**Vintage BJJ pics**

Who's the Irish dude with the pipes ? Holy hell.

Judge Mental -
TakinAllFades -
Judge Mental -

I can't tell what color Ninos belt is in this picture. Can anyone tell? I think it's blue. And I know he went from blue to black in like two years, prolly from hangin out with this crowd right here.

It's Blue and Nino was taken under Ricksons wing for a couple of years from what I heard. Rickson really liked him

i'd like to hear that story, Rickson had the place on pico and nino was at barra so how'd that work? i remember reading he went to Rickson's house to train in 2000, before he had the fight with johil in pride.

de braco -
Judge Mental -
TakinAllFades -
Judge Mental -

I can't tell what color Ninos belt is in this picture. Can anyone tell? I think it's blue. And I know he went from blue to black in like two years, prolly from hangin out with this crowd right here.

It's Blue and Nino was taken under Ricksons wing for a couple of years from what I heard. Rickson really liked him

i'd like to hear that story, Rickson had the place on pico and nino was at barra so how'd that work? i remember reading he went to Rickson's house to train in 2000, before he had the fight with johil in pride.

I assume he means before rickson came to the states but I still can't picture it. Nino started with marcelo Behring until blue belt or maybe not even and then went to gracie barra and went from blue to black in less then three years. I know he actually trained mostly under Carlinhos and renzo.  He's a carlos jr black belt but there's a lot of his black belts that didn't even really train under him, nino says he actually did as the machados went to America already. Now he gets his degrees from Gordo.

i can't imagine rickson being to into Ninos style but maybe he was ill find out.

de braco -
Judge Mental -
TakinAllFades -
Judge Mental -

I have that Pride on DVD, Nino destroys Olivera. I remember Johil being a Luta livre fighter and thinking ten years ago this match would have been epic!

Nino used to be called Rickson the 2nd. Rickson said nino may surpass him technically, but lacks the special knowledge from god

de braco -

Nino used to be called Rickson the 2nd. Rickson said nino may surpass him technically, but lacks the special knowledge from god

Well then I'm doomed.  I also lack special knowledge from god.

de braco -

rickson stuff is the best

This is from an interview on GTR, 2001-9-9 by Kondo Takao and translated by Kondo Yoko

"He didn't even know that Nino Schembri, whom Rickson invited to his house and trained together with last summer, entered Pride 14 (in Yokohama Arena on May 27). He must have spent the days here when was really isolated from his own fight plan. We watched the video tape of the fight together in which that Nino fought with another Brazilian fighter named Johil Oliveira. Nino enters the ring in a Elvis Presley costume. When it came out on the screen, Rickson smiled. "He likes Elvis. Interesting guy!" The fight starts. He looked calmer than when he watched the fight between Sakuraba and Silva. Time was 7 minutes and 17 seconds. Nino won by a perfect arm-lock.  It was his debut match as a professional, but he is well-known in the jiu-jitsu world. It seems that he is called "Rickson II" by some people, because he actively aims at finalization, not a win by decision. 

When I talked about it to Rickson, he said in a quiet tone. " He is a technician, and has a good sense too. He might surpass me in terms of elements. There is possibility for that. But it can be said not only about Nino but also other fighters too."

Q: What are the elements for a great fighter?

Rickson: Technique is necessary. But only technique is not enough. Spirit is necessary. It is also important to make the technique fostered by jiu-jitsu unite with Vale Tudo well. And it is not all. There are many things more we still have to learn. One can not learn everything in one-time life. But fortunately I could possess a lot of things necessary to fights so far in my life.  Vision of fighting, technique of Vale Tudo, and ability to control both mental and physical aspects. It is very difficult to learn them in one-time life. I like Nino, and I want to see more of his victories. He is 26 years old now.  But I don't think he can learn everything what I possessed in the rest of his life. I got a special gift from God. It was not my brothers or anyone else in the Gracie family, but me who got a gift. And it is not something I got because I wanted, but it was given to me by God. That's why I could learn so many things in one-time life. As a result, I can read the intention of my opponent, and can unite well my confidence with my killer instinct in a fight. This is not what you can possess in 20-years or so of your life. I don't think I am best. Many fighters have a possibility to be far ahead of me. But it is very difficult. Of course I am not God, but I appreciate God for giving me a gift."

de braco - 

The only person we know of for a FACT who has "special knowledge from god" is Roland Sarria who is well know to have recieved his black belt from Jesus Christ.

Pretty sure Rickson just got his from Helio.

I'd love to train with Draculino one day. I could and do watch him teach for hours..

shen - 
de braco - 

The only person we know of for a FACT who has "special knowledge from god" is Roland Sarria who is well know to have recieved his black belt from Jesus Christ.

Speaking of. He went against Margarida and the story I heard was Margarida toyed with him and went like 300 and then finally tapped him.

He tells a different story ive heard of giving Margarida a war.

Anyone have this video?

shen -
de braco - 

there can be only one

View post on imgur.com

de braco -

This is from an interview on GTR, 2001-9-9 by Kondo Takao and translated by Kondo Yoko

"He didn't even know that Nino Schembri, whom Rickson invited to his house and trained together with last summer, entered Pride 14 (in Yokohama Arena on May 27). He must have spent the days here when was really isolated from his own fight plan. We watched the video tape of the fight together in which that Nino fought with another Brazilian fighter named Johil Oliveira. Nino enters the ring in a Elvis Presley costume. When it came out on the screen, Rickson smiled. "He likes Elvis. Interesting guy!" The fight starts. He looked calmer than when he watched the fight between Sakuraba and Silva. Time was 7 minutes and 17 seconds. Nino won by a perfect arm-lock.  It was his debut match as a professional, but he is well-known in the jiu-jitsu world. It seems that he is called "Rickson II" by some people, because he actively aims at finalization, not a win by decision. 

When I talked about it to Rickson, he said in a quiet tone. " He is a technician, and has a good sense too. He might surpass me in terms of elements. There is possibility for that. But it can be said not only about Nino but also other fighters too."

Q: What are the elements for a great fighter?

Rickson: Technique is necessary. But only technique is not enough. Spirit is necessary. It is also important to make the technique fostered by jiu-jitsu unite with Vale Tudo well. And it is not all. There are many things more we still have to learn. One can not learn everything in one-time life. But fortunately I could possess a lot of things necessary to fights so far in my life.  Vision of fighting, technique of Vale Tudo, and ability to control both mental and physical aspects. It is very difficult to learn them in one-time life. I like Nino, and I want to see more of his victories. He is 26 years old now.  But I don't think he can learn everything what I possessed in the rest of his life. I got a special gift from God. It was not my brothers or anyone else in the Gracie family, but me who got a gift. And it is not something I got because I wanted, but it was given to me by God. That's why I could learn so many things in one-time life. As a result, I can read the intention of my opponent, and can unite well my confidence with my killer instinct in a fight. This is not what you can possess in 20-years or so of your life. I don't think I am best. Many fighters have a possibility to be far ahead of me. But it is very difficult. Of course I am not God, but I appreciate God for giving me a gift."

The fuckin arrogance of this guy is on a completely different level. It's one thing for his family and friends to say he has a gift from God that they didn't get and only he did but for him to say it about himself is extremely cringeworthy. I know we all gotta love rickson and all but the guys a bit much.

awesome interview tho, good find. It's interesting to hear his thoughts on nino. I thought he would have disliked Ninos style cuz the crazy stuff at the time but nino is actually big on the fundamentals and just throws the crazy stuff on top of it. Also made me think of that rickson tournament that nino won or got 2nd at maybe where at the end the interviewer asked if he wanted to fight rickson and he said no rickson was the best and his idol.

Related image

Rogers Daddy as a brown belt

Image result for carley gracie

Rose Gracie, Rorion's daughter, has some great pictures (and videos) on Instagram.

One of the biggest matches in BJJ history.  

Judge Mental - 

Related image

Thats gotta be Carlson JR in the front. Looks just like he does now except he's bald.

Relson looks like a killer.

Judge Mental - 
Judge Mental - 

Related image

Thats gotta be Carlson JR in the front. Looks just like he does now except he's bald.

Relson looks like a killer.

Who are the other 2 wearing gi's with Rolls, Rorion and Relson?

Judge Mental -

Related imageRelated imageImage result for young joe moreira

Liborio looks like an absolute beast

Amazing pic