Top prospect that you never bought the hype for?

Brandon Vera. I remember that fight where he called out Chuck in the crowd saying he was going to take both belts. I felt the same thing Chuck’s expression said… who the fuck is this clown?

2 Likes
ThatsHowIRoll -

O Malley. I called chito owning him. Also askren. I called that shit since he poked that guy in the eye back in Strikeforce. He was way overblown and I told Cre every step of the way

Askren never fought in strikeforce but imo he was far from being all hype. The guy just had a hip replacement ffs he was over the hill by the time he came or to broken to still be a top guy. Hip injury is the end for a grappler unless that gets fixed 

1 Like

Erick Silva

1 Like

Maybe my memory isn't great on this, but I seem to recall Paige VanZant coming into UFC with a ton of hype, including how it was a big deal that she was going to be training with TAM. When she entered UFC she was 3-1, and her 3 wins came against chicks who each had a 0-0 record. I never understood what was supposed to be so remarkable about her. (She didn't even have tits back then.)

ThatsHowIRoll -

O Malley. I called chito owning him. Also askren. I called that shit since he poked that guy in the eye back in Strikeforce. He was way overblown and I told Cre every step of the way

This. Never bought it, and I bet he loses his next fight, whomever that may be. Kid is delusional!

Till. Maybe I was right

da Vinci 81 -

Anthony Pettis. All the hype around him dominating LW for years but I always thought there were too many wreslters/grapplers in the division that were bad matchups for him.

This thread is about top prospects, not champions of the most stacked division in two different organizations. 

Yair

O Malley

MVP

Brandon Vera. I kind of believed for a minute but quickly jumped off of that hype train before he even started losing. 

Johnny Walker

Volkan

In general, it takes me a lot longer to get on board with prospects who don’t have a strong grappling background. Accordingly, I was late to the game on Conor and Izzy, while I got on the DC and Pico hype trains early.

At least people are being honest but there are a few odd answers here. I’m not sure it fits ‘never bought the hype’ when the answer is ‘once I saw him get beaten down by X I knew…’

So you did buy the hype at one point?

Sage Northcutt. 

I always found Ronda's success surprising and expected her to get exposed striking. I even posted a thread about it where I got attacked during her run. 

Jason Thacker 

Walker

Sage

are easily the 2 top....

Khabib

Once Justin smeshes him, people will go look at his record and realize he hasn't beat anyone...bloated Featherweights Conor and Dustin? Decisoned Iaquinta who had short notice...believe it was a post USADA RDA...

His GOAT talk is laughable IMO, guy was a ducker and pull out artist his whole way up the ladder.

1 Like
Frank Mir Cat - 

Khabib

Once Justin smeshes him, people will go look at his record and realize he hasn't beat anyone...bloated Featherweights Conor and Dustin? Decisoned Iaquinta who had short notice...believe it was a post USADA RDA...

His GOAT talk is laughable IMO, guy was a ducker and pull out artist his whole way up the ladder.

What a bizarre post.

Khabib has beat every type of fighter and his hit list is phenominal. Discount everything else and you are still left with a PRE USADA RDA right before his run started and a prime Dustin Porrier.

1 Like
wiggum -
Frank Mir Cat - 

Khabib

What a bizarre post.

Khabib has beat every type of fighter and his hit list is phenominal. Discount everything else and you are still left with a PRE USADA RDA right before his run started and a prime Dustin Porrier.

He’s wrasslin’ Featherweights…

Sage like Huerta had too much of the look to not be pushed beyond his abilities. I suspect the same thing is going on in boxing right now with Ryan Garcia

David Terrell. 

I'm not sold on Adesanya and Reyes.

Non N00B -

Yair

O Malley

MVP

Brandon Vera. I kind of believed for a minute but quickly jumped off of that hype train before he even started losing. 

Johnny Walker

Volkan

Brandon Vera.  There’s a great one.  To this day, when I see him fight, I’m still watching from the perspective of “so are we going to see it–the killer who is going to take both belts?”  Totally unfair of me, but it’s amazing how marketing can have such a long term effect. 

Along the same lines: Baby Fedor, Kirill Sedilnikov (can't believe I spelled that name right on the first try).