Upgrading (adding) RAM on my PC

Your processor is almost 10 years old...upgrading the ram is not going to help you with getting better performance.

You can build a very good computer easily for $500-$600. If you want a computer that can handle modern day gaming as well, throw in another $300-$500 for a graphics card + slightly upgraded power supply.

If you want to go the route of getting a new pc, let me know and I can help you get a really good PC for a great price. I've built a few of my own pcs for myself and friends

Lots of bad advice on this thread although I didn't read it all. Don't waste money on an SSD with a computer that old. 

zFugitive -

Your processor is almost 10 years old...upgrading the ram is not going to help you with getting better performance.

You can build a very good computer easily for $500-$600. If you want a computer that can handle modern day gaming as well, throw in another $300-$500 for a graphics card + slightly upgraded power supply.

If you want to go the route of getting a new pc, let me know and I can help you get a really good PC for a great price. I've built a few of my own pcs for myself and friends

I normally build my PCs but I found a PC on amazon with an i5 and 4GB video card for $700. I looked it up on PC part picker and you can not build it yourself cheaper. The power supply is not the best brand but if it goes out in a couple years it's an easy fix. 

tenchu -
Morpheus1976 - 
tenchu -
Big_Data - I don't know your situation, but really, I'd save up 500 dollars for a computer 100x better. Why spend money upgrading an old one like that? I'm honestly surprised it can even run Windows 10. Don't waste money upgrading an old one save up. You can make decent computers for cheeeaaapp these days

I can afford a new computer, but it'd be a shame to see this one go to waste if I could make a relatively cheap and worthwhile upgrade. I was hoping I could use the RAM from my buddy's old computer (free). An SSD seems like worthwhile to.

And I really like my pc. I've been shopping around for a new, comparable desktop with equivalent specs (RAM, SSD, dedicated graphics card) at a good price, but haven't been too impressed.

what $ do you mean with a good price?

Well, when I got my HP Pavilion 8 years ago, for $1300 including taxes, it was great value it seems. It had 2.3 Ghz intel quad core, 6 RAM. 1 TG HDD. Dedicated graphics Monitor included. TV tuner.

I'm seeing an HP Pavilion for $900 before taxes:
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-hp-pavilion-pc-intel-core-i5-6400t-6th-gen-2tb-hdd-12gb-ram-intel-hd-530-graphics-windows-10-510-p009/10440891.aspx

No monitor.
No dedicated graphics card.
No TV tuner.

A bigger HDD at 2 TB, but meh... I'm expecting some SDD nowadays.

It has 12 GB RAM - great, but only 2.2 Ghz?
It's obviously a more modern Intel chip - an i5. But only 2.2 Ghz? I'm guessing not all Ghz are equal?

It just seems I'd have to pay waaaaaaay more to get something equivalent to what I got 8 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBL8BER/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

TheTurtle - 

Lots of bad advice on this thread although I didn't read it all. Don't waste money on an SSD with a computer that old. 

Why not?

zFugitive - 

I haven't really seriously thought about building my own PC.
My vision is really poor and I'd like to be able to see well enough to be able to tinker with the parts and installations.

I'd rather buy one already set up... a modern version of what I had purchased before, which was a beast.

TheTurtle - 
tenchu -
Morpheus1976 - 
tenchu -
Big_Data - I don't know your situation, but really, I'd save up 500 dollars for a computer 100x better. Why spend money upgrading an old one like that? I'm honestly surprised it can even run Windows 10. Don't waste money upgrading an old one save up. You can make decent computers for cheeeaaapp these days

I can afford a new computer, but it'd be a shame to see this one go to waste if I could make a relatively cheap and worthwhile upgrade. I was hoping I could use the RAM from my buddy's old computer (free). An SSD seems like worthwhile to.

And I really like my pc. I've been shopping around for a new, comparable desktop with equivalent specs (RAM, SSD, dedicated graphics card) at a good price, but haven't been too impressed.

Well, when I got my HP Pavilion 8 years ago, for $1300 including taxes, it was great value it seems. It had 2.3 Ghz intel quad core, 6 RAM. 1 TG HDD. Dedicated graphics Monitor included. TV tuner.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-hp-pavilion-pc-intel-core-i5-6400t-6th-gen-2tb-hdd-12gb-ram-intel-hd-530-graphics-windows-10-510-p009/10440891.aspx

No monitor.
No TV tuner.

It's obviously a more modern Intel chip - an i5. But only 2.2 Ghz? I'm guessing not all Ghz are equal?

It just seems I'd have to pay waaaaaaay more to get something equivalent to what I got 8 years ago.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NBL8BER/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Thanks.

I find it surprising that it only has 8 GB RAM - only 2 more GB than my 8 year old PC?

I'm guessing not all RAM is equal?

How much more powerful is 8GB of DDR4 RAM over 6GB of DDR2?

tenchu -
Morpheus1976 - 
tenchu -

No monitor.
No TV tuner.

you really want HP?? my advice go to the local pc shop and let them build a AMD Ryzen for like $600 and $150 for a monitor. HP has shit warranty, i worked for them

tenchu -
TheTurtle - 
tenchu -
Morpheus1976 - 
tenchu -

No monitor.
No TV tuner.

Thanks.

I find it surprising that it only has 8 GB RAM - only 2 more GB than my 8 year old PC?

I'm guessing not all RAM is equal?

How much more powerful is 8GB of DDR4 RAM over 6GB of DDR2?

Ram is not so important, unless you do video or photoshop editing. for gaming a graphic card is important and for home/office any budget PC blows your current setup out if the water.

your cpu socket LGA775 was launched by intel in 2004, that's 13 years ago.

Any help with a new laptop or speeding up some crap Dell Inspiron N5110
Your Dell Inspiron N5110
system specs as shipped

memory
Maximum Memory:8GB
Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory. 4GB Empty

storage
Storage: SATA 3 - 6Gb/s
77%
23% Free (581.42 GB Total Storage)
what does this mean?

Chipset
Chipset: Intel HM67

Just want a fast laptop with Word, dont game, but would watch streamed content, youtube etc.

carcaju - Any help with a new laptop or speeding up some crap Dell Inspiron N5110
Your Dell Inspiron N5110
system specs as shipped

memory

storage
77%
what does this mean?

Chipset

Just want a fast laptop with Word, dont game, but would watch streamed content, youtube etc.

It means you have used 77% of your storage space. Are you asking for a suggestion on a new laptop or how to speed that one up? 

edit for WRONG THREAD :)

>8 year old HP

>Windows 10

Doesn't matter what you do to this PC, since support has ended. It's going to run like shit because it won't have properly tested chipset drivers (and other drivers) that are compatible with Windows 10. Sure, you can speed it up with an SSD and RAM, but this underlying issue will always be there.

My advice? Add the SSD and RAM and revert back to the OS that is actually supported for that motherboard, which is most likely Windows 7.

tenchu -
zFugitive - 

I haven"t really seriously thought about building my own PC.
My vision is really poor and I"d like to be able to see well enough to be able to tinker with the parts and installations.

I"d rather buy one already set up... a modern version of what I had purchased before, which was a beast.

Yeah, you could always ask any friends you know that are gamers if they can put it together, or go to any local PC shop and ask them if they would put it together for you and for how much, or just look online for people who build computers as a business. It's very easy to do, so it shouldn't be difficult to find someone.

As far as ram goes, 8 GB is perfectly fine, 8 GB will not be a bottle neck for most normal use applications and even gaming. Also, if in a few years you need more you can also buy another 8 gb and just throw it in and not have to worry about it.

If you can list some of the things you use your computer to do, I can help you with building something that will work like a beast and not break your wallet.

Things like video editing, gaming, streaming, will all require some slightly beefier parts. But if you are just doing normal every day office tasks mixed in with some light gaming, than it won't cost you much at all.

TheTurtle -
zFugitive -

I normally build my PCs but I found a PC on amazon with an i5 and 4GB video card for $700. I looked it up on PC part picker and you can not build it yourself cheaper. The power supply is not the best brand but if it goes out in a couple years it's an easy fix. 

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/bukashaw/saved/QHcvK8

You can get windows OS for 20$ from kinguin.net which is where I go for all my custom builds.

For sure that is well priced however, so not taking anything away from that listing, and for a person like this, I could probably recommend it. However, I could not recommend this for anybody who is a gamer...and if you are buying a pc with a rx 480 in it, you probably want to game. That cpu is not overclockable and it's only 3 GHZ, for $200. I'd rather spend a little bit more($20-$40) in that area to get something that will give me a much better increase in gaming performance. Also the CPU cooler on that is stock, which is also a no-go for gaming. It's also lacking a SSD. I'd rather have a 500 GB SSD than a 1 tb HDD if I had to choose one or the other...obviously having both would be ideal.

Bro.. Upgrade everything. Hell even a FX series system will be an amazing upgrade for you. 

TheTurtle - 
carcaju - Any help with a new laptop or speeding up some crap Dell Inspiron N5110
Your Dell Inspiron N5110
system specs as shipped

memory

storage
77%
what does this mean?

Chipset

It means you have used 77% of your storage space. Are you asking for a suggestion on a new laptop or how to speed that one up? 

Either speeding this one up or a breakdown on what I could buy and cost of buying it. Not really in a position to drop much money on one at the moment, so wondering if it is possible to just improve this one's speed.

carcaju -
TheTurtle - 
Your Dell Inspiron N5110
system specs as shipped

memory

storage
77%
what does this mean?

Chipset

Either speeding this one up or a breakdown on what I could buy and cost of buying it. Not really in a position to drop much money on one at the moment, so wondering if it is possible to just improve this one's speed.

on which game/app your are expiercing speed issues?

Morpheus1976 - 
carcaju -
TheTurtle - 
Your Dell Inspiron N5110
system specs as shipped

memory

storage
77%
what does this mean?

Chipset

on which game/app your are expiercing speed issues?

just around buffering with streams, slow processing when switching between multiple windows open etc.

zFugitive - 
tenchu -
zFugitive - 

I haven"t really seriously thought about building my own PC.
My vision is really poor and I"d like to be able to see well enough to be able to tinker with the parts and installations.

I"d rather buy one already set up... a modern version of what I had purchased before, which was a beast.

Yeah, you could always ask any friends you know that are gamers if they can put it together, or go to any local PC shop and ask them if they would put it together for you and for how much, or just look online for people who build computers as a business. It's very easy to do, so it shouldn't be difficult to find someone.

As far as ram goes, 8 GB is perfectly fine, 8 GB will not be a bottle neck for most normal use applications and even gaming. Also, if in a few years you need more you can also buy another 8 gb and just throw it in and not have to worry about it.

If you can list some of the things you use your computer to do, I can help you with building something that will work like a beast and not break your wallet.

Things like video editing, gaming, streaming, will all require some slightly beefier parts. But if you are just doing normal every day office tasks mixed in with some light gaming, than it won't cost you much at all.

I'll get my buddy to add in the extra 2 GB of RAM. That's the limit according to HP site and Crucial.com.

I'm just using for everyday stuff, like web surfing, word processing, listening to podcasts, playing music (MP3's via Windows Media Player), scanning docs, and streaming video (YouTube, FightPass, casting to my TV via Chromecast). But of course multi-tasking/multi tabs start slowing things down a bit.

I'm also thinking about All-In-One desktops, but not sure how I feel about a spinning HDD connected to a screen.