with you. Really just be respectful. Wear a rash guard not a tee shirt. Get a mouth guard.
Show up, work hard and you'll be fine. Phone Post 3.0

Dupes - 
BusterBluth - I will be looking to join a gym in the next month or two, and am wanting to see if there is any advice you all may have for a noob like myself...like how to conduct myself, good habits, appropriate attire etc.

Observe, thank others for working with you. Really just be respectful. Wear a rash guard not a tee shirt. Get a mouth guard.
Show up, work hard and you'll be fine. Phone Post 3.0

Thanks...

What about some sort of lycra material to cover the legs?

I have pretty hairy legs and would like to spare others.

Know who your instructors are and their backgrounds. If you have options in your area, find the gym with the best coaches. If anything, remember that.
Look for signs of a bad gym. Do they have a Zumba class blasting that Pitbull music when your instructor is trying to give instruction?
Behavior at a gym is common sense, and you'll realize where everyone puts their bags and waters, how they feel about coming late, etc. within the first week.
You'll get a pass on any newbie mistakes like wearing blue gi pants and white gi top, or changing shirts in the open gym in the first few weeks, but remember, you're paying good money (I assume) for a service, so be humble, but get what you have coming. Don't be too shy to ask a question, or ask the instructor to repeat a move again if you didn't catch it.
Don't get scared grappling with chicks. Go as hard as they do, and put your hands where you would put them on a man. Unless it's her tits or crotch. Avoid putting your hands there, but if it happens, embrace the moment, but move the hand quick. Phone Post 3.0

Check the staph history of the place, make sure you're not walking into a MRSA farm.

Thanks so much for the tips!

I'm looking into Matt Hume's gyms, so the coaches are good.

Wear your shoes to the bathroom or when you get off the mat.

Also....challenge the coach to a fight so you can make sure he's good Phone Post 3.0

Throwin'Knuckles - Cup rash guard and soak your mouthpiece in mouthwash at night. Make sure you show up clean.

What does soaking your mouthpiece in mouthwash do? Just keep it from tasting bad?

camozzi - Wear your shoes to the bathroom or when you get off the mat.

Also....challenge the coach to a fight so you can make sure he's good Phone Post 3.0

Challenge Matt Hume to a fight? Ich don't think so.

Throwin'Knuckles - 
BusterBluth - 
Throwin'Knuckles - Cup rash guard and soak your mouthpiece in mouthwash at night. Make sure you show up clean.

What does soaking your mouthpiece in mouthwash do? Just keep it from tasting bad?

Kills germs on it but it's like a fresh breath mint while training. Quite refreshing compared to stank bref

Excellent, thats why I made this thread.

Also, what about those soaps that are branded for grappling, are they worth it?

BusterBluth -
Throwin'Knuckles - 
BusterBluth - 

Kills germs on it but it's like a fresh breath mint while training. Quite refreshing compared to stank bref

Excellent, thats why I made this thread.

Also, what about those soaps that are branded for grappling, are they worth it?
Defense soap is worth it. Shameless plug but I sell it on my store if you need any. Performancemma.com

I've used it far before selling it though Phone Post 3.0

camozzi - Wear your shoes to the bathroom or when you get off the mat.

Both are excellent points. Phone Post 3.0

Cammozzi! I just rewatched your season of TUF.

+1 for defense soap Phone Post 3.0

Thanks for the soap recommendations.

------

How do you guys manage lifting with training?

BusterBluth - Thanks for the soap recommendations.

------

How do you guys manage lifting with training?

Don't do back/arms before training do it on an off day. Tendonitis is a son of a bich

Thanks...

Yeah, I've got it in my shoulder.