What defines a UFC "veteran"

I feel like this term is thrown around way to loosely. They call guys with 3 to 5 fights in the UFC a vet, a true UFC vet would be a guy like Frank Mir. He's been in 23 battles in the UFC since 2001. You don't call a new recruit that's seen action once maybe twice a vet, I feel like guys like Frank are under appreciated for how long they've been around. What are thoughts UG? Who else would you consider a true UFC vet out of the current roster? Phone Post 3.0

10 fights in the ufc makes u a vet Phone Post 3.0

slicedcity - 10 fights in the ufc makes u a vet Phone Post 3.0
I can agree with this. Phone Post 3.0

1 passed out of competition drug test

I'd say 10 to 15 fights. Phone Post 3.0

willienugget - What makes a person old or fat?

Age and weight

Being in the ufc around the start of the org or at least 7-10 years maybe. Phone Post 3.0

I agree.

It Devalues the meaning of Veteran when the person being called it has just lost on TUF and has a pro record of 1-1 for example.

Its just marketing and hype for smaller promotions.

Id say Ross Pearson is a vet, I wouldn't however call Luke barnatt one even though he has has a couple of fights.

Two.fights. In the first one you're a newcomer and in the second a veteran. Phone Post 3.0

It's used pretty loosely in other sports as well, almost as an opposite of "rookie". You're either in your first season or you're a veteran. Phone Post 3.0

This has always bothered me as well. Soo many orgs throw that around for guys that only had an undercard fight just to boost their shows esteem. In my opinion it would be appropriate to say "An MMA veteran who has fought in the UFC".

As you said a "UFC vet" is someone like Mir/Couture/Penn etc etc

Gotta do coke with jbj and get high with nick and nate Phone Post 3.0

ghost bear - Gotta do coke with jbj and get high with nick and nate Phone Post 3.0

And nail Chrissy Blair.

3 fights no piss test failures!!! Phone Post 3.0

mrladeuce -
TheDeadlyRhythm - I feel like this term is thrown around way to loosely. They call guys with 3 to 5 fights in the UFC a vet, a true UFC vet would be a guy like Frank Mir. He's been in 23 battles in the UFC since 2001. You don't call a new recruit that's seen action once maybe twice a vet, I feel like guys like Frank are under appreciated for how long they've been around. What are thoughts UG? Who else would you consider a true UFC vet out of the current roster? Phone Post 3.0
Is your username from something specific? The band Refused by chance? Phone Post 3.0
Damn skippy it is! You a fan? I caught them in Toronto in 2012 for their reunion tour Phone Post 3.0

notsobigmike - You are literally a veteran after 1 fight.

All the term "UFC veteran" means is that you have fought in the UFC.

It's the same as if you were talking about an NFL or NBA "vet." If you were on the team (even if you didn't even get game time) you were an NFL'er.

Fuck that, it shouldn't mean that. The definition of a veteran is a person who has had a long service or experience in an occupation, office, or the like. Phone Post 3.0

Cole miller! Friday will be his 17th fight in the ufc Phone Post 3.0

The way the term is used in the MMA space is 1 fight = veteran. I think it is awesome, as guys who get cut can get a bigger payday as promoters can market them as a :UFC veteran."

One fight, the UFC dumps you. The small regional promotion calls you a UFC vet. Phone Post 3.0

If you re in the UFC I d say 3-4 years.

If you ve been cut then one fight Phone Post 3.0