Was I wrong here? BJJ etiquette Question

I've only been training in BJJ for about 6 weeks or so.  I have a bit of a background in judo and wrestling so I like to think that I'm picking it up pretty quick.

Last roll of the class, and I hook up with this blue belt.  I definitely outweighed him, but not by too much.

Anyhow, I am fortunate enough to hit a sweep and end up in side control on his right side.  I snake my left hand above his left shoulder and then under his neck.  I start moving to north south.  I don't have the choke in properly, but I am kinda face crushing with my chest and lifting under his neck so he is definitely in some pain. 

I end up getting a better choke grip and I know I have him, but he won't tap.  I keep going gradually and slowly tighter, waiting for him to tap, and he still won't.  He is also making no effort to escape.  Finally, he taps, but instead of tapping normally, he slaps me really fucking hard in the back of the neck several times.  I let him go, and he keeps hitting me. 

He gets out and starts screaming at me for 'crushing his teeth'.  The instructor came right over and gave HIM shit for acting like that.  According to everyone else, it isn't the first time this guy has pulled something like this and he was probably just pissed about being tapped by a lowly whitey like me.

Bottom line is that I still have no concept about proper BJJ etiquette.  I certainly wasn't trying to do anything wrong.... So was I wrong here?  Should I have done something differently?

PS

FRAT.

Wrong fucking forum, asshole!

...and no, the douchebag blue was out of line.

That instructor should regulate him - with a 3-5 minute roll where the fucker taps 50 times. And if he slaps once, he goes another 3-5 minutes.

no problem with it at all... legit tap..

We teach shoulder pressure at my gym to make it to where your opponent wants to tap...that blue wouldn't last at my gym when we drill that lol. He was def out of line.

Next time he mouths off, clock choke a fagit. Undastan, fren?

Thanks for the input.  Like I said, I have no idea if I was wrong here...  So points were noted.

Based on what you typed, nothing wrong with what you did. Jiu-jitsu may be the "gentle way', but that doesn't mean it has to be comfortable. Blue belt was just pissed he got caught.

Randy Marsh - no problem with it at all... legit tap..
His tap wasn't good-natured, bro.

He was quite angry and screamed at me when I let him go.

Do you have a tendency to crush people's teeth?

Are you the face crushing guy?

Eh_J - 
Randy Marsh - no problem with it at all... legit tap..
His tap wasn't good-natured, bro.

He was quite angry and screamed at me when I let him go.

Sounds like a homo bro... I am sorry you had to deal with this...

Per your version of your story and from YOUR prospective, you are in the clear.

I am a brown belt and have been training 14 years or so... You did nothing wrong.

That being said, sometimes white and even decent blues don't actually know what they are doing with their bodies and how violent their actions are.

But as was said above, he will be gunning for you.

JacT

HereWeAre -  Do you have a tendency to crush people's teeth?

What's wrong with face crushing during grappling?

JacT - Per your version of your story and from YOUR prospective, you are in the clear.

I am a brown belt and have been training 14 years or so... You did nothing wrong.

That being said, sometimes white and even decent blues don't actually know what they are doing with their bodies and how violent their actions are.

But as was said above, he will be gunning for you.

JacT
then let him come!

Next time you get a submission on him, don't let go until you hear something pop...this way, you dont have to worry about him swinging on you afterward.

And what the fuck is BJJ? THIS IS THE OG ASSHOLE!!!!!

Randy Marsh - 

It gets annoying.

I mean I get where this blue belt is coming from because I have no problem tapping to a move executed with superior technique but I hate tapping to bullshit moves like tooth smashing. 

But I would have just tapped calmly and then smashed your face right back. Maybe go knee on chin instead of belly. haha

Also some gyms just have different etiquette all together. I have walked up to Rickson and asked him to roll and he had NO problem. I was at a other school and asked the teacher if he wanted to roll and he flipped the fuck out. (both times I was very humble and had no attitude.)

Some schools (even bjj schools) all foot and ankle locks (heel hooks included) are totally cool, some are not.

Some schools you are an A hole if you ever touch someones face... some it is taught as proper technique for various moves.

Oddly enough, at my gym, heel hooks, hands and knees on the face, asking the instructor to roll are all completely acceptable.

Just be cool and learn the ropes without making too big a wave and you will be fine.

JacT

Eh_J - I've only been training in BJJ for about 6 weeks or so.  I have a bit of a background in judo and wrestling so I like to think that I'm picking it up pretty quick.

Last roll of the class, and I hook up with this blue belt.  I definitely outweighed him, but not by too much.

Anyhow, I am fortunate enough to hit a sweep and end up in side control on his right side.  I snake my left hand above his left shoulder and then under his neck.  I start moving to north south.  I don't have the choke in properly, but I am kinda face crushing with my chest and lifting under his neck so he is definitely in some pain. 

I end up getting a better choke grip and I know I have him, but he won't tap.  I keep going gradually and slowly tighter, waiting for him to tap, and he still won't.  He is also making no effort to escape.  Finally, he taps, but instead of tapping normally, he slaps me really fucking hard in the back of the neck several times.  I let him go, and he keeps hitting me. 

He gets out and starts screaming at me for 'crushing his teeth'.  The instructor came right over and gave HIM shit for acting like that.  According to everyone else, it isn't the first time this guy has pulled something like this and he was probably just pissed about being tapped by a lowly whitey like me.

Bottom line is that I still have no concept about proper BJJ etiquette.  I certainly wasn't trying to do anything wrong.... So was I wrong here?  Should I have done something differently?

PS

FRAT.

You did nothing wrong. I bet he was already upset and embarrassed when you swept him and got position. He acted like a punk it sounds like. Chrushing his teeth? Ask him where his mouthpiece is. 

He was pissed and embarrassed that he got beat by the new guy. Thats all.

I don't think I was being a fag at all you asshole. I just paid alot for these veneers that match your belt!

I only read OP but...

That is fucking retarded! At my University they had a BJJ club, but that this little disclaimer about how certain things werent allowed (i.e. neck cranks, leg locks, etc.). Fuck that shit (although I didnt have health insurance so that is the main reason I didnt train there-I didnt want to risk a broken bone and then be in debt for thousands due to medical expenses ON TOP of my student debt, but...) I think that shiz is gay as fuck.

During my grappling days (at Miletich's) I was 160ish and NEVER lifted weights (Im WAY bigger and stronger now, it would be far more fun to be grappling, but I havent since then :/), I didnt start lifting until after I quit there, so...I was one of the smallest guys there and not that strong.

I would grapple with absolute brutes (atleast compared to me at the time) that would neck crank me, shove me off if I had them mounted, etc. etc. During that time I was a HUGE fan of the ankle lock/leg locks in general and constantly went for them (mainly ankle though). Noone ever bitched about that, and only Pat once told a guy to tap because I had him in a heel hook and he was worried that he would get hurt since he was being stubborn.

Its not ballet, and if a school is going to ban (or someone gets pussy hurt) over something like a neck crank or a guy inflicting as much pain as possible (ie driving shoulder into jaw while having crossbody) given his current position, then that is ridiculous.

If you cant handle that then GTFO. You cant handle that imagine stepping into a Boxing or Muay Thai gym and being hit full contact.

My opinion though.

HereWeAre - 
Randy Marsh - 

It gets annoying.

I mean I get where this blue belt is coming from because I have no problem tapping to a move executed with superior technique but I hate tapping to bullshit moves like tooth smashing. 

But I would have just tapped calmly and then smashed your face right back. Maybe go knee on chin instead of belly. haha

If your grappling partner is constantly putting his forearm in your jaw I can see your point. I'm not sure if thats how he finished this guy or not. But if you've got a dude in over under position, exactly what kind of choke are you supposed to go for that won't rough your opponents face up? There isn't one that I know of.