Things one should know before joining a gym?

Throwin'Knuckles -
BusterBluth - 
Throwin'Knuckles - 
BusterBluth - 
Throwin'Knuckles - Cup rash guard and soak your mouthpiece in mouthwash at night. Make sure you show up clean.

What does soaking your mouthpiece in mouthwash do? Just keep it from tasting bad?

Kills germs on it but it's like a fresh breath mint while training. Quite refreshing compared to stank bref

Excellent, thats why I made this thread.

Also, what about those soaps that are branded for grappling, are they worth it?

Dial or safeguard should be sufficient.
Do not use anti bacterial soaps like dial. You want to use moisturizing soaps like dove. Defense soap does it's job as well. Phone Post 3.0

Whats the problem with anti bacterial soaps like dial?

Be respectful, listen instead of talking.

In terms of the gym go with your gut. If the coach and atmosphere feels wrong it probably is.

Don't hit the bag like an idiot while ppl are teaching technique 3 ft away

Do work hard, make friends, and respect the art Phone Post 3.0

BusterBluth - Whats the problem with anti bacterial soaps like dial?
It kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. You want good skin flora maaan. Phone Post 3.0

Saltine American - 
BusterBluth - Whats the problem with anti bacterial soaps like dial?
It kills the good bacteria as well as the bad. You want good skin flora maaan. Phone Post 3.0

If you remove all your normal flora from your skin it makes it easier for other bacteria to colonise or for some of your normally harmless flora to overpopulate an area (like staph)

I see, thanks.

Is your gym owned or affiliated with a black belt who purchased his black belt for $10k, is currently facing a series of indictments from the IRS for tax fraud, escaped conviction in a gang rape by using an "I couldn't sexually perform defense", runs a school where two male students allegedly sexually assaulted a female student and the black belt ran a series of internet advertisements targeting SEO optimization for rape defense to try to keep actual rape searches related to his own past and school to a minimum, then paid for the alleged rapists defense from his own pocket so they could continue to perform in competitions, employed a sex offender as youth instructor, employed a sex offender as sambo instructor, and had his entire team move out in the middle of the night rather than continue to be affiliated with such a person? If so, you might not want to enroll.

ThatsHowIRoll - Be respectful, listen instead of talking.

In terms of the gym go with your gut. If the coach and atmosphere feels wrong it probably is.

That second part is pretty good advice.  You'll get a feel for the vibe of a gym and the people that train there in fairly short order and it won't always be one you click with.

Cut your finger nails and toe nails. Phone Post 3.0

Do most gyms include mandatory conditioning?

BusterBluth - Do most gyms include mandatory conditioning?

Head and Shoulders or strength and endurance? Phone Post 3.0

Kindly - 
BusterBluth - Do most gyms include mandatory conditioning?

Head and Shoulders or strength and endurance? Phone Post 3.0

lol, the latter.

random_muppett -
reagan123 - Cut your finger nails and toe nails. Phone Post 3.0
Ah. Phone Post 3.0
Honestly, I shower before rolling. A days work, subway commute, and such don't lend themselves to being completely clean.

That, and I brush my teeth and use mouthwash. Keep clean clothing, especially if training grappling Phone Post 3.0

DO you shower at the gym or wait till you get home?

Ask how often the mats are cleaned.

If the answer is anything but "everyday" or "after every class", you should probably find somewhere else to train.

What are open trainings like generally speaking?

BusterBluth - What are open trainings like generally speaking?
You show up and roll with whoever is there.. Phone Post 3.0

Rudi - 

So just practice without structure?

Same with stand up I presume.

BusterBluth -
Rudi - 

So just practice without structure?

Same with stand up I presume.
Yep Phone Post 3.0