Tuf Brazil finalist Leo Santos submitted GSP

at ADCC in 2005. He is in the co-main event tonight.

CanadianGSPFan - I'd love to see how Santos would do against him in a Greco-Roman match.

Lol no need to get defensive. Just thought it was kind of cool he's in the UFC 8 years later. Phone Post

GSP was also a purple back then :)

Dire - GSP was also a purple back then :)

Interesting. GSP hasn't been a black belt as long as I thought then Phone Post

but but gsp so great he's a master in every martial art.

Jake Shields beat Santos twice. Sure I heard BJ Penn say on a podcast how good Santos was and showed good skills by Shields. Phone Post 3.0

GSP had trained with Leo's brother Waggney Fabiano for some time and probably trained with Leo numerous times as well.

Leo is a beast on the mats and on paper is better than Sheilds but he just has Leo's number. If I remember correctly Sheilds had injured his arm in his match before Santos but still managed to beat him pretty handily.

Ya it was in Adcc, I believe Jake shields had broken or hurt arm from Previous fight and he got the rnc on Leo, Years latter Leo puts on a great fight !! Props to both! Phone Post 3.0

CanadianGSPFan - I'd love to see how Santos would do against him in a Greco-Roman match.

you know you cant touch the legs in greco right? greco doesnt have a huge translation to mma

CanadianGSPFan - I'd love to see how Santos would do against him in a Greco-Roman match.

GSP would win in Greco or freestyle wrestling match I am sure, what's GSP secret ? Maybe the silver medalist he trains under?. He is great all around :) Phone Post 3.0

CanadianGSPFan - I'd love to see how Santos would do against him in a Greco-Roman match.

LOL

What has GSP ever done that would make you think he would be good under Greco rules? I don't think I've ever seen GSP hit a legal Greco throw, and he rarely controls people up against the fence with an over/under grip. He mostly hits double legs in transition, and will occasionally Harai Goshi from the clinch, both of which are illegal in Greco.

vintirex - 

you know you cant touch the legs in greco right? greco doesnt have a huge translation to mma

Wat?

Greco has a MASSIVE translation to MMA. Greco clinch work is incredibly important for MMA. Sure, it's not great for finishing takedowns, but it is incredibly important for controlling your opponent and setting up takedowns.

He got subbed big deal, Vinny subbed Weidman in a grappling match, but we all know what would happen if they ever met in a cage

ScottLaRock - Ya it was in Adcc, I believe Jake shields had broken or hurt arm from Previous fight and he got the rnc on Leo, Years latter Leo puts on a great fight !! Props to both! Phone Post 3.0
And in a grapplers quest match I believe. Phone Post 3.0

ScottLaRock - 

GSP would win in Greco or freestyle wrestling match I am sure, what's GSP secret ? Maybe the silver medalist he trains under?. He is great all around :) Phone Post 3.0

GSP is awesome, but I wouldn't say his submission grappling is 'great'. His positional grappling is fantastic, but when it comes to the submission part, well, there is a reason guys always escape his submission attempts even though GSP has dominant position. Dan Hardy is no master grappler, but GSP left him room to escape and Dan used it. Put Hardy in that same position against a truly great submission grappler, and that room won't be there.

GSP 2005 and GSP 2013 aren't even in the same universe Phone Post 3.0

Brigham - GSP 2005 and GSP 2013 aren't even in the same universe Phone Post 3.0

Agreed.

GSP 2005 was far more athletic and dynamic than the 2013 version. Age, injuries, and success have taken their toll.

For those of you mentioning Shields, I'm pretty sure there's a YouTube video of Shields mauling him at the same tournament. I'll try to find it later if nobody else does Phone Post

Kentpaul - He got subbed big deal, Vinny subbed Weidman in a grappling match, but we all know what would happen if they ever met in a cage

I'm not really understanding these comments? Nobody is saying Santos would beat GSP in MMA, I just thought it was kind of cool. I'd actually love to see GSP try ADCC again and see how he would do now. Phone Post