UFC gloves vs Bellator, Eagle, & PFL

Eagle FC (unbranded) vs UFC (century)

PFL (fuji) vs UFC (century)

2 Likes

Bellator MMA (leone/everlast) vs UFC (century)

1 Like

Was talking about this on another thread, it’s crazy how the UFC is basically using the same glove technology as Ouano’s gloves from 20 years ago.

I can’t think of any other major promotion than UFC that uses flat gloves opposed to the curved gloves.

https://forums.mixedmartialarts.com/t/blaf-says-they-spend-20-million-a-year-on-fighter-safety-but/3692064/107

3 Likes

The powerlock glove was introduced into Bellator around 2014. It’s the same glove as today but when Scott Coker took over he changed the colors to all Red and Blue, like Strikeforce, he loves it lol

3 Likes

watching the UFC from Day one they improved the rules after each event and evolved at such a rapid rate except for the fucking gloves.
Why?
it just doesn’t make any sense.

3 Likes

Pride FC glove is Goat

9 Likes

No only the gloves are the same design but the materials have not been improved either. There are tons of better materials and padding that could and should be used.

3 Likes

Look at the padding structure in these.

Much better.

It has to be THE stupidest things they do. Eye pokes happen all the fucking time. What’s the damn reason they don’t change? Even if it’s a sponsor, that sponsor can change the model!

2 Likes

It Is What Is Dana White GIF

2 Likes

The holy grail!

Actually the Affliction gloves are rarer (like Pride they didn’t let the fighters keep them, but unlbut Authentic Pride are among the coolest gloves ever made.

2 Likes

Even Eagle FC --a brand new promotion-- has better gloves.

The UFC gloves have needed an update for a decade now. I remember them going through the upgrade process 3-4 years ago, they were testing out different styled gloves, seems like they completely abandoned the idea. I remember hearing issues about licensing and how Dana (or was it Ari?) didn’t want to shell out royalties.

2 Likes

I have no idea. They have been made by Century since 2007. I heard Big John mention it’s probably contractual obstacles, but yeah there’s no reason why they can’t redo the design even under Century.

We need @JohnMorganMMA to address this to the Bald Father and get updates on the contract

2 Likes

The reason they haven’t fixed the gloves cant be because it restricts grappling.
Fedor submitted Coleman in the best submission I’ve ever seen in MMA wearing those Pride FC gloves.

2 Likes

These Fairtex are my personal favorite gloves to wear. The comfort and the quality are top notch. It got MMA glove of the year in 2008. I know ONE FC is currently useing these fairtex models. I love them.

1 Like

2 Likes

Check out these bad boys.

Origins of my gay username I’ll be changing soon on the right. And those XXXXL Strikeforce gloves I told you about in the middle.

Also bonus Trump.

1 Like

All of these are really old designs, by that I mean, none of them are really that innovative at this point, nearly all glove makers except for maybe ONX are using a rehash of an older design, just in different colors or very minor variant.

The UFC/Ouano design has been used and copied a million times, but so too have the Fairtex and Pride style designs.

So to me all of the marketing now is basically empty cash grab, just like gi’s. The ONX design is really the only fresh set of idea’s I’ve seen.

Leone for example is a newer company but they just repackage the same old crap we saw a decade and a half ago, from the original Fairtex-style design, and Combat Sports International designs, just in different colors and logos. This stuff has been available from PK/IN factories for cheap, forever. You are paying for brand and colorway and hype.

There’s only so many ways to put 4oz of protection over the hand that allow you to fit in with a MMA fight wrap job, and that allow finger-level mobility.

The promotions just use whatever is generally good for them financially - i.e. Everlast or someone else approaches them and cuts a deal. I believe UFC now owns the IP for their design (originally Ouano’s) so if they ever change it, they will iterate on that protected design.

What will make them change that glove?? Not exactly sure. Other than eye injuries or something else that forces a hard look at redesign I dont see a huge change in the pad coming.

I can see evolution in the wrap system though, the existing setup is crap, they need a wrap setup like the Fairtex style design, much easier entry and exit with a fight wrap.

1 Like

The fairtex ones have always been really good in terms of shape and fit.

Not sure about quality of materials and padding though.

1 Like