Twilight Zone MMA moments

From your years of watching MMA, what still blows your facking mind every time you think about it?

For me it was the Cody Garbrandt schooling of Dom. I couldn’t believe my eyes. Not just because he made Cruz miss so much but because he was showboating most of the time and it went on round after round. Never expected that in a million years.

Then Cody goes on to get KO’d and TKO’d by Dillashaw and TKO’d by Pedro Munhoz. 

Bizarre.

1 Like

Randleman suplexing Fedor and then Fedor reversing him and submitting him is probably my all time MMA oh shit/twilight moment out of so many moments. 

Not sure if this meets the definition of Twilight moment, but it is symbolic of many things for me, as I sat there with two other friends so many years ago.   

1 Like

Your Garbrandt one is a good one, because Cody has such terrible fight IQ.  He was like the goddamned pinball wizard against Cruz.

That was very strange indeed.

1 Like

Paulo Filhio talking to "someone"- as in no one- when he was WEC 185 champ during a fight. 

It seems to me that he was hallucinating or he's legit schizophrenic 

2 Likes
Paul Maul -

Paulo Filhio talking to "someone"- as in no one- when he was WEC 185 champ during a fight. 

Filho is a forgotten about and interesting character in MMA history.   He was very highly touted early on and many people thought he had big things in store,  but got involved with drugs and other poor decisions that derailed his career. 

1 Like
Paul Maul -

Definitely. That one was a strange one. 

That dude's head not detaching from his body after Dan Miller got him in that guillotine in the IFL.

It looked like he was holding onto to a submission on a corpse at that point.

Vitor koing Rockhold with a spinning kick.  I had Brian Ebersole on my couch watching it with me and his chin hit the floor and just said did that just happen???

1 Like
RobGMAA - 

Vitor koing Rockhold with a spinning kick.  I had Brian Ebersole on my couch watching it with me and his chin hit the floor and just said did that just happen???

Did his hairrow switch to the down position like an elevator indicator as his chin hit the floor?

1 Like

Upright stance BJ was a mindfuck for his fans.

Tkz getting ko'd the last second of the fight by yair. I turned off the Tv and just sat there after in dis belief of what I just saw.

deezlemike -

Tkz getting ko'd the last second of the fight by yair. I turned off the Tv and just sat there after in dis belief of what I just saw.

Yeah, that was another "holy shit" situation.

Wagnney Fabiano getting triangled by Mackens Semerzier.

Dude was a 3rd degree black belt and got tapped by a guy that ended up doing nothing what so ever in MMA. Mackens was a blue belt I think, which makes sense why he went for that triangle. 

Hocky - 

That dude's head not detaching from his body after Dan Miller got him in that guillotine in the IFL.

It looked like he was holding onto to a submission on a corpse at that point.

That's a great one. I thought Dan literally murdered someone in the ring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5Gmn3YDxJo
1 Like

Gonzaga headkicking CroCop

Todd Duffee getting Russow'd

Ryo Chonan flying heel hook on Anderson

Fedor subbed by Werdum

Masvidal flying knee on Askren

Dillashaw schooling Barao

1 Like

When Fedor subbed Werdum.

It was finally a real Fedor loss, and Werdum was the one to do it after Fedor dominated Nogueria so bad 2 times.

The same is eventually going to happen to JBJ soon.

Robbie Lawler fearlessly moving forward, bobbing a weaving, making Colby miss again and again, and never throwing a punch. Me and my buddy kept saying "what the fuck are we seeing right now?" 

1 Like

Silva vs Diaz 

Gartlin -

Robbie Lawler fearlessly moving forward, bobbing a weaving, making Colby miss again and again, and never throwing a punch. Me and my buddy kept saying "what the fuck are we seeing right now?" 

That's a really recent example. I was thinking the same thing. I remember the analyst/commentator (I think it was Dom) predicting that Lawler would start unloading in the 3rd round. Then the 4th. Then the 5th. It never happened.

Yves Edwards putting himself into Mark Hominick's triangle. 

Ken Shamrock getting KO'd by Buzz Berry

Couture getting KO'd by a punch to the shoulder

Couture getting KTFO by a Crane Kick