UFC 40: Ken Shamrock Vs Tito Ortiz

Ken has showed guts in a good few fights. 

I always thought his skills were overrated, he's always had a good fan base though, so many always disagree.

Definitely a pioneer though. 

I thought Ken had a pretty good skill set during the NHB days?

Not sure if that was prime Tito but that for sure was not prime Ken.

I like to think a prime Ken vs that version of Tito, Ken would have won. 

https://youtu.be/neP5mgRygO8

Ken’s best performance?

Yes, I always thought that was his best performance, against Severn. 

Although I haven't seen everyone of his Pancrase fights. 

WALES - 

Ken did get back to his feet with pretty nice scramble if I remember.

IIRC Ken escaped to his feet twice, and ended the fight on his feet before his corner threw in the towel.

Yes of course the Ken that beat Severn beats any version of Tito.

I wouldn’t even think this should be a question.

If an injured and broken down 201lb Ken Shamrock could weather that storm, escape to his feet, and buckle Tito’s knees with the only punch he landed – what could prime HW Ken do??

Radford Martel - 

Yes, I always thought that was his best performance, against Severn. 

Although I haven't seen everyone of his Pancrase fights. 

Ken was too much for Bas Rutten.

Only fighter Bas never beat.

Good fights.

onepunchJD -
WALES - 

Ken did get back to his feet with pretty nice scramble if I remember.

IIRC Ken escaped to his feet twice, and ended the fight on his feet before his corner threw in the towel.

Yes of course the Ken that beat Severn beats any version of Tito.

I wouldn’t even think this should be a question.

If an injured and broken down 201lb Ken Shamrock could weather that storm, escape to his feet, and buckle Tito’s knees with the only punch he landed – what could prime HW Ken do??

Prime Ken vs Prime Tito is going to come down to who is the better wrestler.

260lbs Severn couldn’t move 220lbs Ken.

I think Tito was a much better wrestler than Ken.

I think Tito beats Ken 9 times out of 10 at any time/weight throughout their careers.

He did beat him 3 times afterall.

Tito has much better win names on his record. 

The Ken that beat Severn, wasn't too long from the Ken that lost to Royce. 

I can’t make up my mind on Ken. On the one hand he had supreme athletic abilities. Quick, agile and powerful. On the other hand, he was clunky. His stand up was awkward, as was his ground game. Similarly, his fight IQ was generally very high, ahead of the game, yet prone to some serious WTF moments.

Ken at his best was probably UU2. He was at his most knowledgeable while still in his prime. Yet, how does he beat Tito? I can’t see him getting the takedown and his standup was no better than Tito’s was. Meanwhile, I see Tito (who freaking out wrestled Vladdy M, pretty much ragdolled him), getting a few takedowns throughout the fight.

I still think the Ken that fought Fujita would have the best chance. As banged up and limited as he was, he at least showed the sprawl and brawl skills he would need to beat Tito.

2 Likes

90s and early 00s Ken was a formiddable opponent.  It's difficult for some to look past the poor performances he had late in his career, way after his prime, and after his injury laden stint in the WWF.

I never could stand Tito and I wasn't the biggest Ken supporter either but I wanted to see him smash that loud mouthed dumbass Tito and humble him. I felt like Ken had a real chance, too. I wanted to hear Tito have to explain why he's 0-2 vs the Shamrocks. I figured Ken could catch a leg or something. As soon as the fight was about to start, I was like "Eh, Ken doesn't have a chance, does he?" Seeing Tito bouncing around so energetic and seeing Ken looking drawn out and almost as if he was already beat up. He looked like he could have been Tito's dad or something. Then it became apparent that the size difference was a lot more than I'd previously thought. 

There is no version of Ken Shamrock ever that beats UFC 40 TIto. Just silly to think otherwise. SIlly willy.

2 Likes
BringBackHeadbutts - 

Regardless if it was prime Tito or not, Tito seemed to always have a mental edge on Ken Shamrock by the time they were able to fight each other. He had absolutely no fear of the man and I’d even venture to say he had complete disdain for him. He had zero fear of walking through everything and anything that Ken could throw at him. This is the guy that literally fork-lifted Ken across the octagon.

Contrast Ken to Chuck Liddell who Tito was scared shit-less of, until the most recent incarnation of the Iceman.

1 Like
WALES - 
Fabes -

I was there and it was such an amazing environment. Everyone was on their feet the whole time. I expected Tito to rag doll him and submit him. I always thought Ken was overrated and Tito was at his peak. 

UFC 40 doesn’t get the credit it deserves in regards to being the first huge event under Zuffa. UFC 40 really got the ball rolling.

Isn’t it pretty universally acknowledged as the true start of the Zuffa era and the event that laid the foundation for the current UFC?

FingerorMoon -
WALES - 
Fabes -

I was there and it was such an amazing environment. Everyone was on their feet the whole time. I expected Tito to rag doll him and submit him. I always thought Ken was overrated and Tito was at his peak. 

UFC 40 doesn’t get the credit it deserves in regards to being the first huge event under Zuffa. UFC 40 really got the ball rolling.

Isn’t it pretty universally acknowledged as the true start of the Zuffa era and the event that laid the foundation for the current UFC?

I think they credit The Ultimate Fighter series 1, but I think it’s UFC 40 that got the ball rolling.

Liyon -
BringBackHeadbutts - 

Regardless if it was prime Tito or not, Tito seemed to always have a mental edge on Ken Shamrock by the time they were able to fight each other. He had absolutely no fear of the man and I’d even venture to say he had complete disdain for him. He had zero fear of walking through everything and anything that Ken could throw at him. This is the guy that literally fork-lifted Ken across the octagon.

Contrast Ken to Chuck Liddell who Tito was scared shit-less of, until the most recent incarnation of the Iceman.

Would that be done to Tito knowing that Ken was close to 40 that he world be an easy fight?

Liyon - 
BringBackHeadbutts - 

I dont think Tito woulda done that to UU96 Ken! Ken woulda got him down and did some GnP. Fujits Ken maybe, but Ken’s stand up then was better than anything Tito ever did standing.

UFC 6 Ken was Beast as well.

Ken is so hot n cold and fell off so quickly as elite, but had his moments he was at the top.

Tito before the Ken fight was concerned about how strong Ken was based on things he heard. After the first round he said to his corner, “He’s not that strong.”

Fabes - 

There is no version of Ken Shamrock ever that beats UFC 40 TIto. Just silly to think otherwise. SIlly willy.

I think its silly to suggest Tito beats prime Ken.

Almost absurd.