UFC Channel

thforklift -  I'd buy it if they had a lot of reruns, like for no reason at all, they played UFC VIII from beginning to end. Cool shit like that. And $24.95/mo would make it a premium channel, not a package channel that runs commercials. The channel could even broadcast cards from promotions not considered direct competition. There are a lot of cool possibilities. I've heard and read a lot of ideas on here but this is by far one of the very best. 

Yeah, it would certainly be a premium channel. Events would certainly be replayed when non-live or new content is playing. Plus I think they can go back and get new commentary from the fighters from the event, so say once or twice a week, there could be a flashback series where you watch the old event, but with new commentary from the actual fighters. Things like that would be epic and would create even further demand for old events.

When Dana contacts me to be the programming director, I'll lay out a mock week worth of programming, it will not dissapoint! lol

Kangaroo - I voted you up kind sir. 

Love the idea but I doubt they would include PPVs as part of the package. More likely scenario is that they'd air PPVs a week later like HBO does. Either way I'd pay for it.

I don't think live PPVs on a subscription channel would work, because people could just subscribe on the day of the PPV and then cancel the next day and legally watch the PPV for $1 (prorated portion of a $30 monthly subscription).

However, I would gladly pay for a channel with a 'UFC Classic' show that featured entire SEG era events.  I would definitely get sucked into that show every time I ran across it.  They could also use the channel to expand their number of events they hold.  Right now, they are limited by the terms of their Spike & Versus contracts to only having a certain number of shows.  They could run UFC Network shows independant of those contracts whenever they want.  Not PPV level shows, but something like the level they were considering for HBO shows.

Steve4192 - I don't think live PPVs on a subscription channel would work, because people could just subscribe on the day of the PPV and then cancel the next day and legally watch the PPV for $1 (prorated portion of a $30 monthly subscription).

There are ways around that. One, charge up front, ie make the $24.95 monthly fee charged the second the channel is ordered. (No prorating) Two, consider a subscription contract. (have to have channel for 6 months for example) Three, freeze any account from ordering it after dropping the channel X amount of times. (Say, twice)

Its very easy to set up to avoid scammers. They (satellite) do similar things for hardware upgrades, in regards to contracts and penalties.

Steve4192 -However, I would gladly pay for a channel with a 'UFC Classic' show that featured entire SEG era events.  I would definitely get sucked into that show every time I ran across it.  They could also use the channel to expand their number of events they hold.  Right now, they are limited by the terms of their Spike & Versus contracts to only having a certain number of shows.  They could run UFC Network shows independant of those contracts whenever they want.  Not PPV level shows, but something like the level they were considering for HBO shows.

The cool thing is, the channel does not have to compete with existing deals. Zuffa is not going to want to lessen their visibility from Spike or Versus. You protect them by continuing to do events/shows on those networks and setting a timeline for their usage on the UFC Channel. (Say, cannot be used on the UFC Channel for 6 months) But, in that time, they can go back and get new commentary, interviews to splice into the events, to create a new demand for rewatching the event.

Possibilities are endless, and do not compete with the expansion on other networks.

DO IT DANA! I'd support that!!

Superfurryanimal - I know what you were saying about the UFC being able to charge less than the PPV cos they would not have to pay anyone else, but is $24.95 realistic?

Can you tell me (as a Brit clueless to US TV cable prices etc) how you arrived at that price?

It just seems too low. As they are averaging two shows a month, even charging the same as a current PPV per month, with all the extra content and classic fights would seem a bargain for most big UFC fans.

Whats to stop that?

I already listed the benifits in past posts. But here is a quick summary...

PPV providers take huge cuts of PPV revenue. Your $50 for a UFC is not $50 directly to Zuffa. The channel eliminates this.

What most PPV oriented people hate is wild fluctuations. This model (Channel) would address that. Youd come close to even if not make more in the longterm, by ensuring potential viewers are paying you something each month, rather than being subject to fickle viewership.

Also, the value of having constant revenue is priceless. Money in hand is better than potential in any singular event.

Additionally, we are only talking about 100-200k hardcore types. They would still have the existing model in place for one-off viewers. (Which would still be between 75-85% of their income)

Plus, there are other revenue streams by having a channel. (Advertising, leasing air-time to events that are not direct compeitiors... ADCC, K-1 etc)

I dont think theyd lose a dime on the people that subscribed, if anything it would provide a more steady revenue stream AND the possibilities of greater profits.

Well, well, well      just like Redneck has been saying.

Wait what

not for 30$ I can't afford it. just a reg channel will get them enough money Phone Post

My brother is an editor at E! Entertainment which is in the same building as G4. He is hearing word that it's 95% done that Zuffa is buying out the channel and this will all go down within the next 2 weeks.

I work on the Ultimate Fighter but I haven't heard anything substantial other than rumors...

Great idea!

There was a rumor floating around when they were in Aus that they were going to buy our free to air sport channel oneHD but don't know what became of it.. Phone Post

The Kangaroo - So lets list possible new content....

* PPV's
* Weigh-Ins
* Press Conferences
* Video Blogs
* UFC-Center (Nightly, half hour)
* Joe Rogan Show (3hr morning drive or late-night show)
* Ariel Hawani (2hr Afternoon interview, caller show)
* Buffer Zone (Hour long weekly Buffer show)
* New fighter commentary on all events, event interviews for all events (essentially rebooting every event on catalog)
* UFC Gym, MMA workout show (morning or weekends)
* Video Game Show (Weekly)
* Ring Girl show (Weekly)
* Eddie Bravo (Stoner Hour With the Twister 3am nightly)
* UFC Expo coverage
* Behind the scenes (Event production)
* Instructionals
* Event backstage coverage (An hour before prelims begin, warmup footage, additional interviews, analysis etc)

Then you have the 700+ hours of existing content, which grows each month with each new event(s)

More than enough for what would be the best channel in the history of television

Steven Seagal marathons

ttt

ECWCock - 
The Kangaroo - ttt

I bump your year old thread and all I get is ttt?

LOL. The thread was not in my Subscriptions anymore, so i had to bump to get it back in my threads.

That said, the G4 developments are interesting, but we need more details. Since G4 is not a subscription channel, they could follow my model, minus the PPV's. (While incorporating some of G4's exclusive content)

My gut feeling is if that deal goes through it would be less of a dedicated UFC channel and more of a hybrid, where they would keep the more popular G4 shows (Attack of the Show), and continue to show movies at certain time slots, and then fill the rest with Zuffa based content.

I have mixed feelings.

The one thing that does make a lot of sense is the G4 channel is specifically targeting the same 18-35 audience as the UFC. So in that sense, though you could get some crazy lineups (Attack of the Show at 8pm, TUF at 9, Rambo at 10!) the content would still be tied together loosely based on a specific demographic.

TTT for a great idea

GriffinQ -  TTT for a great idea

Man if there was a UFC channel I'd never leave home lol. I would become those South Park kids when they got hooked on World of Warcraft.

I would defiantly subscribe to that ! Phone Post