Weidman vs. Silva 1 Full Fight

So many opportunities to strike for Silva that he passed up on. I think he'll win if he just attacks more. Phone Post 3.0

Affliction Blackbelt - Once again people distort facts.

Reality is Silva often loses first round to American wrestlers (see hendo, chael x2). So Weidman taking him down would have been nothing new.

Was Silva clowning out of frustration? If he was I would have thought we'd have seen it in other fights where he lost the first round. Yet that hasn't happened.

Was Weidman gassing before the hook? I'd say yes. Weidman himself mentioned post-fight that he wants to work on his cardio. Also his comment "disrespectful piece of sh**" suggests he was quite emotional, and we all know how adrenaline can exhaust energy. Also his inability to get the takedown supports this.

Conclusion: Silva went into the fight with no respect for opponents stand up and paid the price.

I think the rematch will be a harder fight for Silva as Weidman pins him down for the full round 1 and tries to pass/gnp. However I also think that the longer the fight goes the more it will favour Anderson (i.e championship rounds).

Count me for one that's not distorting. I was going for Andy, he's one of my favs but i wont ride his jock to the point of distorting on the other end. Yes, he can be taken down but this fight was quite diff from the Hendo or Chael fights. Andy found his range on Hendo and Chael in the rematch pretty quickly in R2. Plus, Hendo didnt do shit to him after getting his td. Chael got mount but that's about it.

Im sure you can agree he was clowning to new heights. The other fight he clowned were when he had contempt for his opponent (Maia) or he was bored (Leites). I dont think we've ever seen Anderson not find his range against someone like he did Weidman and he had the opportunity. He just didnt look sharp crossed with he looked like he didnt care crossed with he looked just wasnt focused.

He admits to losing control and to fighting with his corner: http://www.mmamania.com/2013/7/25/4556866/anderson-silva-lost-control-argued-with-corner-ufc-162-knockout-mma. He was taunting Weidman after the R1 bell. That was a first. The way he came out and taunted Weidman before the bell like that was another first.

So, IMHO, as an Anderson fan, as someone who will still be going for him in the rematch, yes, i think he was clowing out of frustration...and just plain losing his edge, just like GSP did (in another way).

"Was Weidman gassing before the hook? I'd say yes." I'd say he was fading. And as mentioned, he was successfully taken out of his wrestling game. However, on the flip, Anderson never found his range/riddum either. And, Weidman still stayed cool no matter what his comments have shown. It was disrespectful but Weidman didnt seem to take it personally. He said he expected the clowning, he said he knew he would have to beat Anderson twice to get the credit. One thing that gives him confidance in Weidman is that he has a humble, calm confidance in himself that I havent seen in other guys new to the top of the hill.

I still think Anderson can win and want him to but Weidman is for real and will only be better next time. He just cant be too confidant now.

THE CACTUS KID - So many opportunities to strike for Silva that he passed up on. I think he'll win if he just attacks more. Phone Post 3.0

I noticed this even more upon watching it again....but Andy never found his range....something was up, he was off, Weidman put him off too imo. But no champ can keep their blades, physical and mental, that sharp forever....lets see if Andy comes back with his set resharpened.

I'm interested to see what happens if Weidman gets Anderson on the ground again. He landed some hard shots before going for that heel hook, which in hindsight wasn't the best move because he couldn't finish it. But if he just stayed on top for the rest of the round Silva would have got the piss beat out of him I think.

I forgot how Weidman extended his hand to touch gloves before the opening round and Silva did not oblige.

Usually the guy who refuses to touch gloves ends up getting knocked out, even Anderson.

I don't want to watch this shit!

Already cried enough the first time :,( Phone Post 3.0

Ttt Phone Post 3.0

Silva is a god Phone Post 3.0

In a recent interview Andy said something to the effect of it wasn't the taunting that was his undoing, but rather the not striking back.

He said he always taunts or goads his opponents into striking first so he can counter strike. He had so many opportunities in this fight, I don't think he will make the same mistake again.

How many TD attempts did weidman have? Phone Post 3.0

D241 - 

I forgot how Weidman extended his hand to touch gloves before the opening round and Silva did not oblige.

Usually the guy who refuses to touch gloves ends up getting knocked out, even Anderson.

He did bow....was trying to play games with Chris imo already.

Humboldt - In a recent interview Andy said something to the effect of it wasn't the taunting that was his undoing, but rather the not striking back.

He said he always taunts or goads his opponents into striking first so he can counter strike. He had so many opportunities in this fight, I don't think he will make the same mistake again.

He did try to hit back, he just could not find his range/riddum. Yes, he does try and goad his opponents in but this was different.

IhaveDSL'SforPettis - 
Wasa-B -
THE CACTUS KID - So many opportunities to strike for Silva that he passed up on. I think he'll win if he just attacks more. Phone Post 3.0

I noticed this even more upon watching it again....but Andy never found his range....something was up, he was off, Weidman put him off too imo. But no champ can keep their blades, physical and mental, that sharp forever....lets see if Andy comes back with his set resharpened.
If he comes with less clowning then he will get that belt back. 2nd round TKO win for Silva Phone Post 3.0

Bottom line: clowning or no clowning, he has to find his riddum first.

Humboldt - In a recent interview Andy said something to the effect of it wasn't the taunting that was his undoing, but rather the not striking back.

"How many TD attempts did weidman have?"

I believe he had 2 in R2? But its been mentioned many times already that Andy's clowning stifled Weidman's wrestling even from R1. Had Anderson started finding his range/riddum and was lining Weidman up, i could buy the "oh he gave it away" arguement but he wasnt landing anything. We know the feeling when Andy starts lining shit up, that didnt happen that night.

This is the first time I watched this fight since watching it live and it definitely seems like some facts were distorted. That round 1 was not as dominant as I thought before. Weidman landed good shots on the ground but that was the most significant part of that round.

The second round it seemed like Andy was landing leg kicks at will and Weidman was beginning to slow down, if he didn't go full retard I feel that would have been a much different fight.

The worst is that the second fight will likely be the same because there's no way Anderson isn't gonna try some sort of taunting or dicking around and it'll be just as infuriating to watch as this was.

D241 -

Anderson has only touched gloves with Rich Franklin, and has only been koed once so your theory is kind of weak. Phone Post 3.0

eljamaiquino - 
D241 -

Anderson has only touched gloves with Rich Franklin, and has only been koed once so your theory is kind of weak. Phone Post 3.0

Come to think of it, he does do the bowing more but didnt realize he has only touched gloves with Rich. Guess that part wasnt really mind games then.

It's going to be an interesting fight either way. Weidman had his game on that night, Silva obviously didn't. It's not a fight I'd bet on.

JEFF3KIDS - It's going to be an interesting fight either way. Weidman had his game on that night, Silva obviously didn't. It's not a fight I'd bet on.

Yeah, i think a more focused Andy will be back but....perhaps his chin is more shot now? And he's only getting older, his speed and reflexes may not be where they once were, he's gonna have to use some experience here. Weidman is for real win or lose the rematch imo and will be coming in knowing he can beat Anderson and wasnt even intimidated the first time. He just cant be overconfidant. He should stick to his wrestling and the ground at least for the first half of the bout.

In Phone Post 3.0