Vitali or Wladimir?

pharochuck - You guys are working on emotion. 'Oh fighters were tougher then' 'somehow because it happened a long time ago it was better'
But you can't answer simple questions without being ridiculous. I asked who did he beat that arreola wouldn't have also beat and you make jokes like Bruno would have mauled him, knowing Bruno never won a big fight or dealt very well with big punchers. Bruno won fights where he had size and strength advantages. The few times he didn't have those advantages he was knocked out. Each time. He wouldn't have size and strength on arreola and when you look at the way Bruno threw his punches you can see where he could be countered and why he lost by knock out to every good fighter he faced.
So it's either a serious lack of boxing knowledge to claim Bruno could beat him or your just a it happened 20 years ago so it was better guy Phone Post 3.0
Troll!
Are you actually telling us that Arreola is better than Tyson and even Bruno? Phone Post 3.0

Pharochuck is correct.

Also, I am not a big fan prime Holmes never mind a faded Holmes. I know you don't agree Pharo, but Holmes was incredibly overrated. Talk about weak competition.

Holmes is the example used by anyone who want's to look like they know boxing. The most overrated "underrated" guy ever.

bricht07 -
pharochuck - You guys are working on emotion. 'Oh fighters were tougher then' 'somehow because it happened a long time ago it was better'
But you can't answer simple questions without being ridiculous. I asked who did he beat that arreola wouldn't have also beat and you make jokes like Bruno would have mauled him, knowing Bruno never won a big fight or dealt very well with big punchers. Bruno won fights where he had size and strength advantages. The few times he didn't have those advantages he was knocked out. Each time. He wouldn't have size and strength on arreola and when you look at the way Bruno threw his punches you can see where he could be countered and why he lost by knock out to every good fighter he faced.
So it's either a serious lack of boxing knowledge to claim Bruno could beat him or your just a it happened 20 years ago so it was better guy Phone Post 3.0
Troll!
Are you actually telling us that Arreola is better than Tyson and even Bruno? Phone Post 3.0
I'm done. You're twisting my words. I never said arreola was better than Tyson. But he was better than frank fucking Bruno! Phone Post 3.0

That faded version of Holmes went on to beat Ray Mercer and lasted the distance against a prime Holyfield.

All these names are better than the heavyweight scene Vitali competed in and it's not even close really.

Jesse Ferguson beat Mercer too, and going the distance with Holyfield is hardly a sign of greatness

"Not to mention that a fighter's resume consists of his performances in both wins and losses. Mike without a doubt faced the harder opposition if you take that into account"

Lennox Lewis?

Vitali's performance against Lewis was a little better than Spinks against Tyson

ShamusO'nyou - ...and going the distance with Holyfield is hardly a sign of greatness

I would agree, but it's more of a sign of greatness than anything Arreola has done to date.

pharochuck -
sczott52 -
pharochuck - Lulz. Bonecrusher smith knocked out Bruno. Bonecrusher had good power bit was very unskilled. An out of shape tim Witherspoon almost killed Bruno. You must be a younger guy and didn't actually see these fights, you can go to YouTube and see for yourself. Watch arreola fights and then watch frank Bruno fights and tell me sincerely which man you think will win Phone Post 3.0
I'm pretty sure he's gotta be trolling at this point. Phone Post 3.0
I'm trolling because I didn't think Bruno was that good? Wtf? Bruno got knocked out by bonecrusher. Bonecrusher was strong but crude and Witherspoon while a good fighter didn't live up to his full potential due to outside the ring distractions and very poor training habits and he went in there completely out of shape and embarrassed Bruno.
And I believe Adamek as a heavy was a better fighter than spinks was.
Not trolling. Spinks was 4-1 at heavy. Adamek was 11-2 at heavy.
Spinks 4-1 includes a gift in the second Holmes fight and a win over cooney who had fought 3 rounds in 5 years and a win over Stefan tangstad who was knocked out by a 10-2 fighter and won a split decision over a 7-3 fighter before his title shot. They literally had to search the globe to find a guy in Sweden with a decent looking record that spinks could beat. Adamek on the other hand fought legit heavies to build up to his shot against vitali.
I acknowledged that spinks is a legend because of his accomplishments but if you take 1987 spinks against 2011 Adamek. Adamek wins. Little bit stronger, sharper more accurate puncher and actually went in there against full size heavyweights. Spinks team angled for bogus contenders and them folded against Tyson Phone Post 3.0
Not you. The other dude. Sorry for the mix up. I agree with you for the record. Phone Post 3.0

martinburke - This subforum has really gone to shit in the past year or so. It's no better than eastside now.

What's eastside like?

i used to lurk over there, but some of it was horrific nonsense. i might start going back. need more boxing in my blood. trying to decide now if i want to be a ref or a promoter. going to make up my  mind pretty soon

Is there any good boxing forums? I haven't checked out Eastside in years. I used to like the old boxingtalk and Maxboxing. Pharochuck, I've given you shit over Arreola, but its just in fun. I just like talking boxing with anyone that actually follows the sport.

I was reading a preview article on another website for the fight tonight and they made the point that, in a historically bad heavyweight era, Arreola has yet to even beat a top contender.

That says it all right there.

Still I kind of hope he beats Stiverne anyway. The U.S. hw scene could use a boost of excitement.

Stiverne is a decent counter puncher. It'll be tough. I think Arreola gives Vlad more of a fight though. He will at least press. Stiverne would stay at the end of his jab like everyone else. Phone Post 3.0

s