Thoughts on Dominick Cruzs' Blue Belt?

personally i don't think he deserves it, he didn't show any guard pulling or buttscooting at all, i don't know what Lloyd irving was thinking.

maybe next fight if shows some real solid BJJ fundamentals and works on his guard pulling, buttscooting, and collar chokes he might deserve it.

Black belt level

He deserves at least a blue, I would think.

I guess he could have done a better job at wrestling in that fight? And by that I mean go for the takedown, stay in Faber's guard, and do nothing else in the fight of any consequence until he gets a JD.

Maybe next fight Lloyd will get some more TV time by giving him his purple. Phone Post

He needs to learn a bit more wrestling to really deserve a bjj blue belt.

After seeing how many wrestlers now need TRT maybe he has given up on wrestling.

Systembolaget - After seeing how many wrestlers now need TRT maybe he has given up on wrestling.

Surely you are not implying that a large percentage of caught roiders have a background in the wrestling discipline..? Surely not..?! Phone Post

No my thesis is that wrestling is so superior that it has to come with a price so that only the most dedicated people train it. Hence to even the field it leads to nutshrinkage on an epic scale.

I for one value my nuts and are therefore considering to stop wrestling completely and only train in a protective pyjamas in the future.

But your conclusion has some merit to it, perhaps Wrestlenow can shine some light on the matter.

marquardt is a wrestler?

royce gracie?

vitor belfort, thiago alves? Bigfoot silva, hermes franca?.... etc the list goes on.

its not just wrestlers bro.

I never said it was... I was purely fielding a supposition. You have brought up four examples of roiders from a BJJ background... Hmmmm... I think those with wrestling backgrounds may slightly outweigh that number! Phone Post

WRESTLENOW - marquardt is a wrestler?

royce gracie?

vitor belfort, thiago alves? Bigfoot silva, hermes franca?.... etc the list goes on.

its not just wrestlers bro.

Seems like a majority of Brazilian names....

Did Marquardt filed for TRT clearance from athletic commission? If so it wasn't like it was a secret.

kinda funny considering faber received his brown in his previous fight, more of a slap in the face to faber and marketing than anything. i can guarantee cruz rolls up many purple/brown/black belts, nogi of course. gi may be quite different, who knows how much he trains in the gi (hence the blue belt).

Eventhough I'm not a fan of his, I'm happy for him. It is by far the most prestigious belt he has and hopefully one day, he can make it to black belt and be a real badass fighter. But until then, he's gotta hard work on the collar chokes, spider guard and such other techniques. He looked real happy when Lloyd Irvin gave it to him. Congrats to Cruz on the blue belt!

" i don't know what Lloyd irving was thinking.”

Lloyd was thinking “this will get me on TV”. He’s an excellent marketer. 

"kinda funny considering faber received his brown in his previous fight,”

Faber trains BJJ with Fabio Prado. Fabio doesn’t fuck around, if he thinks he is a brown belt than Faber is a brown belt. And Faber trains Gi sometimes,too.(the horror….)

dustyaguas - kinda funny considering faber received his brown in his previous fight, more of a slap in the face to faber and marketing than anything. i can guarantee cruz rolls up many purple/brown/black belts, nogi of course. gi may be quite different, who knows how much he trains in the gi (hence the blue belt).

I guess your guarantee isnt worth shit because Ive rolled with Cruz a few times nogi and he didnt "roll me up". His walking around weight and mine are the same, Im a 37 year old puple belt and all I kept thinking was man I wish this slippery kid was wearing a gi so I could grab a hold of him. These sessions were during a nogi pro practice invite only that use to take place twice a week. No disrespect to Dom hes a decent wrestler but a blue belt is about right..

Gui Mendes is a BJJ world champion that pulls guard. He is also a Jr NTL champ wrestler (Brazil).

Best of both worlds?

WRESTLENOW - personally i don't think he deserves it, he didn't show any guard pulling or buttscooting at all, i don't know what Lloyd irving was thinking.

maybe next fight if shows some real solid BJJ fundamentals and works on his guard pulling, buttscooting, and collar chokes he might deserve it.

Guy has been training 6 or 7 years and you don't feel like he deserves a blue belt? lol

FenceGrab -
WRESTLENOW - personally i don't think he deserves it, he didn't show any guard pulling or buttscooting at all, i don't know what Lloyd irving was thinking.

Guy has been training 6 or 7 years and you don't feel like he deserves a blue belt? lol

That's what I was thinking. I'm sure he's learned enough in his fight career to be a blue. Phone Post

FenceGrab - 

i would like to see some proper buttscooting technique from Dominick first, who knows if he even has gotten his ass cheeks calloused yet?

Also i am skeptical about his knowledge of portugese and consumption of acai, also he needs to start doing his weight training workouts with his gi on.

WRESTLENOW -
FenceGrab - 

i would like to see some proper buttscooting technique from Dominick first, who knows if he even has gotten his ass cheeks calloused yet?

Also i am skeptical about his knowledge of portugese and consumption of acai, also he needs to start doing his weight training workouts with his gi on.

LOL, acai and Portuguese no one can defend!!! Phone Post