Tim Sylvia is the poster child for overachievement

fryingarmbar - 

Um, he is almost 7' tall. We're not talking about someone with absolutely no physical gifts. Phone Post

I've always liked Tim. Fans have been rough with this guy and there aren't too many fighters that have dealt with as many ups and downs as him. BTW; Salty Balls is a salty faggot. Phone Post

MasterofMartialArts -
BBQ@bendos - 
NEWSFLASH -
Saltyballs -  Tim's the poster child for what a champion looks like when the talent pool is ankle deep.

Is it really overachieving when his greatest wins were Arlovski and Vera? Come on now. Phone Post

way to kick a man when he's down ...

Not sure if pun intended or not but I chuckled. Phone Post

LOL, thought the same thing.

Why you guys "not sure if serious"? He has the three periods after to insinuate he is insinuating something... Phone Post

Who has done more with less than Tim Sylvia?

The guy was tall...and uncoordinated, couldn't really gain muscle, always a little pudgy (except when on the winny), didn't move well.

Who else became a UFC champion while possessing fewer genetic gifts than Sylvia?

props to pat, sticking up for his guy.

I, for one, love Tim Sylvia. Phone Post

Pat's such a sweetie pie. Those were very kind words. Still, I don't see how Tim couldn't continue. I'm no pro but unless his face was already broken, I don't understand how those two kicks made any difference- they aren't what hurt him. Plus, the officials said he was fine to continue after checking him. I love me some Timmy but I just don't get it.

Cindy

And Crooklyn, where's the rest of the story? It didn't continue after the bump.

Cindy

cambeezee - 
MasterofMartialArts -
BBQ@bendos - 
NEWSFLASH -
Saltyballs -  Tim's the poster child for what a champion looks like when the talent pool is ankle deep.

Is it really overachieving when his greatest wins were Arlovski and Vera? Come on now. Phone Post

way to kick a man when he's down ...

Not sure if pun intended or not but I chuckled. Phone Post

LOL, thought the same thing.

Why you guys "not sure if serious"? He has the three periods after to insinuate he is insinuating something... Phone Post

That doesn't make logical sense.

MasterofMartialArts -
AssassinsNATION - 
Saltyballs - Tim's the poster child for what a champion looks like when the talent pool is ankle deep.

What a cunt response. Judging by your screen name I bet you chose your favorite food .... salty balls in your mouth Phone Post

LOL, always thought it was funny that posters with these kinds of s/n's ALWAYS seems to make disrespectful posts.
Which is funny, because they seem to permanently have their foot in their mouth no matter what.

Just a disrespectful comment regardless of your stance on the matter, there's a tactful way and and cunty way and so many choose the cunty way. The level of respect for fighters that do what many wish they could do or have the balls or drive to do is way below what it should be IMO. It's one thing to disagree but don't bash fighters unless your willing to step in there and walk in their shoes. Phone Post

CindyO -  Pat's such a sweetie pie. Those were very kind words. Still, I don't see how Tim couldn't continue. I'm no pro but unless his face was already broken, I don't understand how those two kicks made any difference- they aren't what hurt him. Plus, the officials said he was fine to continue after checking him. I love me some Timmy but I just don't get it.

Cindy

I dont see how you can say the kicks didnt hurt him. Have you seen this Gif?

Tims isnt hurt enough from the strikes to not have enough wits about him to crawl to the fence to get to his feet.  He stops crawling and faceplants after the 2 kicks and only after that.

Also nobody can say but Tim if he could go on or not.  You cant tell by facial damage how bad the kick messed up his brain.  He said he was seeing double ,would you want to fight the Pit Bull seeing double? 

ttt

dustin dustin - You guys arent considering timmy had 0 athelic ability, weak chin, terrible cardio and virtually has no martial art ability. Yet, was a dom champ.

In fact, he's the EXACT opposite of an underachiever.

MMA Journalists are talking from thy arsehole.

Hmmmmmm, you might want to read what you wrote along with what Militich said.....I'm specifically talking about this part of your post.

"In fact, he's the EXACT opposite of an underachiever"

Well...that could be the reason that the thread is titled "Tim Sylvia is the poster child for overachievement"

Sylvia will forever be a part of UFC history. He deserves a HOF spot.

I just wanted to give a heads up concerning fighter bashing.  I've deleted a couple of posts that were bad.  

I just wanted to be clear, you have the right to have a different opinion of a professional fighter, there's nothing wrong with that, as long as you write it properly.  If you feel that Tim Sylvia is a legend, that's fine, if you think he was over rated, that's fine, but when you start making personal, abusive posts about Tim Sylvia, that's fighter bashing.

I just don't want anybody to think that you have to be worried to post your opinion on Tim Sylvia.  You can, but, no abusive posts directed right at him.

That goes for any fighter.  Differing opinions are exactly what a messageboard is for, so feel free to debate your opinion, but think about what you're going to post before you do and ask yourself if it is a rational opinion or a direct attack towards a pro fighter.

If people were bashing Arlovski on this thread, I'd delete that as well. 

Carry on

Half of these tampons putting Tim down would be fighting over his thrown away spankerchief in a dumpster if he made a comeback and went on another tear in the UFC.

When Pat Miletich drops knowledge like that, you just listen

If you're any kind of fan at all that is. 

***FRAT WARNING***

I have no problem in saying that when he was the Champion, I couldn't stand him....I always rooted against him, he bored me and I simply couldn't stand to watch him.

But, looking back, I have no problem saying that he was a damn good champion and had a great few years at the top.

He never turned down a fight, he really will fight anybody....anywhere.  He has serious heart (I always think back to his arm snap).

Honestly, I don't know if it's sympathy, but he just reminds me of "THAT KID IN HS"  that never learned how to interact with others and even though he will do or say anything to get friends or respect, the other HS kids would still bash him. Stuff like wearing the belt everywhere....it pissed off a lot of people....I was one of them.  Looking back at everything, it's very possible that he was a tall, goofy looking kid growing up and got picked on, so instead of figuring out how to act around others as a child, he's going through that right now.

Think about it...I bet that he thought that wearing the belt will get people to give him some positive attention and I can make friends....but it does the opposite.  It sucks.  If a child was in that position, they would flaunt the belt around everywhere because in a child's mind, it makes sense.

Sorry for the frat, it's just weird how he was my least favorite fighter in the past, but as I got older, I started to be ok with him, and now, I like him.  

People don't realize how Good Big Tim was at one point in his career. There was a time that he was a top 3, maybe top 2 HW in the world. He smashes Ricco Rodriguez, who then goes over in Pride and has a very close fight with Big Nog (which many people say he won). 2003 Big Tim was no fucking joke.

People only remember the fat guy who shits his pants, and got KO'd by Mercer.

Really inspiring story from Miletech.

Never was a big fan but I respect his accomplishments which is why I was disappointed when he threw the ref under the bus