UFC sign's rapist*, assault battery & child abuser

Sunkist1207 - 
LTL - *Alleged

New UFC signing's troubled past includes rape charge, battery and child abuse conviction

New Mexico-based heavyweight Cody East recently signed with the UFC after winning a Legacy FC bout in front of Dana White, but there has been plenty of controversy surrounding East's numerous violent criminal charges over the past 11 years.

The UFC recently added another heavyweight to its roster in Legacy FC's Cody East. He's reportedly scheduled to fight Walt Harris on the preliminary card of UFC 197: Cormier vs. Jones 2 on April 23rd. "The Freight Train" has been in the pros since May 2008, compiling a 12-1 record, with 11 of his victories by either knockout or submission, and his 40 second TKO of Kevin Asplund on February 5th will soon be featured on Dana White's "Lookin' For a Fight" series.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/26/11111414/mma-news-new-ufc-signing-cody-east-troubled-past-includes-rape-assault-child-abuse

LTL,

Please find below  an update on this story and the UFCs statement on this matter

Friday, Bloody Elbow published an article on the criminal history of recent UFC signing Cody East, a 12-1 heavyweight out of New Mexico. The former high school wrestling champion was signed following a 40 second knockout win at Legacy FC 51, which was filmed by the "Lookin' For a Fight" crew, with UFC president Dana White in attendance. East was acquitted of a 2005 rape as a minor (while still in high school), but was sentenced to 3 years in prison and 5 years probation after a jury found him guilty of 3 counts of third-degree felony child abuse and 1 count of misdemeanor battery stemming from a 2007 underage drinking party at his home.

Jason House, Cody East's manager, responded to the article, saying that "the UFC conducted an extensive background check on Cody before offering him the opportunity to compete in the UFC."
Bloody Elbow contacted the UFC on Thursday, receiving a response on Friday with a full statement, including details on their independent investigation into East and their decision to sign him.
"From the beginning, Mr. East was very upfront with UFC regarding his past. In light of Mr. East's history, UFC had an independent investigation conducted into his past and current behavior. Included in the investigation was a response from East's former probation officer supporting his opportunity to compete in UFC and commenting that he would in fact be a good candidate. As a result of the investigation, and with the understanding that Mr. East had successfully completed many months of rehabilitation and counseling, UFC felt comfortable offering Mr. East the opportunity to compete in UFC."

One notable fighter who was denied a UFC contract for criminal history is Devin Cole, whose planned 2012 signing to fight Travis Browne was nixed due to a 2008 guilty plea for fourth-degree assault and sexual harassment charges. More recently, the UFC released featherweight Will Chope one day before a 2014 fight vs. Diego Brandao after a Bleacher Report investigation revealed he'd received a bad conduct discharge from Air Force in 2009 for domestic violence against his ex-wife. Dana White later noted that while the UFC "will give guys second chances", sponsorship and television partners may not see it the same way.
On the flip side, the UFC signed Abel Trujillo in 2012 despite twice pleading guilty to domestic abuse charges several years prior to his signing. Light heavyweight contender Anthony Johnson pleaded no contest to a 2009 misdemeanor domestic violence charge while under UFC contract in 2010, and was indefinitely suspended pending the result of a civil case against him in 2014 for domestic violence, but the suspension was lifted after the case was dismissed.
Cody East, whose probation ended in March 2015, is expected to make his Octagon debut on April 23rd against Walt Harris on the UFC 197 preliminary card.
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/27/11125064/ufc-statement-independent-investigation-conducted-cody-east-criminal-background-mma-news

For anybody who missed the UFC statement on Cody East 

Bloody Elbow contacted the UFC on Thursday, receiving a response on Friday with a full statement, including details on their independent investigation into East and their decision to sign him.
"From the beginning, Mr. East was very upfront with UFC regarding his past. In light of Mr. East's history, UFC had an independent investigation conducted into his past and current behavior. Included in the investigation was a response from East's former probation officer supporting his opportunity to compete in UFC and commenting that he would in fact be a good candidate. As a result of the investigation, and with the understanding that Mr. East had successfully completed many months of rehabilitation and counseling, UFC felt comfortable offering Mr. East the opportunity to compete in UFC."
Chromium - Jesus fucking Christ, people are defending this guy being on the roster? Yeah, I don't expect fighters to be perfect, or perfectly stable. Chuck Liddell made this argument to defend Chris Leben on TUF 1, and he was right.

There's also a huge difference between "troubled, unstable individual with demons" and "extremely long criminal record of domestic assault". I'm not even including the rape allegations here. The guy isn't just unstable, he's a repeated violent felon and woman beater. He does not deserve a chance in the UFC. He should and probably will be released before his first fight. Phone Post 3.0

Chromium, 

Pardon me if you have already seen it but please find below the UFCs statement on Cody East

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/2/27/11125064/ufc-statement-independent-investigation-conducted-cody-east-criminal-background-mma-news

^^^you just gonna repost that article over and over? Phone Post 3.0

BLPorritt - ^^^you just gonna repost that article over and over? Phone Post 3.0

BLPorritt,
I reposted the article because I am not sure if everyone replying to the thread, responded after only reading the first post. I have no dog in this fight and at times I am baffled by the outcome of the UFC "Independent investigations" but if the outcome is satisfactory to the UFC and they are happy to offer Cody a contract, who am I to judge?

When is this guy due to fight?

SinCityHustler - When is this guy due to fight?
He already fought and got Tko'd lol Phone Post 3.0

Country Breakfast - 
SinCityHustler - When is this guy due to fight?
He already fought and got Tko'd lol Phone Post 3.0

Thanks. I was waiting for the shit storm on the site, and I never saw anything on it.

DalyDentedDecimated'sDome -
scourge - Well, they are putting a rapist in their new video game, so...

? who zat

Dont talk about iron mike, bro Phone Post 3.0