Top 10 GOATs ranked according to Tapology

LOL

2 Likes

He was past his prime at 26 when Forrest fucking Griffin choked him out?

Yeah after double knee surgery…

1 Like

Despite that came back and beat everyone in the UFC and won the title there.

Yeah, funny how a couple of knee and elbow surgeries can take you out of your prime.

2 Likes

He had injuries. So are we supposed to give lenience to someone due to their potential or judge them on their actual output? It’s a GOAT list, and time is long, not 05 to the beginning of 07.

Jose Aldo has had a shitload of injuries and has stayed far more competitive.

You’re supposed to accept the truth I’m giving you in a dignified manner and drop the matter.

1 Like

Move the goal posts all you want.

It would be worth a discussion, should injuries be taken into account when summing up a fighters legacy on paper?

First, I apologize for my previous haughty tone.

Second, I think in many cases, yes. All manner of intangibles have to be considered when discussing something like GOAT. For example, simply looking on paper, Khabib had an amazing career while someone like BJ did not. But when you dissect it, you’ll find that Khabib beat a lot of guys no one’s ever heard of or seen, and BJ generally faced better overall competition with deeper skillsets (and often beat them).

In the case of Shogun, you’re right, he had an amazing two or so years in Pride upon which his legacy mostly rests. But even if we ignore that for a moment, his post-prime tenure in the UFC is still worthy of at least some consideration. Not only did he manage to capture the UFC LHW title, his roster of opponents was pretty much a who’s who at that time. He faced current killers like Machida, Hendo, Jon Jones, Gustafsson, as well as fading stars like Coleman, Liddell, Vera, Lil Nog.

So I would say because his golden, albeit brief, era in Pride far eclipses essentially any two year period in virtually any other MMA fighter’s career, and because he had multiple serious injuries and surgeries and still managed to win the UFC LHW title while facing top tier opponents, he is worthy of GOAT status.

2 Likes

Shogun’s Prime and his body broke down much younger than most. His skills were so good that he was still able to capture a UFC LHW Title after all the surgeries.

Karo Parisyan was similar although he didn’t achieve the heights Shogun did in MMA. But man I loved watching him fight and he was at a very high level then injuries happened early in his 20’s and (also around 26 I think) he was never the same and never fought at that high level again.

2 Likes

GSP cannot be number 1

GSP was never ranked the number 1 P4P fighter in the world :face_with_spiral_eyes:

ufc 208 GIF

anderson silva ufc GIF by ESPN

There were no rankings in GSP’s prime. Rankings were introduced the same year he retired. Dana would go around saying Anderson was P4P #1 (in attempt to promote a weak selling champion) and his lapdogs in the media would follow his lead, but nearly all fans saw GSP as the real best in the world.

I dont care what order but top 5 has to be:

Jon Jones
Anderson
GSP
Mighty Mouse
Fedor

Khabib is arguable top 10 but thats it. Maybe

2 Likes

Joe rogan always said Anderson was 1 as well and he’s unbiased

Usman has an L on his record, has been dropped, and is fighting journeymen multiple times over as his title defences.

Jack believes being undefeated is the end all be all of any combat athlete’s career. Floyd and Rocky Marciano are the greatest boxers ever.

Khabib…never beat a champion, never gave a rematch, never went up in weight, only beat one “at any time champion” (in RDA on his way up) and missed weight multiple times.

2 Likes

Undefeated records mostly indicate that you avoided challenges.

No way Khabib winning his second fight, and Usman losing his second fight weighs more heavily than TWO additional title defenses.

The name of the game is championships and title defenses. Not bullshit undefeated records.

If Rashad Evans quit the sport after beating forrest does that put him on the goat list?

The key to all time greatness is not winning a title and defending, but instead joining some fly by night league and crushing cans for an undefeated record?

What a fucking moron.

2 Likes