Website Up! 20% Off All Knives for UG Members!

ttt

some amazing stuff there

ttt FOR A TRUE ARTIST.

ttt

Beautiful knives

DROC

Is this one still available? And do you have any hi-res pics of it?

Rumblefish - Dude--AWESOME knives. You definitley have talent. And, I love the fact that they are made out of rcycled things, like the spikes.

I'm really thinking about getting one. (I wish you woulda posted this 2 weeks ago. My sister asked me what I wanted for my b'day, and I asked for the big Gerber Infantry knife!)

Anywhoo...questions:
What type of edge would these things hold ( I LOVE knives, but know very little).

Also, what would the "Use" be for the Boxelder Croscut, the Spike 3 and 11?

And, the Sheathes...do they have a clip on the other side?

thanks!

Thanks again for the nice comments, yes they're all of high carbon steel, what knives used to be made of before stainless took over. They hold a very good edge and you can sharpen them once they need it, as opposed to stainless which is too hard to sharpen with an average sharpener and it won't hold an edge, too hard. They will rust though, all good steel does so you need to take care of it.

The crosscut/box elder is just a funky design,like many of my knives, slightly odd grip but feels good, can be used for a variety of things, a good utility knife, a great skinner.

All of my sheaths have leather belt loops,right handed, but I do have metal boot clips as well,if preferred.

As for the functions of the two spikes, most of my knives, most spikes as well aren't particuarly specialty knives as far as use goes, they're mostly good all purpose utility knives. If they have a good upsweep at the end of the blade they make great skinning knives. Just remember,unlike stainless they can't be used as screwdrivers or prybars,they're made for cutting and can be broken,like your grandfathers old knife,but not easily >:)

tjmitch - 

Is this one still available? And do you have any hi-res pics of it? 

What number is that one? A few are similar, need to make sure to photograph the right one. I'll try to get some good ones made,I get a lot of jagged lines when trying to photograph the spikes,not sure why. Send me an email at don@donsknives.com and I'll try to get some taken tonight,send them back to you. Thanks for the interest!

ttt

Great knives!

ttt

ttt

On the spike knives, are the blades made from the spike too? Or are they afixed to the spike?

Crazy Zimmerman -  On the spike knives, are the blades made from the spike too? Or are they afixed to the spike?

They're each one spike hammered out,mostly high carbon spikes,nothing else! :) I hammered/stretched one out to 12 1/4",(very skinny handle)no one would believe it was one spike,should have kept that one, need to do it again.

Awesome stuff. Even for non-rednecks. :P

Kostakio -  Awesome stuff. Even for non-rednecks. :P

LOL! Sorry,the photo on the site is for effect. I may be from the South but I've never been mistaken for being a redneck, though I do have an enviable Southern drawl-I can clean it up though,eh wot?

You must admire my blacksmith apron though,I made it from pieces of African elephant hide and PETA members...well, just elephant actually- I can't get anyone to let go of any PETA hides, dern it. Yee-haw,gotta go,time for the cock fights!..er,I mean, ah,excellent, Masterpiece Theatre shall be on in a few minutes,enough time to prepare some cheese and wine. Are we out of brie? :)

tjmitch- photos are sent!

mr nemo - 

LOL! Sorry,the photo on the site is for effect. I may be from the South but I've never been mistaken for being a redneck, though I do have an enviable Southern drawl-I can clean it up though,eh wot? 
lol I wasn't even referring to that, man. I meant the knives. Typically, I find that nerds and rednecks are into weapons (not necessarily, I know). Just a joke. :)

But seriously, I love the knives. Very cool-looking and creative. I would get one but I don't know if I can trust myself with one. lol

Yeah that is a big part of the market Kostakio but that's one thing I enjoy- giving them that artistic touch,making them unique, getting those who are normally not into collecting knives interested and taking a second look. Lots of folks carry pocket knives,I always have,but you'd be surprised how much you enjoy something really unique and hand made,knowing there isn't another one like it, especially when it's a very useful tool as well!
I look forward to someone buying one and posting their reactions upon receiving it! :) I'm confident,through plenty of previous feedback that they'll be very pleased!
Thanks for the compliments bud,and everyone else too!

Rednecks have more fun.

MORIBUND88 - 
mr nemo - Heads up everyone! Well, after much longer than I'd like to think about I've finally got my website done and as of a few hours ago I am online and in business! Check out donsknives.com (snazzy title eh?)for functional art, made with my little 4 lb hammer. I forge every blade,old USA high carbon steel exclusively,no stainless,all types of beautiful handle materials to compliment the rugged finish of the blades. I make all types of knives and now that the site is finally up new knives will constantly be added and I'm going to let my imagination go,so keep a constant eye out for more! ..and for the first 30 days, all knives will be 20% off for all UG members and members of our Armed Services abroad, so take a look and take advantage of my opening prices! Hope to do business with you soon,thanks and enjoy! -Don Bishop aka mrnemo- Bladesmith

Why only Carbon Steel?

I too make knives and I know some of the benefits of making knives from carbon steel. I however prefer tool steels and some of the high carbon stainless varieties. If I want to get really fancy I go with a nice birds eye/odins eye, or ladder damascus. I mostly use a stock removal method for these types of materials, but have also in the past forged them as well (depends on the design and requirements of the knife).

Cheers and great work.

Thanks! I like to hit the junk yards, flea markets etc and recycle old steel, love the asthetic good old rusty steel gives a knife, it's great steel. I'd like to experiment with some other steels, I've made some from tool steel, a few from damascus I bought. I'm not set up for hollow grinding and don't like to, it's too easy,really, it's like cheating or something when you learned to forge first- seems like a monkey could do it. Plus, to be honest I'm happiest when I'm swinging my hammer and shaping red hot steel. I sometimes think I'd love to just do the hammering and have someone else put on the handle, make the sheath etc but I love those parts too,I really enjoy the entire process, except hand sanding lol, but just love to hammer!
I want to try to make some damascus, cable and motorcycle chain/chainsaw chain, I like random pattern- I have bought a couple of billets in the past and made a few knives from it, very pretty but everyone is doing damascus right now,that always turns me off to something. I will make some in the future,it's very cool and especially now that the site is up, I need to try to cater to as many folks as I can and it's fun to be versitile, couldn't handle doing the same thing over and over. Thanks again!

Keep an eye on the site over the weekend folks, about to add some daggers and some more unique knives, got 16 in the works!!! >:)