UFC Channel

I like the idea don't get me wrong, but the thing is they need way more content then what they have now. Sure they have Pride but most of the great fights we remember they're not even gonna show. Basically Fedor is gone. Also they have TUF, but it's not hard to get through a season, I got through the season 1 DVD in 1 night. What they need to do is something similar to HDnet. Have UFC shows every week etc, documentaries, special cards just for that channel, the thing I love about HDnet so much is they add variety in there channel. But with the UFC channel you basically get fights most people have already seen. So it wouldn't be much of a difference from the UFC we have on spike. However I like the idea, if they get more people on the production team and end up making more series, etc it'll work. For example, if WWE ends up making a channel, you know they'll put all there DVDs of wrestlers from the past ETC, UFC needs to do this. Make certain DVDs for certain fighters.

Truth is UFC can learn ALOT from WWE.

KirbyLovesTacos - I like the idea don't get me wrong, but the thing is they need way more content then what they have now. Sure they have Pride but most of the great fights we remember they're not even gonna show. Basically Fedor is gone. Also they have TUF, but it's not hard to get through a season, I got through the season 1 DVD in 1 night. What they need to do is something similar to HDnet. Have UFC shows every week etc, documentaries, special cards just for that channel, the thing I love about HDnet so much is they add variety in there channel. But with the UFC channel you basically get fights most people have already seen. So it wouldn't be much of a difference from the UFC we have on spike. However I like the idea, if they get more people on the production team and end up making more series, etc it'll work. For example, if WWE ends up making a channel, you know they'll put all there DVDs of wrestlers from the past ETC, UFC needs to do this. Make certain DVDs for certain fighters.

Truth is UFC can learn ALOT from WWE.

They dont need as much content as you think.

For one, they would certainly create unique content for the channel as I mentioned. So they wouldnt be running replays for 24hrs straight.

Second, look at the NFL channel. Why is it popular? Its because they created value/demand for live content. The NFL channel was an afterthought until they decided to start putting regular season games on the channel and all the non regional pre season games. Then they got even more creative with the NFL Redzone channel. People dont buy the NFL channel for the back catalog, its just icing on the cake.

The UFC channel would work in the same way. By creating the value for the live events (PPV's) on the channel, your not exclusively selling the old content. You are selling the value of paying a monthly fee for ALL events, plus any new content. Then, whatever ways you can get creative to use the existing catalog is a bonus. As long as people find value in the live events, whether they watch at all for any other day other than a PPV is largely a moot point. Case in point is the NFL channel, which only is only relevant largely for 4 months during the season.

But, the UFC could very easily create additional unique content for the channel. (Many ideas listed) And you can reboot the old content by simply adding things like fighter commentary and interviews. Dont sell the existing content short. They dont dress up any of the classic boxing matches, but they still attract viewers on ESPN Classic. The same would be for UFC fights, though Zuffa could certainly do things to make them more attractive to even the oldschool fans who have seen the fights before.

I could totally get behind this idea. But I don't know if I'd be able to ever get off the couch again!

Jessethebandit - I could totally get behind this idea. But I don't know if I'd be able to ever get off the couch again!

Truth

Don't forget the 3 AM Eddie Bravo hour for the college/stoner crowd. Take some viewers away from Adult Swim.

Flying Teep - Don't forget the 3 AM Eddie Bravo hour for the college/stoner crowd. Take some viewers away from Adult Swim.

LMAO, I thought about Bravo!

So lets list possible new content....

* PPV's

* Weigh-Ins

* Press Conferences

* Video Blogs

* UFC-Center (Nightly, half hour)

* Joe Rogan Show (3hr morning drive or late-night show)

* Ariel Hawani (2hr Afternoon interview, caller show)

* Buffer Zone (Hour long weekly Buffer show)

* New fighter commentary on all events, event interviews for all events (essentially rebooting every event on catalog)

* UFC Gym, MMA workout show (morning or weekends)

* Video Game Show (Weekly)

* Ring Girl show (Weekly)

* Eddie Bravo (Stoner Hour With the Twister 3am nightly)

* UFC Expo coverage

* Behind the scenes (Event production)

* Instructionals

* Event backstage coverage (An hour before prelims begin, warmup footage, additional interviews, analysis etc)

Then you have the 700+ hours of existing content, which grows each month with each new event(s)

More than enough for what would be the best channel in the history of television

Superfurryanimal - This is a great idea fella, but what if the UFC do it this way.......

PPV for live events as normal.

The UFC Channel shows that event the following evening.

They would do it too, because some would pay for both.

Those who want the channel, but also want to watch the fights live.

Smell that money.....

Wouldnt work. Nobody is paying $50 for a PPV if they get it the next day as part of a $24 monthly channel subscription. Or, people would just find other ways to watch the fight live and then say to hell with the channel.

It has to be built around providing value for live PPV's. That would drive the value and demand for the channel.

They could also show some BJJ and muay thai tournements. The could do a show where they go around and check out everyones gym or even documentarys about BJJ, muay thai, catch wrestling etc. They could bring back the Tapout show as well and use it to find the next seasons TUF guys.

My gf said they need to do a dating show like the Bret Micheals thing but with Chuck lol.

The Kangaroo - 
goeb - Give it another 3 years or so...they need original programming, can't just show events and greatest KO's.

Original programming would be incorporated into the channel. (Many examples listed in thread) What incentive is there now for original programming, beyond events and TUF, without an exclusive channel to house it? (And more importantly who would want to air it?)

Look at the history of the NFL channel. The channel at first was largely just a library of classic games/footage. They started producing original content to supplement the existing classic games which helped drive interest. Once they started incorporating live games into the channel, creating more demand, the network picked up steam.

If the UFC based a channel around live content (PPV) and created original content to supplement the existing library of events and shows, it could work very well.

wow...you want PPV's to be included in the channel?...no chance in hell that happens.

" Nexuscrawlers - i'd prefer an MMA channel, where they show SF, Bellator, WEC, and the Japanese ones too.
i'd be satisfied with a UFC channel though, it would be a good start

It would be tough to get Zuffa to "share" a channel with anyone IMO."

Exactly. Not to mention there would probably be independent media doing analysis, something the UFC doesn't want.

goeb - 
The Kangaroo - 
goeb - Give it another 3 years or so...they need original programming, can't just show events and greatest KO's.

Original programming would be incorporated into the channel. (Many examples listed in thread) What incentive is there now for original programming, beyond events and TUF, without an exclusive channel to house it? (And more importantly who would want to air it?)

Look at the history of the NFL channel. The channel at first was largely just a library of classic games/footage. They started producing original content to supplement the existing classic games which helped drive interest. Once they started incorporating live games into the channel, creating more demand, the network picked up steam.

If the UFC based a channel around live content (PPV) and created original content to supplement the existing library of events and shows, it could work very well.

wow...you want PPV's to be included in the channel?...no chance in hell that happens.

Its not conventional, but it could work.

You have to remember, only a small percentage of the average viewer base would subscribe to the channel. I've outline above how they would not lose any money doing it this way. (Could possibly make more!)

If you want a UFC channel, it has to have premium content and the only premium content they have is PPV.

frontrowbrian -  The WWE Channel is debuting within 18 months. Knowing the way Zuffa rips off WWE's business plan, a UFC channel will probably be in operation within 3-4 years.

Yeah im not sure where Kirby came up with the idea that the WWE had already failed in a dedicated channel when it appears they are in development right now.

The should have one but it would probably have to be a pay channel anyway. 

thforklift -  The should have one but it would probably have to be a pay channel anyway. 

Of course.

Have you read the thread?

frontrowbrian -  The WWE Channel is debuting within 18 months. Knowing the way Zuffa rips off WWE's business plan, a UFC channel will probably be in operation within 3-4 years.

Wow frontblowbrian, you seem a little bitter.

KrillaSeth -  Great Idea VTFU!

Thanks

The Kangaroo - 
thforklift -  The should have one but it would probably have to be a pay channel anyway. 

Of course.

Sort of. 

I think it is an excellent idea. 

thforklift - 
The Kangaroo - 

Of course.

Sort of. 

I think it is an excellent idea. 

PPV's would be on the channel, so it would be a pay channel, like $24.95 a month.

I'd buy it if they had a lot of reruns, like for no reason at all, they played UFC VIII from beginning to end. Cool shit like that. And $24.95/mo would make it a premium channel, not a package channel that runs commercials. The channel could even broadcast cards from promotions not considered direct competition. There are a lot of cool possibilities. I've heard and read a lot of ideas on here but this is by far one of the very best.