UFC fights we want in 2021: Vera vs O’Malley II

Bantamweight is the Ultimate Fighting Championship’s best division. The top-15 is so damn rich in talent I just gained two-pounds thinking about it. Yet just like any other division, it’s in a constant state of flux with new names looking to usurp top spots from the established ones. Meaning there’s a cornucopia of great match-ups to make this year, but the UFC better make this fight in 2021.

UFC dream fight: Marlon Vera vs. Sean O'Malley II

Yes, I know they already fought. Yes, I know Marlon Vera won, but considering the oddness surrounding Sean O’Malley‘s injury in the fight, are you really against these two running it back? It was probably the most anticipated fight on a card headlined by the Stipe Miocic and Daniel Cormier trilogy scrap. All the ingredients are still there for highlight reel antics. Plus, they disliked each other then, and nothing has changed since. Who doesn’t like fights between people who really want to hurt the other?

Read the full case made below:

https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/editorial/ufc-fights-we-want-to-see-in-2021-vera-vs-omalley-ii/

Why? Vera clearly beat O’Malley.

6 Likes

O’Malley was destroying him before the foot injury. Go back and watch the fight. He was clearly going to win it decisively.

MTomlinson - O'Malley was destroying him before the foot injury. Go back and watch the fight. He was clearly going to win it decisively.

Until he injured himself and was carted off.

Why a rematch? It wasn’t a title fight. Wasn’t a grudge match. It was an up-and-comer against a blood and guts veteran and the up and comer lost. He should have to fight someone else.

2 Likes

I'd watch but he should fight someone else.

1 Like
MTomlinson - O'Malley was destroying him before the foot injury. Go back and watch the fight. He was clearly going to win it decisively.

Yes, O'Malley was DESTROYING HIM with the THREE HEAD STRIKES he landed before going down. Surprised the ref disnt stop it there because O'Malley clearly had already beaten Vera. Lol!

3 Likes
wiggum -
MTomlinson - O'Malley was destroying him before the foot injury. Go back and watch the fight. He was clearly going to win it decisively.

Why a rematch? It wasn’t a title fight. Wasn’t a grudge match. It was an up-and-comer against a blood and guts veteran and the up and comer lost. He should have to fight someone else.

Stop saying he injured himself.

Vera kicked him and injured him. It was a fight winning move, not an accident.

3 Likes
Steven McTowelie - 
wiggum -

Stop saying he injured himself.

Vera kicked him and injured him. It was a fight winning move, not an accident.

Yes. Good point.

Vera beat him decisively, I don’t need to see a rematch anytime soon.

3 Likes

I love watching Omalley fighting but unorhadox fighter usually get exposed at some point.  Hopefully he can right the ship because he is entertaining

wiggum - 

I hear you, but it still has some great reasons for a rematch: one being O’Malley’s attitude post-fight (i.e. he’s still “undefeated”) as well as Vera’s coming off a loss and would likely love to shut O’Malley up, proving it wasn’t a fluke win.

A rematch between the two has the makings of a great grudge match and would likely create some great pre-fight interviews which would draw fans in. Fights between guys who dislike each other are almost always highly entertaining.

I say why the hell not?

Ministry of Truth - 
wiggum - 

I hear you, but it still has some great reasons for a rematch: one being O’Malley’s attitude post-fight (i.e. he’s still “undefeated”) as well as Vera’s coming off a loss and would likely love to shut O’Malley up, proving it wasn’t a fluke win.

A rematch between the two has the makings of a great grudge match and would likely create some great pre-fight interviews which would draw fans in. Fights between guys who dislike each other are almost always highly entertaining.

I say why the hell not?

That’s fair enough.

I just don’t like the precedent of letting someone who talks his way into stardom get a mulligan. I’d rather that he take another step back and work his way back up. I’d love to see him and Vera meet up again down the line, but not right now.

O'Malley deserves that rematch. He's the better fighter and wins against Vera 9/10 times.

wiggum - Why? Vera clearly beat O'Malley.

Yeah. I have zero interest in seeing them fight again right now. 

2 Likes
JoeHurley -
MTomlinson - O'Malley was destroying him before the foot injury. Go back and watch the fight. He was clearly going to win it decisively.

Yes, O'Malley was DESTROYING HIM with the THREE HEAD STRIKES he landed before going down. Surprised the ref disnt stop it there because O'Malley clearly had already beaten Vera. Lol!

Exactly. Lol @ “destroying” him. 

2 Likes
Ministry of Truth -
wiggum - 

I say why the hell not?

I actually agree with those reasons, but just not right now. I want to move on from that fight. People still haven’t stopped talking about it, and Sean hasn’t fought anyone since. I’d say maybe a year down the line, but a rematch now is not necessary. 

wiggum - 
Ministry of Truth - 
wiggum - 

I say why the hell not?

That’s fair enough.

I just don’t like the precedent of letting someone who talks his way into stardom get a mulligan. I’d rather that he take another step back and work his way back up. I’d love to see him and Vera meet up again down the line, but not right now.

Love him or hate him, most of O’Malley’s wins have come via KO, so I wouldn’t exactly equate his fame simply with his mouth. Plus some of those were clean KOs, which isn’t exactly common at 135.

If Vera didn’t want that rematch I would be completely cool with it, but I have a feeling he would love to shut Sean up. I think what Vera thinks matters most in the situation.

1 Like
MasterofMartialArts - 
Ministry of Truth -
wiggum - 

I say why the hell not?

I actually agree with those reasons, but just not right now. I want to move on from that fight. People still haven’t stopped talking about it, and Sean hasn’t fought anyone since. I’d say maybe a year down the line, but a rematch now is not necessary. 

Both Vera and O’Malley are coming off losses, which is always a good time to matchup fighters.

Plus claiming people are still talking about it contradicts your stance. There’s no reason to make a rematch when people aren’t talking about it, right?

Full disclosure: I’m a Vera and O’Malley fan.

I’d love to see Chito get the chance to shut O’Malley up just as much as I’d like to see if O’Malley really has what it takes to beat him. I’m still fascinated by the matchup, and as much as I don’t believe it was a fluke, I also recognize that kick and outcome isn’t exactly a high-percentage event.

Not interested. There are better fights to make in the meantime. If they eventually meet again, cool.