Valente Bros. Black Belt rolling level?

Since the Valente Brothers is a Self Defense school, basically old style Gracie Jiu Jitsu that practices striking and a lot of self defense what level does their black belts rolling at compared to a sport oriented school? Purple belt? brown belt? Is Kioto BJJ the same since they are a traditional school? Milton Regis was pretty successful in BJJ comps from Kioto though.

FWIW, there was a video posted on this forum from an in-house tournament a few years back.

The consensus was that each belt looked a little lower in skill level than what you would generally expect.

To me they looked they they just didn’t roll as much as other BJJ schools. If they had a dual meet with any randomly chosen BJJ school in a 50 mile radius of them, I’d bet on the other school without even knowing who they are.

I think they really embrace the super-soft, don’t get injured, keep sparring minimal and low intensity ethos in order to retain students. --And it works like gangbusters, business-wise, for them.

The down side is… the overall skill level of your students is going to be lower than other schools.

5 Likes

No disrespect but this gives off mcdojo vibes. Like the pressure testing looks to be about 50%.

2 Likes

Those people are cosplaying ju jitsu. Why not do aikido or some dillman no touch knockout shit?

1 Like

This is like corporatized jiu jitsu. Imo, jiu jitsu should be about skill level. In the early 2000s a jiu jitsu black belt was like a mythical thing in America. Now you can go in a gym and see black belts with purple belt level skills.

2 Likes

I thought the same thing.

Their shit is hard to watch.

2 Likes

I wonder if it’s possible to fail these tests.

edit: Well it seems it was a “challenge” and not a test. And she did not win it.

I would kick her fucking ass. She sucks

2 Likes

But Professor Valente, what is the defence to the defence?

What is going on here? He uses his left underhook to put the knife behind the guys back? That doesn’t seem practical.

1 Like

There’s no practical way to engage a motivated person wielding a knife if you’re unarmed. If you survive you’re lucky.

5 Likes

Whoa…I thought that was an arrangement of flowers on the table behind them.

It’s actually STACKS of blue, purple & brown belts.

4 Likes

You pay you pass.

Yeah, hence my mcdojo comment. It reminded me of karate school promotions.

Ive actually seen that same defense used by Combat Sambo/Military Sambo schools in Russia on other videos

2 Likes

BJJ teachers need to STOP with the crappy GJJ self-defense moves.

Replace them with better moves or just stop teaching them.

What if, God forbid, someone tries to pump a knife into the guts of your student and they die trying to do the stuff that YOU taught them.

Yeah, if someone tries to murder you with a knife, try to get them in a Hammerlock. I’m sure that will work well.

9 Likes

That’s systema and it’s nonsense.

Fat stacks!

Looks like the poinsettias in the Home Alone house, where there really wasn’t anything of value to steal in the first place.

1 Like

How do you go into work every day and defraud people? Even if it’s good money I couldn’t on principle.

Presumably that lady has drilled that knife defence many times. And still it didn’t work. I’m surprised they showed that failed move in slow motion - I didn’t slow it down for the gif.

1 Like