Tips for a white belt?

Best advice I don't see often is remember to breathe. A lot of guys breathe poorly when grappling, especially when on the bottom. If you can always breath correctly, your game will benefit greatly.

practice defense for the most right now

understand that what you do not know isnt a result of you having not seen the technique.   Really learning BJJ means time on the mat.  

Top Phone Post 3.0

Okay, so I was checking out the gi's at BJJsports.  the A sizes, how does that relate to waist sizes?  I am about 5'9 170ish 32-33" pants size.  

horsemeat grew my head - When you roll go completely apeshit. All the moves they are teaching you are good in theory, but any meathead with half a brain can understand that in a physical battle, the stronger more aggressive person wins. If any body tells you to calm down it's only because they feel inferior to your explosiveness. Phone Post 3.0

PURE GOLD...

im not a green name but iv been training bjj for nearly 9 years and mma for 7 years

like i tell all white belts . do not get discouraged. it takes mat time and drilling to get things down. another important thing is, do not be afraid to tap. Its not worth being out of training/work/school etc from an injury because you didnt want tap out.

put in the time and things will happen

Find a sweep/sub/pass that you like and drill it over and over and over and over and over again.

How do people wash their ass before training? Don't most people come from work?

Yogurt and ice cream.

That's all you'll be able to eat for the first couple months from getting choked so much. Phone Post 3.0

Focus on defense. Don't quit. Phone Post 3.0

ttt

Learn control & technique; don't try to out-muscle your opponents (especially your instructors).

Learn a good guard (you will need it). However, don't get into the habit of flopping to guard all the time.

Try to grapple mainly with people who have more experience. White belts vs. white belts = lots of injuries.

Grab a sleeve and hold guard. Never open it.
When possible, spaz out as much as possible on your sub attempts.
You will never learn unless you go 100 in every roll.
If someone tells you to slow down or "use technique" it just means they fear you. When you leant to staple a leg on a pass, know that is code to put your shin between their balls.
If you decide to slow down, flop around like a wet noodle.
When rolling with a female that you are bigger than, use all your man strength. Don't let a girl show you up.
Know that every good RNC is really just a chin lock.

All joking aside. Pay attention, don't worry about steps 3 thru 5 if you can't grasp 1 and 2. Watch the higher belts. Have respect for everyone in class. Don't stop every 30 secs in a roll to ask a question. Learn to breathe properly with motion. And #1... It's fun, have fun. When you get frustrated, know it's part of the process and remember that it is the highlight of your day on those mats.

Fucking frat. Sorry. Phone Post 3.0

ok so what I am getting out of this is spaz out a lot and never shower?  

Start talking in a Brazilian accent.

Start using "h" in place of "r" ie Hyan in place of Ryan, Hobert instead of Robert

Papa BUrgandy - Start talking in a Brazilian accent.

Start using "h" in place of "r" ie Hyan in place of Ryan, Hobert instead of Robert
Voted up. I had a coach do this. So fn fake. Whenever someone new started, they always went "wtf"

Actually took away from his credibility. Phone Post 3.0

Ministry of Truth - Best advice I don't see often is remember to breathe. A lot of guys breathe poorly when grappling, especially when on the bottom. If you can always breath correctly, your game will benefit greatly.
Nailed it. Phone Post 3.0

On a serious note, find 3-4, what your instructor would consider "high success percentage moves, that you like or feel comfortable and drill the shit out of them. Like I'm talking a hundred times each as often as you can. They have got to be ingrained in your muscle memory and instincts, not just your brain, and you want to have more than one solid move in all positions. Remember that every move can be countered so it will often take say, more than one guard pass attempt or more than one sweep attempt, whatever your going for, you want to have different options for different pressure, different reactions, from different positions. Good luck! Phone Post 3.0

Chadderz - Serious tip, start a training diary. Write down what you learn, and references to it for later (like YouTube videos) and read up on it regularly after a few months. Phone Post 3.0
Seriously good tip. Every couple years I discover an old notebook and I smile. Phone Post 3.0

"Just tap owwwut!!"- black sensei from Never Back Down Phone Post 3.0