Trivia time (pic)

Dont think it was ADCC. Terrel had a great run, lost to Saulo the eventual champion, and beat almeida in the 3-4 match. Terrel was in 2000 I believe.

Lister lost to almeida in 2001.

yessir

I had to look it up.It happened at the Gracie Open.I always wondered how Terrell lost in submission grappling because he never had a single point scored against him.He lost in Abu Dhabi by referee decision in 2003.

More Underground trivia.

This drawing on the left was drawn by forum member Dallas Winston.

Who knows who it is on the left? It made the rounds here for a few years.

*I found the original,but the picture was missing.

That was supposed to be Gomi. If I remember right that dude posted it in a thread by Evan Shoman (I think that’s his name) who actually does incredible art, in a “look at me I can draw too” post. Then someone shopped the Gomi head onto a real photo, I think during the Diaz fight, and it was one of the funniest shops I ever saw.

2 Likes

Boom Shaka Laka

Takanori Gomi.

1 Like

Alright,I have another one lined up.I just learned today.

What really old school fighter went from blue belt to black belt?

Conan for one

1 Like

Paulson? That seems to ring a bell.

I wasn’t aware of Conan,so thank you for the education.

Think Nova Uniao.

Tried looking up info on him & didn’t find that information.

Definately could be one.

paulson was a blue belt for a long time, rumour was rickson was pissed at him and told rigan not to promote him. Conan had moved to miami as a blue belt and 7 years later carlson promoted him to black.

who went from white belt straight to black?

2 Likes

JOHN LEWIS

1 Like

Boom.

John Lewis arrived in jiu jitsu already as a black belt in judo under the legendary Gene LeBell. Rickson Gracie was his first coach, awarding Lewis his blue belt. Lewis left the Gracie and spent some time with the Machado brothers before settling at André Pederneiras’ Nova Uniao. Lewis is also one of the very rare cases of athletes who went from blue to black belt in one single promotion. He was also the founder of the world-famous J-Sect and helped promote jiu-jitsu for many years, both as a cage fighter and as a coach to legends such as Chuck Liddell, Randy Couture, Egan Inoue, Enson Inoue, Ricco Rodriguez, BJ Penn, Marc Laimon, Gazzy Parman Robert Drysdale and many others.

josh barnett probably skipped a few colors on his way to black

1 Like

Mark Schultz?

Like I say,I just found out today,so I don’t know of any others.

1 Like

Found why I thought Paulson.

He tells all about rickson kicking him out and all of that.

3 Likes

he skipped every belt but black, he entered no-gi at some tournament and the whole division withdrew, he still wanted to compete so chris haueter belted him on the spot and a sponsor donated a gi

1 Like

Who was the first person to beat a Gracie in MMA?

Don’t Google it!