UFC suing Nebraska bar owner for 260k

^You need to study a little bit about the Capitalist Market and some basic supply side economics.  They should get any amount for tickets people will pay, and not a penny less. Further,  DFW Jr tons TONS for the casual fan. From charity, to putting prelims on Facebook just for us, etc.

Think again sir.

Don't talk to me like that Mr. Zipplokk, I will slap your mouth!

quick story,
(happened a little after UFC 90)

While Job Hunting-I came across a C/L add, it said do you like the UFC and MMA, Do you want to work for them? It seemed weird, as why would they be posting CL chicago. I sent an email and said i was interested, and it turned out to be a law firm that was in fact associated with the UFC (I checked)

Basically, it went like this. On Friday's they would send me a list of approved bars to be playing the PPV's. My "job" would be to call bars that weren't on the list and find out if they would be showing the fights. If I found one, my job would be to go to the bar, take photos (or video) of the place with the fights on the screens- and fill out a questionnaire. Things like what was the bar tenders name, how many ppl were there, was there promo material promoting the event? How many screens were showing the fights? It got really specific like who was your waitress, what was she wearing? Was there a cover charge? It was 3 pages long, and after I filled it out, I was to take it to a notary to get notarized. I was then to bundle it all up,and send it to these guys. if the bar wasn't on the list-I would get 300$

It seemed really weird to do this for me, So i never did it, and I only knew one bar that really did it-and it was a local spot of mine. I wasn't going to sell those guys out either.

I know cool story bro, but I imagine thats how these places get caught. I just wanted to note that they have been doing it for a while.

Stealing is stealing, and this sends the correct message. You guys can't complain about fighter purses and then complain about this as well. Besides I'm not sure but I think that establishments pay the UFC a flat fee according to fire occupancy. I don't know if it costs them anything to show it without charging people for it, but that's a good way to drum up business as well. If they were stealing liquor and selling it to customers we wouldn't see anything wrong with suing or prosecuting them, would we?

I hope Zuffa uses that money paying their fighters more.

Immaculata - I hope Zuffa uses that money paying their fighters more.

To pay them MORE than their contract already calls for??? They already do that, too=)

Cindy

Haven't read thread ...... Without saying too much I know of 2 small bars in the Midwest that are being sued right now and I believe it's for the same March ppv in the OP. If not it was the one after . By small bar I mean seating capacity of 250 MAX with around 40 people at peak during the ppv at each bar . They are being sued for 25,000 each for that 1 ppv . An undercover person for UFC/ZUFFA/???media group made contact with the bar via Facebook when it was posted that the ppv would be shown asking for directions and info or whatever. They recorded it being shown at the bar and served papers shortly thereafter . Phone Post

Fine should be in the 10-20k range imo

Enough to really hurt a small bar owner who stole without completely ruining him

Nice way to make someone go broke for illegaly showing a UFC. I don't condone what the guy supposedly did, but is it really fair to try and whipe the guy out? UFC is being a big jerk here, IMO.

Chris Power - $260,000? Basically they're trying to shut this place down for showing UFC events by just legal-feeing them to death.

Zuffa's awesome but a lot of their business practices are just brutal. I guess it IS business, but still to destroy a man's livelihood because he pulls in an extra couple of hundred bucks on UFC nights and doesn't want to pay THOUSANDS for the right to do so?
They are not awesome. They are some of the most disgusting thugs in sports today...

jaseprobst -  Stealing is stealing, and this sends the correct message. You guys can't complain about fighter purses and then complain about this as well. Besides I'm not sure but I think that establishments pay the UFC a flat fee according to fire occupancy. I don't know if it costs them anything to show it without charging people for it, but that's a good way to drum up business as well. If they were stealing liquor and selling it to customers we wouldn't see anything wrong with suing or prosecuting them, would we?

Well said...

I'm going to guess that someone tweeted to Dana:

"@Dana WhiteLOL watching free stream here @Theedgebargrillalba"

CindyO - 
Immaculata - I hope Zuffa uses that money paying their fighters more.

To pay them MORE than their contract already calls for??? They already do that, too=)

Cindy

Yes Cindy, more than their contract calls for. They only pay them more when they deem neccesary.

It's not a crime. Bar owner aint going to jail , Zuffa won't win anywhere near that. Phone Post

FedorWand - Wow, I know.......fucking shocking Labradoodle

No, our gym doesnt feel the need to support one company who pays the vast majority of their fights shit wages (after food, equipment, & paying trainers most make almost nothing)

When the UFC stops worrying about sucking as much money out of the pockets of people for their own interest & start sharing the fruits of the fighters labor with said fighters then maybe we'll pay for the product.

And paying almost a thousand dollars for 2 seats is pricing out hardcore fans.

Like I said the guy was wrong but the way ZUFFA treats its customers & seeing how there are getting fewer & fewer outlets outside of local shows its hard to feel sorry for people who have more homes than most people have rooms IN there homes.

Start paying fighters more & i might shed a tear.......

People are always slamming Zuffa for not paying more, but they pay more than EVERY OTHER PROMOTION.  I've NEVER heard anyone slamming another promotion for what they pay.  What about the promoters who promote "amateur fights" so they can avoid paying the fighters completely.

And you say Zuffa is greedy for the amount they're suing for, but nobody mentions the greed of a bar owner who owns a business and decides to break the law, avoid paying for the product just so he can make a few more bucks.  Some of the people on here would want blood if someone stole their wallet with $20 bucks in it or the stereo out of their car, but when a guy steals thousands from someone else then it's okay and the victim should just eat the loss.

Chris Power - $260,000? Basically they're trying to shut this place down for showing UFC events by just legal-feeing them to death.

Zuffa's awesome but a lot of their business practices are just brutal. I guess it IS business, but still to destroy a man's livelihood because he pulls in an extra couple of hundred bucks on UFC nights and doesn't want to pay THOUSANDS for the right to do so?

yeah, but this one story will basically scare everyone out of even trying in the future.  brutal but it works.

Pffttt...Half the bars in my town show illegal UFC events.

EvilMaster - Pffttt...Half the bars in my town show illegal UFC events.

You need to touch base with the poster on page 3 and get you $300 a pop like he was offered!

Cindy

CindyO - 
EvilMaster - Pffttt...Half the bars in my town show illegal UFC events.

You need to touch base with the poster on page 3 and get you $300 a pop like he was offered!

Cindy

If Jon Jones fighting career ever goes south, you can bet he will have a pad and pen ready to write down some names.

Not afraid to drop the dime.

My jiu jitsu gym had been having UFC get togethers at our gym. No charge..pot luck...15-20 ppl..somebody just brought a receiver and we hooked it up at the gym

We got sued for $100,000. We settled out of court.