UFC 297 Strickland v. Du Plessis thread

I didn’t think the fight was that close. Curtis let it be close but that third round had a nice little clinch war.

1 Like

@sgotwalks again :joy:

Yeah that really pissed me off

1 Like

Since 502s are out of the way. Idk if this has been covered yet, but Dom was right. Evleoev was not downed.

4 Likes

Man I really wish they allowed knees to a downed opponent like Pride. That would add some real excitement to these fights. I’m ok with not allowing stomps and soccer kicks.

All these dudes with sloppy shots laying on all fours would be getting lit up

2 Likes

I was thinking the same thing.

I agree with the spirit of this rule to not intentionally ground yourself but calling it will be so subjective. In this case, I think it was clear but….

1 Like

This plus the yellow card stalling system

1 Like

Yeah. Stupid. Something tells me he feels pressured to restart a fight when that happens, even if it’s legal. Maybe he would have let one go, but not multiple. I don’t know. But the whole reason they made the grounding rule was to prevent that exact situation from happening.

I mean that’s pretty damn clear

3 Likes

I wish a “downed opponent” wasn’t a thing and all strikes were legal.

1 Like

Agree totally with knees but no soccer kicks. Knees can also be used from north/south, sidemount etc.

1 Like

Yep. Even the crowd knew what was up.

https://gifer.com/en/VNJ

Neil should handle Malott here…He’s got way more experience and has a height and reach advantage he should put to use

1 Like

Mike’s last 6 fights have been finishes, don’t fuck it up Neil

1 Like

How many silly leg locks would be stomped out of under those rules?

Knees and kicks to the head are more exciting. Shogun vs Rampage 1.

2 Likes

Mallott looks like a Beavis & Butthead or King of the Hill character.

1 Like

Mallot is pretty much the same height. He’s actually pretty dam huge for 170.

Yeah. I know what you mean about being subjective. I agree it was clear. I am looking for a natural grounding like when guys are in a scramble or grappling, maybe one guy trying to take the back or something. There are instances where a third limb being down is completely natural. When it is not one of these instances, it becomes obvious pretty fast that you are just putting your hand down to try to avoid being kneed in the head.

1 Like