Usman sucked the joy out of a great event

KhabibWinsTheRematch -
Nytron -

No, Masvidal sucked the joy out of the event. There was moments in the champ rounds where both fighters were standing and Mas did less than Usman did on the feet.

Cry more noobs. Usman's fight prior to this one was more exciting than any of GSP's fights after 2006.5. One of the most exciting WW fights in history. He gets a pass.

6 days notice, Usman did his best against a formible opponent. Landed power shots all night to the body.

Usman is a phenominal fuckin MMA fighter, who actually has power and can finish people.

Great fuckin fight!

You already know this, but let me remind you. You're a complete fucking disgrace you faggot. 

Exactly.. Usman didn't do anything to Jorge and he thinks he accomplished something stalling a guy for 5 rounds and headbutting him who took it on 6 days notice.

Pride rules would've yellow carded him

1 Like

its unfortunate lots of “greats” fighters get called “boring” early in their title runs…

1. GSP was called a lay and prayer

2. Couture go the greatest sizzle ever… “Captain America”… How in the hell is this old fucker gonna keep on winning… we forgave him.

3. “Decision Dan” nuff said

4. Chael Sonnen- He realized he had to create enough anticipation to carry his lack of action outside of having a very quick level change/penetration/cut the corner on his takedowns…

5. Even the great Anderson Silva stunk it up multiple times…

I was stoned for pain management from a torn knee but I loved the fight on that level… the wrist grabbing, efficiency of positioning, game plan overcoming a very mentally tough very very game fighter with a huge heart was a great tussle… However unless you are a serious fan of the sport… It was tough to appreciate… Similar to Bernard Hopkins in boxing…

I think he will either open up or just keep crushing it executing high percentage successful gameplans unless he gets paid enough to get rewarded for excitement… thats just reality, can’t risk losing the ppv points even if he’s not selling that many of them…

Nytro must be beating the all times record for down votes

2 Likes

Usman landed an unbelievable amount of body shots. Revisionist history by UGers, as usual.

Still salty that Usman pieced up their boy Colby, and now Mas.... both Trump supporters!

Since you guys clearly didn't watch the fight, here are some gifs to clue you in: https://www.mixedmartialarts.com/ns/forums/UnderGround/UFC-251-in-Gifs-any-Gif-Requests:2835403-1/

1 Like
wiggum - 
MasterofMartialArts - 
Nytron -

No, Masvidal sucked the joy out of the event. There was moments in the champ rounds where both fighters were standing and Mas did less than Usman did on the feet.

Cry more noobs. Usman's fight prior to this one was more exciting than any of GSP's fights after 2006.5. One of the most exciting WW fights in history. He gets a pass.

6 days notice, Usman did his best against a formible opponent. Landed power shots all night to the body.

Usman is a phenominal fuckin MMA fighter, who actually has power and can finish people.

Great fuckin fight!

None of Usman’s fights have ever been more exciting than a GSP fight with the exception of Usman vs Colby. GSP at least passed guard. He landed elbows and punches. He was/is a martial artist and showed a complete game. 

Also come up with something other than “cry more noobs”

Undeniably true.

Usman is good. But, he is Jake Shields level boring.

Didn’t Usman beat down Woodley pretty good? RDA as well? From what I recall from the Woodley fight, he had Woodley in all sorts of trouble multiple times. Not sure how close to a stoppage he was but Woodley was def in bad spots more than once.

Also, I don’t think people are giving Jorge’s defense enough credit on the ground. Usman had side control and went for the crucifix, Jorge got out. Usman went for mount, Jorge transitioned out. Usman may not be the most exciting guy on the ground but he did go for the dominant positions, he just wasn’t able to get em vs a guy Demian Maia called the best BJJ or ground fighter he’d fought or something to that extent. Didn’t see that fight but guessing Maia was talking about Jorge’s defensive abilities.

1 Like
RUSRedDevil - its unfortunate lots of "greats" fighters get called "boring" early in their title runs...
  1. GSP was called a lay and prayer

2. Couture go the greatest sizzle ever… “Captain America”… How in the hell is this old fucker gonna keep on winning… we forgave him.

3. “Decision Dan” nuff said

4. Chael Sonnen- He realized he had to create enough anticipation to carry his lack of action outside of having a very quick level change/penetration/cut the corner on his takedowns…

5. Even the great Anderson Silva stunk it up multiple times…

I was stoned for pain management from a torn knee but I loved the fight on that level… the wrist grabbing, efficiency of positioning, game plan overcoming a very mentally tough very very game fighter with a huge heart was a great tussle… However unless you are a serious fan of the sport… It was tough to appreciate… Similar to Bernard Hopkins in boxing…

I think he will either open up or just keep crushing it executing high percentage successful gameplans unless he gets paid enough to get rewarded for excitement… thats just reality, can’t risk losing the ppv points even if he’s not selling that many of them…

I would have liked to have seen Usman able to do more in the clinch and on the ground but lets not forget that some people thought Jorge might have the advantage in the clinch and that Demian Maia remarked that Jorge has been the best BJJ or ground fighter he has fought in MMA. Maybe that’s hyperbole but perhaps a reference to how good Jorge’s defense was. Lets not forget Maia absolutely smashed Gunnar Nelson on the ground.

Also, Usman had some really good transitions into tds and some sick td counters off Jorge’s attacks. Sure he wasn’t able to do much with the tds but I also credit Jorge’s defense as noted.

I think people were just so hyped on the so-called Baptism talk that they are a bit salty about this. Yeah, it killed the hype but it takes skill to kill the hype of Masvidal, Woodley, Colby…not the greatest fan of the guy but have to give credit where its due…and lets not forget that Mas was already training for the champ…the champ was training for a completely different fighter and had everything to lose by taking an opponent switch…probably the most dangerous one in the division…he also had to switch camps when it ended up not even being necessary in the end.

Not the most exciting but lets give the guy some fucking credit.

1 Like
sillyscreenname - 
D241 -

It pains me to say this, but the issues is more with the ruleset than it is with Usman. 

The rules, allow for a "fighter" to negate the fight aspects of a fight, if they are good enough to clinch, hold them in the clinch, and/or take them down and hold them down. 

That is within the rules, but do we fight fans consider that fighting, or stalling? 

It's delaying the fight.  There will be times when you clinch up, whether standing or on the ground, but those moments of no activity should not last long.  There will be battles of position, but 1 of 2 things needs to happen.

Position needs to be established.  If not, referee's should at the very least, be more vocal in warning fighters he's about to separate.  If a fighter has underhooks and isn't doing anything, that fighter will more than likely have incentive to use his underhooks to move to a better position. 

If you get position, then start mounting an offense. If you are in side control, your mission is no longer to keep him there, your mission is to fight.  Strike, and/or go for the submission.  Holding someone down, while that might be effective, it's more holding than it is fighting. 

Another issue is that the best weapons a wrestler could use to finish fights quickly, headbutts and knees to a downed opponent, are not allowed. It's really nonsense to call it Ultimate Fighting and then forbid the most dominant martial art in the world to finish fights easily despite constantly being in perfect position to do so.

That is a fair point. 

I am a big advocate of head butts.  They are practical. 

I really wish fans, moreso promotions, would make a push to the athletic commissions to allow for them.  If you recall, the only reason headbutts are not allowed is because it was a rule they removed way back in the day(mid 90's) to help sanction the sport.  

MMA/Cage Fighting was very taboo in the 90's so to try to remove the image of mma being brutal, they removed headbutts. 

I mean seriously, ban headbutts b/c they are too brutal, yet we are allowed to get shit like this-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvxI8mIysMI

pidgey - 

Nytro must be beating the all times record for down votes

I took an iq test last week. 

A few days ago(post iq test), I engaged with this "Nytron" character.

I took the iq test the very next day after engaging with Nytron, I got 20 points lower than I did the first time. 

Trust me, put that guy on ignore, his opinions on anything is absolutely useless. 

3 Likes
ShortElbowInTheClinch - 
Nytron -

Great fuckin fight!

Fuuuuuck you.  You're a shit poster on both sides of this site.  

"Cry more noobs"?   What a fucking insufferable clown twat you are. 

I made the mistake of having a conversation witih him.  It turns out, we both are dummies.  He's one of if not this site's worst poster, but shame on me for not recognizing that faster and talking with him as much as I did.  That guy is a huge loser.

1 Like
Morgz - 

I’m not a huge fan of game planning victories that arnt too exciting, but what do you expect Marty to do? I think in his eyes it’s win first, entertain second. Ideally we would get both, but when you are fighting someone as dangerous as Jorge (or anyone at this elite level) you gotta do what is necessary to win when you are champ. I didn’t like it when GSP did it either, but I understand it. At the end of the day, the best way to end that is for someone to be good enough to beat it. 

What are your thoughts on my post on page 1?

RJJH - 
Forssberg -

The referee killed the fight. Foot stomps are not meaningful action

he threw more footstomps than any other strike. that is comically pathetic.

me and my friends used to make fun of footstomps calling them our "go to move" to get laughs amongst ourselves.

this was the first fight I had ever watched of Usman's. he lost my interest for life.

This might one of those times you say something that isn't true but it sounds like it could be true so you say it, but did Usman really throw more foot stomps than he did any other strike or was that just hyperbole?

3 Likes

Marty showed everyone what would have happened to Mas had he not landed the hail mary knee on Askren. 

1 Like
Looney Ronulan Paultard - 

Marty showed everyone what would have happened to Mas had he not landed the hail mary knee on Askren. 

Does this mean if Jorge would have attempted a flying knee, Usman would be knocked out in the first 10 seconds?

Looney Ronulan Paultard - 

Calling that knee a “hail mary” would only make sense if it happened at the end of the fight.

Further, even if the opening knee didn’t land, it’s highly unlikely Askren would have just clinched and footstomped Jorge the entire fight. Askren wasn’t known for either his clinch or his footstomping.

1 Like
Nytron -

Great fuckin fight!

Lol @ 62 downvotes and one upvote.  You suck 

1 Like
46and2 -
Nytron -

Great fuckin fight!

Lol @ 62 downvotes and one upvote.  You suck 

Lol 

1 Like

If every fight was fought like that one , there wouldn’t be MMA anymore. Nobody would watch that boring shit. 

There are two kinds of MMA fighters. 

1.) The ones who want to put on a fight and are always going for the finish. 

2.) The ones who try to stop the other one from fighting. (Usman, Woodley and sometimes Khabib) , This type of fighter is mainly concerned with stopping combat from happening. 

They think that stopping combat is a win. And with these rules in place, they usually get the win without any damage done at all. To either man.  That to me, is bullshit.  Fucker stole our money. 

2 Likes

![](upload://q6UztKG5eMmd2V0X5jrFHe8lpP3.jpeg)

2 Likes

If you are just watching the sport with nothing on the line it would be boring. 

if you put your whole betting account on Usman because you knew it would be an easy win at -235 odds and Masvidal came out looking strong then it was a very exciting fight. Maybe you should get some skin in the game next time to better enjoy boring fights

Nytron -

Great fuckin fight!

You calling him a noob is funny based on the fact that your statements shows you know nothing about the sport. Jorge did little in those late rounds you mentioned because he had to be ready to defend the take down or the clinch. He know if he let his hands go at all he would be taken down and he had to really pick his spots. Learn something. Noob.