Upgrading (adding) RAM on my PC

This is a nice start, you can always upgrade to your specs.

$500 AMD Ryzen 5 Gaming PC Build | $500 Budget PC 2017

carcaju -
Morpheus1976 - 
carcaju -
TheTurtle - 
carcaju - Any help with a new laptop or speeding up some crap Dell Inspiron N5110
Your Dell Inspiron N5110
system specs as shipped

memory
Maximum Memory:8GB
Slots:2 (2 banks of 1)
*Not to exceed manufacturer supported memory. 4GB Empty

storage
Storage: SATA 3 - 6Gb/s
77%
23% Free (581.42 GB Total Storage)
what does this mean?

Chipset
Chipset: Intel HM67

Just want a fast laptop with Word, dont game, but would watch streamed content, youtube etc.

It means you have used 77% of your storage space. Are you asking for a suggestion on a new laptop or how to speed that one up? 

Either speeding this one up or a breakdown on what I could buy and cost of buying it. Not really in a position to drop much money on one at the moment, so wondering if it is possible to just improve this one's speed.

on which game/app your are expiercing speed issues?

just around buffering with streams, slow processing when switching between multiple windows open etc.

download Process Explorer to find out the bottlenecks: CPU, RAM or diskque

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/processexplorer.aspx

Don't know what I am looking for

Don't upgrade to a new system right now.  The lower end Ryzen processors don't come out till later in the year.  Once those are out the pricing landscape on hardware will shift, hopefully signifiacntly downward.  Intel will also have to respond, so if the Ryzen claims are true and they sell a lot of processors, intel will price correct to compete or release some kind of bombshell themselves.  If you're frugal, the mid/lower tier ryzen chips will have the best bang for the buck.  You can easily pick up a good ssd for under $100, and that will improve your system more than almost anything on the market and will still be usable on a full rebuild if you go that way later.  But it's worth reading reaviews and getting a good ssd, because there are some shit drives out there.  I'd suggest skipping anything from OCZ.  

Also Windows 10 is fine for a lower end system, it scales well and handles ssd's better than older versions of windows and will extend the life of the drive.  If you're on an older version of windows, make sure that the SSD is the only drive connected to the system when you install windows on it.  There's this annoying issue sometimes where it takes forever for the system to boot if you install windows on an SSD while other harddrives are attached to the system.  To give you an idea of how fast windows loads on an ssd, you can do a full reboot faster than some systems wake up from sleep.  I run a media server on my system and I can reboot so fast that none of the streams get interrupted if they're playing while I stream.

tenchu -
zFugitive - 
tenchu -
zFugitive - 

Your processor is almost 10 years old...upgrading the ram is not going to help you with getting better performance.

You can build a very good computer easily for $500-$600. If you want a computer that can handle modern day gaming as well, throw in another $300-$500 for a graphics card + slightly upgraded power supply.

If you want to go the route of getting a new pc, let me know and I can help you get a really good PC for a great price. I've built a few of my own pcs for myself and friends

I haven"t really seriously thought about building my own PC.
My vision is really poor and I"d like to be able to see well enough to be able to tinker with the parts and installations.

I"d rather buy one already set up... a modern version of what I had purchased before, which was a beast.

Yeah, you could always ask any friends you know that are gamers if they can put it together, or go to any local PC shop and ask them if they would put it together for you and for how much, or just look online for people who build computers as a business. It's very easy to do, so it shouldn't be difficult to find someone.

As far as ram goes, 8 GB is perfectly fine, 8 GB will not be a bottle neck for most normal use applications and even gaming. Also, if in a few years you need more you can also buy another 8 gb and just throw it in and not have to worry about it.

If you can list some of the things you use your computer to do, I can help you with building something that will work like a beast and not break your wallet.

Things like video editing, gaming, streaming, will all require some slightly beefier parts. But if you are just doing normal every day office tasks mixed in with some light gaming, than it won't cost you much at all.

I'll get my buddy to add in the extra 2 GB of RAM. That's the limit according to HP site and Crucial.com.

I'm just using for everyday stuff, like web surfing, word processing, listening to podcasts, playing music (MP3's via Windows Media Player), scanning docs, and streaming video (YouTube, FightPass, casting to my TV via Chromecast). But of course multi-tasking/multi tabs start slowing things down a bit.

I'm also thinking about All-In-One desktops, but not sure how I feel about a spinning HDD connected to a screen.

I went ahead and made a little build up for you.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/bukashaw/saved/699LkL

You can grab a windows 10 key here for $30.

https://www.kinguin.net/category/22175/windows-10-home-oem-key/

This is the latest CPU that has been made, it was released today actually, so it should last you a long time without any issues of slowing down. I would suggest replacing the G.Skill Ripjaws ram with G.Skill Flare X ram if you were to go forward and actually buy this computer, as the Flare X ram is more specifically suited for AMD processors, but it was not listed on this website as it is also relatively new. The specs will be the same for it. 2 sticks 4 GB each at 2400 hz, should also be same price.

This thing will be a huge upgrade from what you currently have. Reboot times of 10-20 seconds, open as many tabs/programs as you want with little to no slow down.

zFugitive -
tenchu -
zFugitive - 
tenchu -
zFugitive - 

Your processor is almost 10 years old...upgrading the ram is not going to help you with getting better performance.

You can build a very good computer easily for $500-$600. If you want a computer that can handle modern day gaming as well, throw in another $300-$500 for a graphics card + slightly upgraded power supply.

If you want to go the route of getting a new pc, let me know and I can help you get a really good PC for a great price. I've built a few of my own pcs for myself and friends

My vision is really poor and I"d like to be able to see well enough to be able to tinker with the parts and installations.

I"d rather buy one already set up... a modern version of what I had purchased before, which was a beast.

Yeah, you could always ask any friends you know that are gamers if they can put it together, or go to any local PC shop and ask them if they would put it together for you and for how much, or just look online for people who build computers as a business. It's very easy to do, so it shouldn't be difficult to find someone.

As far as ram goes, 8 GB is perfectly fine, 8 GB will not be a bottle neck for most normal use applications and even gaming. Also, if in a few years you need more you can also buy another 8 gb and just throw it in and not have to worry about it.

If you can list some of the things you use your computer to do, I can help you with building something that will work like a beast and not break your wallet.

Things like video editing, gaming, streaming, will all require some slightly beefier parts. But if you are just doing normal every day office tasks mixed in with some light gaming, than it won't cost you much at all.

I'll get my buddy to add in the extra 2 GB of RAM. That's the limit according to HP site and Crucial.com.

I'm just using for everyday stuff, like web surfing, word processing, listening to podcasts, playing music (MP3's via Windows Media Player), scanning docs, and streaming video (YouTube, FightPass, casting to my TV via Chromecast). But of course multi-tasking/multi tabs start slowing things down a bit.

I'm also thinking about All-In-One desktops, but not sure how I feel about a spinning HDD connected to a screen.

This is the latest CPU that has been made, it was released today actually, so it should last you a long time without any issues of slowing down. I would suggest replacing the G.Skill Ripjaws ram with G.Skill Flare X ram if you were to go forward and actually buy this computer, as the Flare X ram is more specifically suited for AMD processors, but it was not listed on this website as it is also relatively new. The specs will be the same for it. 2 sticks 4 GB each at 2400 hz, should also be same price.

This thing will be a huge upgrade from what you currently have. Reboot times of 10-20 seconds, open as many tabs/programs as you want with little to no slow down.

excellent start.

2gb on top of that old ass motherboard won't really do much by itself.

You may headbutt that antique desk it sits on a little less in high load situations. A little less.

time traveling 12er - 

Don't upgrade to a new system right now.  The lower end Ryzen processors don't come out till later in the year.  Once those are out the pricing landscape on hardware will shift, hopefully signifiacntly downward.  Intel will also have to respond, so if the Ryzen claims are true and they sell a lot of processors, intel will price correct to compete or release some kind of bombshell themselves.  If you're frugal, the mid/lower tier ryzen chips will have the best bang for the buck.  You can easily pick up a good ssd for under $100, and that will improve your system more than almost anything on the market and will still be usable on a full rebuild if you go that way later.  But it's worth reading reaviews and getting a good ssd, because there are some shit drives out there.  I'd suggest skipping anything from OCZ.  

Also Windows 10 is fine for a lower end system, it scales well and handles ssd's better than older versions of windows and will extend the life of the drive.  If you're on an older version of windows, make sure that the SSD is the only drive connected to the system when you install windows on it.  There's this annoying issue sometimes where it takes forever for the system to boot if you install windows on an SSD while other harddrives are attached to the system.  To give you an idea of how fast windows loads on an ssd, you can do a full reboot faster than some systems wake up from sleep.  I run a media server on my system and I can reboot so fast that none of the streams get interrupted if they're playing while I stream.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, and I've heard the new Ryzen chips are supposed to be pretty impressive.

I'm running Windows 10, so hopefully an SSD and HDD don't result in the slow-down you mention.

zFugitive - 
tenchu -
zFugitive - 
tenchu -
zFugitive - 

Nice. Thanks.

I'm going to use this as a guide.

0hi0direct - 2gb on top of that old ass motherboard won't really do much by itself.

You may headbutt that antique desk it sits on a little less in high load situations. A little less.

Over all, this. Just stop being a cheap fuck and upgrade. 

So I added the 2 extra GB of RAM (bringing it from 6 to 8).

The computer is not any faster, as some here expected.

In fact, I thought maybe it was a bit slower at first, but that might be in my head. The RAM I installed is the same type already in there (DDR2 6400).

Performance tab in Task Manager appears to indicate it registers the 8 GB:

In use: 1.3 GB
Available: 6.6 GB

tenchu - So I added the 2 extra GB of RAM (bringing it from 6 to 8).

In fact, I thought maybe it was a bit slower at first, but that might be in my head. The RAM I installed is the same type already in there (DDR2 6400).

when's the last time you did Disk Defragmentation?

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler

As I said earlier in the thread, when adding to your RAM, you should buy? the exact model RAM as you already have in your system. It's important that the CAS latency, timings, voltage, etc is the same as well as the mhz.

Curious, what does your cpu usage look like when you're idle and also browsing, etc?

MMArijuana -

As I said earlier in the thread, when adding to your RAM, you should buy? the exact model RAM as you already have in your system. It's important that the CAS latency, timings, voltage, etc is the same as well as the mhz.

Curious, what does your cpu usage look like when you're idle and also browsing, etc?

that's only important if you wanna overclock the system.

Why bother spending $ for ram when you can just download it.

MMArijuana - 

Yes, and I obtained the RAM from my friend's computer - the same computer as mine. It had similar RAM: DDR2 6400. The brand may have been different.

How would I determine the CAS latency, timings, voltage, etc.

CPU Utilization: Fluctuates from 8% to 25%

(As per Task Manager, while idle and only Microsoft Edge browser open.)

Morpheus1976 - 

when's the last time you did Disk Defragmentation?

https://www.piriform.com/defraggler

I have not defragged since clean-installing Windows 10 about a month and a half ago. So I didn't think it was necessary yet?

I went into the Windows 10 Defragment and Optimize app. In the Schedule, it shows the it's set to optimize automatically - on a Weekly basis.

I guess it's been defragging and optimizing on a regular basis?

did u set windows 10  to not spy?

i got a solid state drive for $30 that really sped up loading programs

as far as internet speeds u r better off wired than wireless

chrome seems better for running videos than firefox

Morpheus1976 - 
MMArijuana -

that's only important if you wanna overclock the system.

If you have 1600 mhz RAM installed along side 1333 mhz RAM, your 1600 will clock down to 1333 to match the other RAM.

tenchu - 
MMArijuana - 

Yes, and I obtained the RAM from my friend's computer - the same computer as mine. It had similar RAM: DDR2 6400. The brand may have been different.

How would I determine the CAS latency, timings, voltage, etc.

CPU Utilization: Fluctuates from 8% to 25%

(As per Task Manager, while idle and only Microsoft Edge browser open.)

That sounds okay.

What's slow about your computer? Internet speed, downloading, loading pages, etc or opening apps, browsers, etc?