UFC in Hi-Def

dude, lost in 1080i compared to SD is amazing, just the color clarity alone, but the sharpness is amazing, feel like I can walk into my 52 inch tv right onto the beach in hawaii

dude, lost in 1080i compared to SD is amazing, just the color clarity alone, but the sharpness is amazing, feel like I can walk into my 52 inch tv right onto the beach in hawaii

JM - are you insane?

That beaver documentary was the best thing ive seen in HD for a while. who knew they were so industrious.

HBOPPV does broadcast in HD. if its not shot in HD, then it cant be broadcast in HD.

I saw a caterpillar cock, is it HD?

"That beaver documentary was the best thing ive seen in HD for a while. who knew they were so industrious"

That is the most kick ass thing I have seen in HD. People get pissed when they come over because if the beavers are building I am watching it again and again.

"Arby, just because the "UFC is on the hi def channel in 100% hi def" doesn't mean it's actually 100% Hi-def. I'm a video engineer and have been for over 20 years"

Then you know that "hi def" refers to the resolution, and when 1080i content like these past UFCs is shown on a station broadcasting in 1080i, that's high def.

Whatever the expenses involved in HD, obviously they are already spending the money since those of us with INHD are enjoying the past shows in HD.

As for HD PPVs costing more because of the bandwidth, does anyone know that for a fact? As it is, the Comcast Indemand HD PPV channel shows a still image of the logo pretty much 24/7. Obviously no one (aside from some rare boxing PPVs) is filling up that space. You would think they would be only too happy to get some HD content on there to make their HD cable packages that much more appealing.

Where is the engineer nerd guy??

It's not the UFC's problem. The problem is, for Sattelite and cable(unlike HD over atenna), non-HD, and HD channels are on two different bands. Opening up another band for PPV in HD is expensive, and to do so, you'd need two different PPV channels for the event. One in HD, and one in SD. The cables and sattelite companies don't want to pay for opening up the additional band, and they're also frankly worried that their customers are complete idiots. IE, that people will order the nonHD and expect HD, or will order the HD, and not have an HD television and get shitty signal, which then will make them call the cable/sattelite company and complain about their PPV, thus clogging up the Tech Support call center.

So it's not UFC's fault. And for that matter, it's not even the cab;e company's, really, as they get all their PPV from such companies as In-DEMAND.

So complain to IN-DEMAND about it. They have their own website.

And btw, to everyone who says HD is overrated, find a good Mitsubishi TV, with an HDMI cable, and 1080P, and watch Discovery HD Theatre. You'll be a convert.

Yes. Yes I am. I prefer the lava show

It is on now (INHD)!!

It's just 52 though, right?

I may sound greedy, but I wish they would show more recent UFC's

And play the IFC tourney more often. That was an amazing tourney

Where is the engineer nerd that will tell you guys its fake HD and your watching an illusion

come back

Ok einstiens.

16:9 and 4:3 are aspect ratios. NO I repeat NO relavence on SD or HD.

HD can be 4:3 or 16:9 just like SD.

HD is 720p60 is 1280 ? 720 pixels, progressive encoding with 60 frames
per second. 1080i50 is 1920 ? 1080 pixels, interlaced encoding with 50
fields.
If you don't own a HD set and an HD receiver then it doesnt matter if "they
show it in HD" or not.

Gonzo phd your website seems to be shot in "No Def"

Whats wrong with him^

--- Cyrus wrote: "16:9 and 4:3 are aspect ratios. NO I repeat NO relavence on SD or HD." ---

That's an idiotic statement. (Sorry, was that too direct?) Those aspect ratios are incredibly relevant to Hi-Def vs standard NTSC.

The NTSC standard format is 4:3 (most typically 640 by 480 resolution...although some other resolutions can be used, the aspect ratio of NTSC remains 4:3).

The native aspect ratio of digital Hi-Definition is (essentially) 16:9. Have you ever friggin' crunched the numbers of the two digital HD formats?
Here:

1280 X 720 (often referred to as "720p") and
1920 X 1080 (often referred to as 1080i...or 1080p depending on field capture)

Guess what aspect ratio they both come out as? Yup, that's right "Einstein."

Here take a look at the EBU technical report detailing High Definition Image Formats For Television Production:

http://www.ebu.ch/CMSimages/en/tec_doc_t3299_tcm6-23327.pdf

Note how it says "16:9" aspect ratio for EVERY HD format?

So obviously 4:3 (NTSC "SD" native format) and 16:9 (HD native format) has EVERY relevance to SD or HD. That's why it's in all the video magazines. Gadzooks, where are you getting your information? Best Buy?

(BTW, The native aspect ratio of Standard Definition TV is that squarish 4:3 that we all grew up with, so it's one good way to generally have a good idea you aren't watching something shot on HD, if it's 4:3 - which on a 16:9 widescreen TV, will have black bars on the sides.

That's why, when the wide-screen HD program you are watching goes to commercial break, most commercials go to the 4:3 format with black bars on the sides, because they aren't shot in HD.

Essentially, if it's 4:3 it almost certainly is not HD. "Almost," because you can still do things like transfer older movies, which have aspect ratios near 4:3, to High-Definition captures. In those more rare cases, that movie will show up as 4:3 with black bars on the sides, on a widescreen HD TV. It is an HDTV signal. However, since HDTV is a wider native aspect ratio - essentially 16:9 - some of the resolution could said to be unused, since only the centre 4:3 portion is captured in the signal for that old movie, which does not take advantage of the unused pixels comprising outside of the 4:3 image.

However, the fact you can still capture a 4:3 on HD transfer does not change the fact that the HD signal is
STILL a full 16:9 aspect ratio. You are just throwing away a bunch of space on the sides when you do a 4:3 film transfer to Hi-Def).

Anyway...HD is truly awesome (I've been an A/V geek for a long time).

Anyone tried the new Toshiba HD-DVD player? The ergonomics suck but the picture is getting raves. Finally, we AV/Movies fans get true 1080i HD images (which, for film become 1080p/24 when properly de-interlaced by your HD display), without the compression artifacts you get in broadcast Hi-Def signals. I've seen some of the HD-DVD movies on that player and they look gorgeous.

And, per the thread title, yeah I wish the UFC broadcast in HD too!

Prof.

and some high-fps cameras like on the pride ringposts