Tim Sylvia is the poster child for overachievement

MainelyBJJ - 
CindyO -  Pat's such a sweetie pie. Those were very kind words. Still, I don't see how Tim couldn't continue. I'm no pro but unless his face was already broken, I don't understand how those two kicks made any difference- they aren't what hurt him. Plus, the officials said he was fine to continue after checking him. I love me some Timmy but I just don't get it.

Cindy

I dont see how you can say the kicks didnt hurt him. Have you seen this Gif?

Tims isnt hurt enough from the strikes to not have enough wits about him to crawl to the fence to get to his feet.  He stops crawling and faceplants after the 2 kicks and only after that.

Also nobody can say but Tim if he could go on or not.  You cant tell by facial damage how bad the kick messed up his brain.  He said he was seeing double ,would you want to fight the Pit Bull seeing double? 

Actually, I ordered the PPV and they showed the kicks from like 5 different angles, this being the most non-dramatic because it doesn't show the contact, IMO. Do you have the footage? Or maybe someone can post the different angles here. I don't know how to. Not saying Timmy is lying. I have just bever seen this situation. Maybe you can think of similar examples so I can see those and maybe understand. Thanks.

Cindy

Vulva Fabulous - 
FRAT WARNING

I have no problem in saying that when he was the Champion, I couldn't stand him....I always rooted against him, he bored me and I simply couldn't stand to watch him.

But, looking back, I have no problem saying that he was a damn good champion and had a great few years at the top.

He never turned down a fight, he really will fight anybody....anywhere.  He has serious heart (I always think back to his arm snap).

Honestly, I don't know if it's sympathy, but he just reminds me of "THAT KID IN HS"  that never learned how to interact with others and even though he will do or say anything to get friends or respect, the other HS kids would still bash him. Stuff like wearing the belt everywhere....it pissed off a lot of people....I was one of them.  Looking back at everything, it's very possible that he was a tall, goofy looking kid growing up and got picked on, so instead of figuring out how to act around others as a child, he's going through that right now.

Think about it...I bet that he thought that wearing the belt will get people to give him some positive attention and I can make friends....but it does the opposite.  It sucks.  If a child was in that position, they would flaunt the belt around everywhere because in a child's mind, it makes sense.

Sorry for the frat, it's just weird how he was my least favorite fighter in the past, but as I got older, I started to be ok with him, and now, I like him.  

That makes sense- you could be right. Good post.

Cindy

CindyO - 
MainelyBJJ - 
CindyO -  Pat's such a sweetie pie. Those were very kind words. Still, I don't see how Tim couldn't continue. I'm no pro but unless his face was already broken, I don't understand how those two kicks made any difference- they aren't what hurt him. Plus, the officials said he was fine to continue after checking him. I love me some Timmy but I just don't get it.

Cindy

I dont see how you can say the kicks didnt hurt him. Have you seen this Gif?

Tims isnt hurt enough from the strikes to not have enough wits about him to crawl to the fence to get to his feet.  He stops crawling and faceplants after the 2 kicks and only after that.

Also nobody can say but Tim if he could go on or not.  You cant tell by facial damage how bad the kick messed up his brain.  He said he was seeing double ,would you want to fight the Pit Bull seeing double? 

Actually, I ordered the PPV and they showed the kicks from like 5 different angles, this being the most non-dramatic because it doesn't show the contact, IMO. Do you have the footage? Or maybe someone can post the different angles here. I don't know how to. Not saying Timmy is lying. I have just bever seen this situation. Maybe you can think of similar examples so I can see those and maybe understand. Thanks.

Cindy

After taking those shots if I was Tim's trainer i wouldn't allow him to continue regardless.

People questioning him not wanting to continue after getting destroyed like that are IMO a bit naive about the effects of taking big shots like that to say the least.

inf0 -  Sylvia will forever be a part of UFC history. He deserves a HOF spot.

Yup. He was the UFC champ at one point - meaning for short while (and in sport, very few are the very best for more than a few years) he was the best in one of the time's two major organizations. And nothing any detractor says can take that away.

As for not continuing after the kicks - in hockey player's who've been elbowed hard in the head now regularly take a period off for concussion checks, and often the remainder of a game. Its silly to pretend that you can recover in five minutes from kicks like that. If you're going to have that kind of illegal kick and then continue, you're going to have to give adequate recovery time ... and that's going to be an hour or more.

Talk to a neurosurgeon about head injuries, (or take a coaching seminar taught by one like kid's hockey coaches are now being given) - its not an instant recovery. If the kicks didn't do damage, he wouldn't have needed even five minutes. If they did do damage, five minutes wouldn't have been close to enough. The question then becomes, do you think Arlovski kicks hard enough to do damage?

I think the problem is in the rules, and it sucked for both Arlovski (who with different rules would have just continued into GnP for the win, Sylvia was done), and Sylvia (who took the kind of head shots that can lead to long term neurological problems).

If you're going to allow soccer kicks, allow them. Otherwise ban them. But that kind of wait for referee rule is nonsense.

dustin dustin - Tim sylvia?? Who the fuck is that?

I seriously hope your joking. Phone Post

I would love to 4 punch combo & then soccer kick any of you assholes in the face 2x and see if you continue....duh....and I'm not even a Timmmmmmmmy fan. I got a rib broke from a knee once in class and couldn't continue....shit happens!

Just to clear some things up I was pissed when the fight was stopped I pushed the ref and said I was fine. My corner said it was not stopped aa got a yellow card for not waiting for the ref to ok the position. My corner told me not to continue. They saw something in me that did not look good. It was either the punched or the kicks never the less I was still rocked. Hat goes off to aa he did nothing wrong I would have done the same thing in the heat of the moment. Felt I won the first and had him hurt 1 or 2. Broke my hand in the first and felt I was winning the 2 till I got clipped. Sorry it was a nc. But maybe we can do it 1 more time for the fans. Thanks for your support. I felt great on a 3 week training camp. And aa and I have put everything to rest. Phone Post

Timmmmmmmmmy. Stay strong and positive man. Bonus points for the post too. 

Tim Sylvia is cool as fuck. Heavyweight UFC champ. H8trs. Of course he doesnt have the gifts of a JDS or a Lesnar or Couture... but my god, look what he did with what he had. He beat some tough guys too, lost to some tough guys--because he stepped up and fought whoever.

nice guy too, a buddy of mine was wearing an "extreme couture" tshirt like less than a month after he lost the belt to randy. Tim made this funny joke about not wanting to get his pic taken with the guy--just teasing. took a bunch of pics/autographs, just a class act.

Got to give Sylvia credit for all he acomplished in the UFC and getting the belt. He entertained me with some great fights over the years.

Although he does not cut such an imposing figure physically like he used to I gotta admit I was impressed with his apparent cardio thru the first and into the second. He obviously has bene working hard again and went toe to toe with a tough Arlovski. Sill a work in progress on his comeback but looked much better than his previous recent outings.

.Looking forward to your next fight!

WAR MAINE-IAC

Mad respect to Tim Sylvia.

kanodogg3 - Militech a tad biased in this regard. Let's not act like Tim wasn't physically gifted, yeah he's no super athlete but he's huge, and was able to parlay that gift into a world title when ufc hws were mostly lhw sized.

He used steroids in his heyday as well, and his recent performances/physique shows that he is not an overachiever by far.

That said I mean no hate, mad props for him for being able to do what he did Phone Post

This Phone Post

First time I've ever heard of a nearly seven feat tall man with a long ass reach be called an overachiever because he beatdown some of those smaller folks he met in a cage and/or knock them out with his KO Power.

Timmay is an achiever, he achieved things. An overachiever is someone who achieves something he is not suposed to, like that guy in wrestling that won the NCAA with 1 f*cking leg. Now THAT is an overachiever for you.

luctaro - First time I've ever heard of a nearly seven feat tall man with a long ass reach be called an overachiever because he beatdown some of those smaller folks he met in a cage and/or knock them out with his KO Power.

Timmay is an achiever, he achieved things. An overachiever is someone who achieves something he is not suposed to, like that guy in wrestling that won the NCAA with 1 f*cking leg. Now THAT is an overachiever for you.

Still just disrespectful of Pat Miletich's comments on Tim. 

You need to read the fucking article. 

And see how wrong you are.

And realize that size isn't everything in a fight.

Fedor vs. Tim II anyone?

That's a fight someone should make

I agree with the article... Tim may have limited natural skills but he's always been a gamer.

Fuck Cindy O and the haters.

Militech doesn't think being 7 feet tall counts as being gifted from God i guess

Regardless of anything else, I'll remember the following exchange between Mir and Tim in the cage.

Frank: "We can do it again."

Tim (with broken arm): "We can do it right fucking now." Phone Post

yeah i like sylvia and he's not a bad fighter at all but to act like he wasn't blessed with natural gifts is just fucking retarded

yes, he's uncoordinated, alot of tall guys are. Shaq is not the most graceful guy in the world but you wouldn't say he wasn't blessed by God with physical gifts because he obviously was

Vulva you've always been a level headed mod but come on.

All I said was the HW talent pool was shallow (something even Dana has said), and that Tim's biggest wins were against Arlovski and Vera and I got frozen. Really? After all the vitriolic trashing of Sylvia and the blatant troll threads calling him a loser and a quitter and my post is the one that gets frozen?

Nevermind that I've been on this forum since day one, never directed any post at Tim personally, and simply stated an opinion. An opinion that 90% of the UG has said for years.

I did have to LOL at all the name calling though. That's why I love you guys. Phone Post