Website Up! 20% Off All Knives for UG Members!

Rumblefish - ^^^Cant wait. I was gonna order one tonight, but think I'l wait til the weekend.

Any extra discounts for ordering more than one? (hey-you dont know, if you dont ask, right?)

Order more than one, free shipping within the continental US. How's that? :)

I got 7 knives tempered and drawn back tonight, put on the handles and whip out some sheaths and they'll be online! Several are file knives, and a tiny file knife I'm making into a neck knife with a cool sheath,should be on tomorrow or Sunday! I hope you like daggers too! >:)

Four more finished, ready to sheath, two are really sweet! They'll be up soon!

TTT

Daggers are up, look at the hunting section, just finished a very cool neck knife,a skeleton handle rasp knife, and another artsy saw blade knife with a pretty green jigged bone handle, going to have some fun and make a fancy sheath for it, warthog or hippo inlay! :) They'll be up soon! I've also got a 16" pry bar I've forged out,and 6 file knives that need to be handled,all will be done soon, keep looking folks!

MORIBUND88 - 
mr nemo - 
MORIBUND88 - 
mr nemo - Heads up everyone! Well, after much longer than I'd like to think about I've finally got my website done and as of a few hours ago I am online and in business! Check out donsknives.com (snazzy title eh?)for functional art, made with my little 4 lb hammer. I forge every blade,old USA high carbon steel exclusively,no stainless,all types of beautiful handle materials to compliment the rugged finish of the blades. I make all types of knives and now that the site is finally up new knives will constantly be added and I'm going to let my imagination go,so keep a constant eye out for more! ..and for the first 30 days, all knives will be 20% off for all UG members and members of our Armed Services abroad, so take a look and take advantage of my opening prices! Hope to do business with you soon,thanks and enjoy! -Don Bishop aka mrnemo- Bladesmith

Why only Carbon Steel?

I too make knives and I know some of the benefits of making knives from carbon steel. I however prefer tool steels and some of the high carbon stainless varieties. If I want to get really fancy I go with a nice birds eye/odins eye, or ladder damascus. I mostly use a stock removal method for these types of materials, but have also in the past forged them as well (depends on the design and requirements of the knife).

Cheers and great work.

Thanks! I like to hit the junk yards, flea markets etc and recycle old steel, love the asthetic good old rusty steel gives a knife, it's great steel. I'd like to experiment with some other steels, I've made some from tool steel, a few from damascus I bought. I'm not set up for hollow grinding and don't like to, it's too easy,really, it's like cheating or something when you learned to forge first- seems like a monkey could do it. Plus, to be honest I'm happiest when I'm swinging my hammer and shaping red hot steel. I sometimes think I'd love to just do the hammering and have someone else put on the handle, make the sheath etc but I love those parts too,I really enjoy the entire process, except hand sanding lol, but just love to hammer!
I want to try to make some damascus, cable and motorcycle chain/chainsaw chain, I like random pattern- I have bought a couple of billets in the past and made a few knives from it, very pretty but everyone is doing damascus right now,that always turns me off to something. I will make some in the future,it's very cool and especially now that the site is up, I need to try to cater to as many folks as I can and it's fun to be versitile, couldn't handle doing the same thing over and over. Thanks again!

If you can get your hands on it, try out old farms for harvester chains to make damascus, also heavycable is really nice to forge, just be careful of chinese steel, it usually has alot of impurities in it that really show up once forged and finished. Leaf springs are also another good source of some good carbon steel

Cheers

Hmm,I know of a farm that's being sold,have to look for some of those chains. Yep, cable yields one of my favorite damascus patterns,that's what I really want to try is cable,hammer out the blade and leave the other half as the handle, twist it up, I love those knives!

Way ahead of you on the Chinese steel,I forged out a Chinese rasp, took it through the tempering process 3 times(!) and still couldn't get even a half ass temper,complete junk steel, you can tell just by looking at it. I don't use any Asian steel,no Pakistan, all US, maybe some European, German, Sheffield from England,that's about it. I stick with what I know is quality steel.

Leaf springs are great, coil springs are actually a slightly higher quality spring steel, they're hell to hammer out,you'll feel it the next day lol, but 9260 spring steel along with L6 from the old saw blades are my favorite steels for knives. I've got a large coil spring blade ready to temper, trying to decide whether to leave it as a full tang knife with a coffin handle or cut the tang and slide it into a piece of antler or bone or something. Decisions, decisions! You can put that spring steel through hell, holds a great edge, strong as...um..steel!

Just finished 4 more, got 6 I need to handle and my (crappy-ass Made in China)band saw just died on me!!! >:( New knives will be online soon! :)

..thanks for the advice bud! Cheers!

I've heard 50/50 feedback on ATS-34, half like it, half shake their heads, haven't tried it yet. Actually I've heard that about Seki City steel but totally forgot about it. I've never ordered billets of steel from anywhere, bought a couple of damascus billets at a show,otherwise I use the good US stuff I can find cheap lol. A guy brought me 6 old German files from the 60s, still in the box, never used, I'm holding on to those for the time being, looks like great steel :)

Three more knives should be up by tomorrow and I'm going to see how many of the 6 I've got ready I can handle without a band saw to cut my handle materials,going to be tricky. The inlay sheath would have been too thick so I made it without inlay- still got artsy on it :D and a way cool hidden neck knife is ready too.

Don't know if I mentioned, I have a small supply of elephant, hippo, warthog, springbok, zebra, king cobra, rattlesnake and some other types of hides I can use for inlay on sheaths, beautiful stuff! New knives will be on soon! More to come!!!

good stuff.

MORIBUND88 - I typically use kydex or other durable hard resin type sheaths...I make tactical fixed blade knives and that type of sheath seems to suit them.

ATS-34 is a great steel, there is an american company that makes one very similar, 154CM by Crucible Metals is a good steel usually made through the Powder Metallurgy process.

What do you make your handles from, I try to go with skeleton handles, exotic woods and mostly G-10, Carbon Fibre, and other glass reinforced nylons.

Another great treasure trove for steel is OLD saw mill blades (if you can find them), that is great steel. In my opinion, I wouldn't touch those files/rasps if they are in that good of condition, those are treasures the way they are right now.

Cheers

As mentioned, the L6 in old saw mill blades is one of my favorites, the big circular blades, the wide band saw blades from mills and crosscut saws, they're hard to find around here though.

I make quite a few skeleton handles, about to post one on the site I just finished, I like them, good no nonsense handles. I really like to use natural materials for sheaths and handles, though I'd like to try some kydex -I hear you just heat it up in the oven and mold it around the knife, sounds cool- and I do use micarta for some handles. I'm completely addicted to desert ironwood though, just love it, hard as iron and as beautiful as you could want, smells like a dead skunk when sanding lol, lots of grain patterns/looks. I love bocote and cocobolo as well, maples, burls, exotic hardwoods are great, just wear that respirator! I like horn/antler handles too but I much prefer full tang knives over hidden tang. I've got a hidden tang I'm going to make soon though,entire handle nothing but spacers of brass,nickel silver and desert ironwood all the way down, will be a bit tricky but if it comes out right it will be a eye popper!

About to send info and photos on 3 more I just finished, hopefully will be up tonight! More on the way, about to try to tackle those 6 file knives and get handles on them, my kingdom for a band saw!!!!!!!

Well I'm hoping everyone is a little gunshy so lets get things moving shall we? How about a free railroad spike knife contest?

I'll do the classic pick a number between one and one thousand game, send my number choice to Kirik so there won't be any suspicion of favoritism and each person gets 3 numbers, the one who guesses it wins a free railroad spike knife of thier choice! It's not 420 btw, come on, too easy! (Must be at least 18 years of age to participate.) So get the ball rolling and put in your numbers ladies and gentlemen!

Also I failed to mention, just noticed, all my knives come with 10 day money back guarantees, if not satisfied, send it back for a full refund!

ttt

Are the posted prices inclusive of the 20% discount? If not, how do we go about getting that through the purchase process? Is there a code we enter at checkout or something of that nature? Thanks. ;-)

Hemlock -  

Love this

Yes!

Peacedog -  Are the posted prices inclusive of the 20% discount? If not, how do we go about getting that through the purchase process? Is there a code we enter at checkout or something of that nature? Thanks. ;-)

Regular prices are posted with the discounted prices, but knives are priced at 20% off.

Thanks. ;-)

Don,

Do you have anything like a Military Boot knife/push button lockblade?  I'm looking for a military lockblade that I can carry in my BDU.  Let me know please.  Thanks.