UFC Vegas 44 results & discussion

UFC Vegas 44 kicks off at 7 pm ET with the prelims. The main card follows at 10 pm ET. The full card will air on both ESPN and ESPN+.

Main Card
Jose Aldo def. Rob Font by unanimous decision
Rafael Fiziev def. Brad Riddell by TKO, round 3
Jamahal Hill def. Jimmy Crute by KO, round 1
Clay Guida def. Leonardo Santos by submission, round 2
Chris Curtis def. Chris Curtis by TKO, round 2
Alex Morono def. Mickey Gall by unanimous decision

Preliminary Card
Dusko Todorovic def. Maki Pitolo by TKO, round 1
Manel Kape def. Zhalgas Zhumagulov by TKO, round 1
Bryan Barberena def. Darian Weeks by unanimous decision
Cheyanne Buys def. Mallory Martin by unanimous decision
William Knight def. Alonzo Menifield by unanimous decision
Claudio Puelles def. Chris Gruetzemacher by submission, round 3
Vince Morales def. Louis Smolka by KO, round 1

2 Likes

Hell yeah

I have a feeling this card will be a. banger

Seems like a meaningless card. I wish they would take the main and co main from each week and put them on a stacked monthly card.

3 Likes

If they’re good fights… who gives a fuck
About its meaning.

6 Likes

Pretty nice lineup for a free card

1 Like

I can watch good fights at my local park on the basketball court.

It’s about watching fighters I give a shit about, or at the least know a little bit about.

I don’t know how I can watch every UFC event top to bottom, every contender series, and still not know half the card week after week after week.

If it was just about “good fights” and “bangers” then KOTC / smaller promotions / Regional shows would be just as popular as the UFC.

Cable isn’t free :wink:

1 Like

Fucking Debbie downer over here

3 Likes

Enjoyable show imo. Both fights good so far. And not totally obscure guys.

1 Like

Nice kneebar finish.

2 Likes

ezgif-2-72f8bc061a41

2 Likes

Good to see an interesting sub instead of the usual real naked.

1 Like

Bad decision

I dunno. It was 1-1 going into the 3rd. Menefield might have held him against the cage, but he literally did nothing the entire time. I’m fine with him not being rewarded for stalling.

1 Like

It’s not always popular but I can’t help it, I am old school… If you need the ref to bail you out from a position, maybe you should get better at getting out of that position. MMA has some unavoidable boring spots that are simply part of the deal, but fighters shouldn’t be penalized for excelling in them and refs shouldn’t influence fights by providing unfair advantages or reprieves at their whim.

This would be like stopping Anderson Silva vs Maia in mid fight be the standup was boring and making Silva get Down on his back and have Maia resume the fight on top half guard

He did work himself out of it, granted 3 1/2 minutes later. I thought Menefield was gonna get the nod as well, but I’m not mad about them not rewarding that shit.

Edit: I responded before your edit, but my point remains. The ref didn’t break them up. He stalled for 3 1/2 minutes, then got walked down and teed off on the rest of the round. Good call IMO

1 Like

To somewhat agree with you, unless Menifield just started watching MMA a minute before the fight started, he and his coaches had to know they were playing a dangerous game by doing that.

Classic case of leaving it in the judge’s hands.

If he learns anything from this, it’s that he has to improve his fight IQ and strategy. No reason, with his technical superiority that he should’ve lost this fight tonight.

1 Like

Also, I would’ve loved to see Maia/Silva on the ground. Not in the situation you presented, but I was hoping for a little ground action in that fight.

I 100% expected him to get the win, just based on how fights are historically scored. I was just as shocked as anyone.

1 Like

Anyone else on a WMMA bathroom/food/UG Break during this amazing Wmma classic…

3 Likes