Ustream Taps Out, Gives Pirate IP Addres

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/ustream_taps_out_gives_pirate_ip_addresses_ufc

08/02/2010

We recently told you about the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) attempting to get IP addresses of suspected pirates from Ustream and Juntin.tv. UFC's parent company Zuffa LLC claimed that several IP addresses were streaming pay-per-view UFC content to tens of thousands of individuals. Zuffa is only pursuing those accused of streaming the content, not the viewers. Today, Ustream has announced that they have complied with the subpoena and handed over the IP addresses.

Ustream has gone a step further by updating their video monitoring tools to take down copyrighted content more quickly. Zuffa's CEO, Lorenzo Fertitta seemed to make it clear in recent House Judiciary Committee testimony that they would be pursuing this matter aggressively. He claimed in his testimony that UFC was losing "tens of millions" because of these streams. Maybe fuzzy math, but Ustream took them seriously. Juntin.tv has not said if they complied with the order as of yet.

Do you think Zuffa should be going after the streamers like this, or is there another way?

If I had my own company and people were sneaking in to steal my product to give it away for free, would I not want to prosecute those who did the stealing?

Let 'em fry. Well, not literally.

Just another reason for the morons that keep posting stream links here to stop.

game of cat and mouse.

Ufc puts up at 5 foot wall. Pirates come back with a 6 foot ladder. etc

Digital world is different than real world.

New era, new methods for distribution. Adapt and change.

Screw you Zuffa, I'm behind seven proxies!!

.pirate.aarrrrrrrrrr.

they are not losing "tens of millions" due to streams.  Do they actually think viewers of those streams automatically translate to revenue if those streams dissapear?

Personally, I buy every single UFC event.  However, there are some overseas events that are occasionally available ONLY by web stream, and I have been fortunate to watch those.  However, take those web streams away, and that in no way means I am suddenly going to go purchase a PPV of that event.  I just won't see the friggin event.

How in the world this translates to "lost revenue" is a mystery to me. 

I can't see too many streamers being stupid enough to get caught this way

Good for the UFC. They are the ones spending the money to pay the fighters, and they deserve compensation if people are going to enjoy their product.

Morgz -  they are not losing "tens of millions" due to streams.  Do they actually think viewers of those streams automatically translate to revenue if those streams dissapear?

Personally, I buy every single UFC event.  However, there are some overseas events that are occasionally available ONLY by web stream, and I have been fortunate to watch those.  However, take those web streams away, and that in no way means I am suddenly going to go purchase a PPV of that event.  I just won't see the friggin event.

LOL, that's like saying when someone steals a product from a store the store didn't acutally lose anything, cause the person stealing the pants wasn't going to buy them anyway.  Stealing a product is stealing.  Not to mention in this case there are a lot of people who don't buy becuause they know they can get it for free, but would buy it if there was no other way so even if you only count that %, I am sure it is still several millions of $'s.

FrateTrane_MaimedShane - Screw you Zuffa, I'm behind seven proxies!!

The proxy companies are required by law to maintain records and turn over info in a court case.

ROFL @ losing 10s of millions.

bismanfightclub - 
Morgz -  they are not losing "tens of millions" due to streams.  Do they actually think viewers of those streams automatically translate to revenue if those streams dissapear?

LOL, that's like saying when someone steals a product from a store the store didn't acutally lose anything, cause the person stealing the pants wasn't going to buy them anyway.  Stealing a product is stealing.  Not to mention in this case there are a lot of people who don't buy becuause they know they can get it for free, but would buy it if there was no other way so even if you only count that %, I am sure it is still several millions of $'s.

It's not the same. It's closer to making a copy of music back when cassette tapes were used. The quality is completely degraded. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's not the same. People who would sit in front of low quality video on a small screen and have to keep finding a new stream every time theirs gets shut down all the while their 60" big screen is showing "So you think you can dance"....they're probably not going to get the ppv anyways.

The streams and vids are actually doing quite a bit of good for the popularity of the sport overall. I think the NHL is actually killing itself by moving away from network to these premium package channels over the yrs.

So does this mean anyone who was WATCHED one of the UFC's on either site is going to potentially get sued??

Drmmr

mrgoodarmbar - 
bismanfightclub - 

It's not the same. It's closer to making a copy of music back when cassette tapes were used. The quality is completely degraded. I'm not saying it's right, just that it's not the same. People who would sit in front of low quality video on a small screen and have to keep finding a new stream every time theirs gets shut down all the while their 60" big screen is showing "So you think you can dance"....they're probably not going to get the ppv anyways.

The streams and vids are actually doing quite a bit of good for the popularity of the sport overall. I think the NHL is actually killing itself by moving away from network to these premium package channels over the yrs.

It's stealing, you can try to justify it in your own mind however you want, but it is stealing.  You are stealing the UFC's product no differently than if you shoplifted a product from wal-mart, you may feel cause you can do it from inside your house that you are not stealing, but you are.

bismanfightclub - 

LOL, that's like saying when someone steals a product from a store the store didn't acutally lose anything, cause the person stealing the pants wasn't going to buy them anyway.  Stealing a product is stealing.  

No it isn't the same.  Yes, stealing is stealing, and I agree with you on that point, but to think 5 people watching streamed events translates to 49.95 x 5  in lost sales is just not accurate.    Same thing with the jeans.  If the people don't steal them, that doesn't mean they automatically are sold. 

drmmr - So does this mean anyone who was WATCHED one of the UFC's on either site is going to potentially get sued??

Drmmr

No, I believe they are just looking for the people that put the streams up.

Morgz - 
bismanfightclub - 

LOL, that's like saying when someone steals a product from a store the store didn't acutally lose anything, cause the person stealing the pants wasn't going to buy them anyway.  Stealing a product is stealing.  

No it isn't the same.  Yes, stealing is stealing, and I agree with you on that point, but to think 5 people watching streamed events translates to 49.95 x 5  in lost sales is just not accurate.    Same thing with the jeans.  If the people don't steal them, that doesn't mean they automatically are sold. 

Only problem is, those 5 people ARE stealing, just like if they stole 5 pairs of jeans from a store.  Even with your flawed logic that nobody who watches on streams would buy the PPV if the streams were shut down doesn't mean they aren't in fact STEALING a product of value from a company.

bismanfightclub - It's stealing, you can try to justify it in your own mind however you want, but it is stealing.   
I may need to go back and re-read more carefully, but I don't see where anyone argued that it isn't stealing.  I am just arguing that the "stealing" does not translate dollar for dollar to lost revenue like the quote in the OP says.