Upgrading (adding) RAM on my PC

tenchu -
Calavaro - Having 16Gb of RAM in windows 10 is good. 8Gb is passable. Anything less is not going to go well.

Adding an SSD as a OS and program drive will massively improve performance.

Make sure the new RAM is compatible with your mainboard.

Anything less than 8 GB RAM won't go well?

But Microsoft indicates the minimum requirements for Windows 10 is 1 GB for 32-bit and 2 GB for 34-bit systems. So I'd assume my original 6 GB was comfortably enough.
Minimum requirements only mean that it's possible to run windows. Not that it will run well. 4Gb of RAM and the system will feel stuttery. 6Gb of RAM and you'll be able to do basic tasks, but won't be able to multitask well at all. 8Gb and you can multitask, but not do any heavy lifting.

MMArijuana - Depends also on the motherboard. My mother's computer is super slow so I was going to get her more RAM, SSD. I looked on crucial.Com and it turns out her motherboard only supports a maximum of 4g RAM. Go on crucial.com and run to crucial system scanner to find out what you have and what you can upgrade to.

I went on crucial.com. According to it's scan, this is the info it provides about the RAM:

System specs as shipped

Maximum Memory:8GB
Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)

Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

2GB DDR PC2-6400
1GB DDR PC2-6400
2GB DDR PC2-6400
1GB DDR PC2-6400

----

So is it indicating that I can't expand beyond 8 GB?
And the four slots show the type as being DDR2?

I also found my model (HP Pavilion Elite m9425f) on the manufacturer site (HP). It states:

Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec

Memory upgrade information

- Dual channel memory architecture
- Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
- PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
- PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs [mine is 64]
Supports up to 4 GB
on 32 bit PCs
---

So I can't upgrade beyond 8 GB RAM? :(

Calavaro - 
tenchu -
Calavaro - Having 16Gb of RAM in windows 10 is good. 8Gb is passable. Anything less is not going to go well.

Adding an SSD as a OS and program drive will massively improve performance.

Make sure the new RAM is compatible with your mainboard.

Anything less than 8 GB RAM won't go well?

But Microsoft indicates the minimum requirements for Windows 10 is 1 GB for 32-bit and 2 GB for 34-bit systems. So I'd assume my original 6 GB was comfortably enough.
Minimum requirements only mean that it's possible to run windows. Not that it will run well. 4Gb of RAM and the system will feel stuttery. 6Gb of RAM and you'll be able to do basic tasks, but won't be able to multitask well at all. 8Gb and you can multitask, but not do any heavy lifting.

I hear ya. That's what I was assuming too. Makes sense.

Thanks, bud.

tenchu - 
MMArijuana - Depends also on the motherboard. My mother's computer is super slow so I was going to get her more RAM, SSD. I looked on crucial.Com and it turns out her motherboard only supports a maximum of 4g RAM. Go on crucial.com and run to crucial system scanner to find out what you have and what you can upgrade to.

I went on crucial.com. According to it's scan, this is the info it provides about the RAM:

System specs as shipped

Maximum Memory:8GB
Slots:4 (2 banks of 2)

Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory.

2GB DDR PC2-6400
1GB DDR PC2-6400
2GB DDR PC2-6400
1GB DDR PC2-6400

----

So is it indicating that I can't expand beyond 8 GB?
And the four slots show the type as being DDR2?

I also found my model (HP Pavilion Elite m9425f) on the manufacturer site (HP). It states:

Speed: PC2-6400 MB/sec

Memory upgrade information

- Dual channel memory architecture
- Four 240-pin DDR2 DIMM sockets
Supported DIMM types:
- PC2-5300 (667 MHz)
- PC2-6400 (800 MHz)
Non-ECC memory only, unbuffered
Supports 2GB DDR2 DIMMs
Supports up to 8 GB on 64 bit PCs [mine is 64]
Supports up to 4 GB
on 32 bit PCs
---

So I can't upgrade beyond 8 GB RAM? :(

Correct, 8 GB RAM is your max. I'd take the two one gigs out and see if you can find two more 2GB DDR PC2-6400, but they should be matching.

If your buddy has the same RAM, you could use his 2GB sticks.

RAM works best when it's paired with the same exact sticks of RAM*

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/pavilion-elite-m9425f/CT2411978 This RAM is compatible with your motherboard, but you'd need to spend $120 to get 8GB of new RAM.

If I were you, I'd start thinking about building a new PC. It's really not worth investing a whole lot of money into that PC.

MMArijuana - There is a 120gb version of that SSD for $56. I have one, it's highly rated on Toms hardware and a good price.

Thanks. I will keep it in mind when I take the plunge.

ram is the nick diaz of computer upgrades, save your money

tenchu - I have an 8-year-old HP Pavilion desktop with all original components:

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 2.33 GHz
6 GB RAM
NVidia GeForce graphics card
1 TB HDD

I just upgraded to 32mb for my Pentium and windows 3.11 build bro. 32 is the magic number.

tenchu - 
MMArijuana - There is a 120gb version of that SSD for $56. I have one, it's highly rated on Toms hardware and a good price.

Thanks. I will keep it in mind when I take the plunge.

It makes a world of difference.

Ask John Kavanaugh

Regarding the RAM, I might not bother spending the money to upgrade it, as some of you suggested. I'll likely only upgrade if I can get the matching RAM from my friend's computer.

I may still consider getting an SSD, though. Maybe a 250 GB to put the OS and apps on.

MMArijuana - http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/pavilion-elite-m9425f/CT2411978 This RAM is compatible with your motherboard, but you'd need to spend $120 to get 8GB of new RAM.

If I were you, I'd start thinking about building a new PC. It's really not worth investing a whole lot of money into that PC.

build an AMD ryzen 3, cpu+cooler=$169 mainboard=$75 8gb Ram=$80 total of $325 and sell the old one for like $50

100% get the SSD over ram. Obviously get both if you can swing it. Windows willhe SSD is vastly Superior to a ram upgrade in terms of raw OS performance. I would say easy 5x better in terms of impact. Spend $75 and reinstall Windows . You will be shocked by the difference it makes.

As for ram almost every manufacturer website has a tool to help you make sure it's compatible with your Mobile. Kingston's and crucial come to mind.

Cheers!

Morpheus1976 -
MMArijuana - http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/pavilion-elite-m9425f/CT2411978 This RAM is compatible with your motherboard, but you'd need to spend $120 to get 8GB of new RAM.

build an AMD ryzen 3, cpu+cooler=$169 mainboard=$75 8gb Ram=$80 total of $325 and sell the old one for like $50

Lol

beenlurking4years - 100% get the SSD over ram. Obviously get both if you can swing it. Windows willhe SSD is vastly Superior to a ram upgrade in terms of raw OS performance. I would say easy 5x better in terms of impact. Spend $75 and reinstall Windows . You will be shocked by the difference it makes.

As for ram almost every manufacturer website has a tool to help you make sure it's compatible with your Mobile. Kingston's and crucial come to mind.

Cheers!

Thanks.

How big should the SSD be, minimum ? What should go on there besides the OS?

I still plan on using the 1 TB HDD also.

tenchu - 
beenlurking4years - 100% get the SSD over ram. Obviously get both if you can swing it. Windows willhe SSD is vastly Superior to a ram upgrade in terms of raw OS performance. I would say easy 5x better in terms of impact. Spend $75 and reinstall Windows . You will be shocked by the difference it makes.

Cheers!

Thanks.

How big should the SSD be, minimum ? What should go on there besides the OS?

I still plan on using the 1 TB HDD also.

120 min but more if you can afford it

besides OS.. maybe one or two programs you use often

Big_Data - I don't know your situation, but really, I'd save up 500 dollars for a computer 100x better. Why spend money upgrading an old one like that? I'm honestly surprised it can even run Windows 10. Don't waste money upgrading an old one save up. You can make decent computers for cheeeaaapp these days

I can afford a new computer, but it'd be a shame to see this one go to waste if I could make a relatively cheap and worthwhile upgrade. I was hoping I could use the RAM from my buddy's old computer (free). An SSD seems like worthwhile to.

And I really like my pc. I've been shopping around for a new, comparable desktop with equivalent specs (RAM, SSD, dedicated graphics card) at a good price, but haven't been too impressed.

tenchu -
Big_Data - I don't know your situation, but really, I'd save up 500 dollars for a computer 100x better. Why spend money upgrading an old one like that? I'm honestly surprised it can even run Windows 10. Don't waste money upgrading an old one save up. You can make decent computers for cheeeaaapp these days

I can afford a new computer, but it'd be a shame to see this one go to waste if I could make a relatively cheap and worthwhile upgrade. I was hoping I could use the RAM from my buddy's old computer (free). An SSD seems like worthwhile to.

And I really like my pc. I've been shopping around for a new, comparable desktop with equivalent specs (RAM, SSD, dedicated graphics card) at a good price, but haven't been too impressed.

what $ do you mean with a good price?

Morpheus1976 - 
tenchu -

Well, when I got my HP Pavilion 8 years ago, for $1300 including taxes, it was great value it seems. It had 2.3 Ghz intel quad core, 6 RAM. 1 TG HDD. Dedicated graphics Monitor included. TV tuner.

I'm seeing an HP Pavilion for $900 before taxes:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-hp-pavilion-pc-intel-core-i5-6400t-6th-gen-2tb-hdd-12gb-ram-intel-hd-530-graphics-windows-10-510-p009/10440891.aspx

No monitor.
No dedicated graphics card.
No TV tuner.

A bigger HDD at 2 TB, but meh... I'm expecting some SDD nowadays.

It has 12 GB RAM - great, but only 2.2 Ghz?
It's obviously a more modern Intel chip - an i5. But only 2.2 Ghz? I'm guessing not all Ghz are equal?

It just seems I'd have to pay waaaaaaay more to get something equivalent to what I got 8 years ago.

tenchu - 
Morpheus1976 - 
tenchu -

Well, when I got my HP Pavilion 8 years ago, for $1300 including taxes, it was great value it seems. It had 2.3 Ghz intel quad core, 6 RAM. 1 TG HDD. Dedicated graphics Monitor included. TV tuner.

I'm seeing an HP Pavilion for $900 before taxes:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-hp-pavilion-pc-intel-core-i5-6400t-6th-gen-2tb-hdd-12gb-ram-intel-hd-530-graphics-windows-10-510-p009/10440891.aspx

No monitor.
No dedicated graphics card.
No TV tuner.

A bigger HDD at 2 TB, but meh... I'm expecting some SDD nowadays.

It has 12 GB RAM - great, but only 2.2 Ghz?
It's obviously a more modern Intel chip - an i5. But only 2.2 Ghz? I'm guessing not all Ghz are equal?

It just seems I'd have to pay waaaaaaay more to get something equivalent to what I got 8 years ago.

You think you like your computer now, build a new computer by yourself and you'll absolutely love your new computer.