What do you think could make sport BJJ more exciting?

They also did a few iterations of “Real American Wrestling” type shows. They just aren’t geared towards spectators. Not everything has to be for everyone. If you appreciate bjj you can see plenty in mma. Jiu Jitsu is sort of intended, at its roots to be used in self defense & vale tudo imo. Bjj competitions are awesome but not really what bjj was developed for.just my opinion of course.

1 Like

-2pts for standard takedown
-5pts for a takedown that would be called ippon in Judo
-Penalties for stalling(need an agreed time duration of no action)
-“Ippon” for full control pin of an agreed duration. Not the 20sec as in Judo but say if someone is stuck in mount or a side control variant for 1-2min, call the match.

i’m just spit balling & don’t really know for sure but think the above would add some incentives & action while still allowing plenty of creativity for groundwork.

1 Like

It’s boring as shit. Top guys just cancel each other out. I think it’s gotten even worse since leg locks have become so prevalent. It’s way more exciting watching two good blue belts grapple than watching the top guys stall and not take risks.

7 Likes

No takedowns or pulling guard
No submissions.
No standing grappling.
Closed fist striking.

2 Likes

The old Gracie tournaments did this, if you were in a sub and rolled out it was a DQ

1 Like

There’s no polishing that turd. It is what it is. Fun to do, useful, and boring to watch.

4 Likes

Although not very popular, “American Sport Ju jitsu” is a more interesting format than BJJ, IMO.

You wear protective gear and strikes are allowed standing, throws & takedowns are allowed and ground grappling is allowed, although there is a time limit for ground fighting.

20+ years ago this stuff had it’s heyday, but never took off. Craig Oxley & Ernie Boggs were a couple of the big names in this (tiny) sport. It was “MMA lite” basically. It was pretty cool, but the Gracies were such a huge force when they came on the scene, they kinda took over the consciousness of the MA world and they didn’t want students to use strikes in their competition format. So, BJJ as we know became THE dominant form of jujitsu in the U.S. eclipsing this new, grassroots “American Sport Jujitsu” --which had sprung from more “traditional” American styles of jujitsu like Danzan Ryu jujitsu, rather than BJJ.

I recall a guy named Prof. Carey (who was Ron Thomas of Karate Kid fame’s teacher) was a proponent here on the west coast, but the sport was more popular in places like OH & WV. There were only a few tournaments of this format that I knew of and they were in the bay area. I was waiting and waiting for a Southern CA tournament, but it never happened (that I knew of).

Of course, the American Sport jujitsu guys weren’t nearly as good at ground grappling as the BJJ guys were. But I do like the fact that American Sport Jujitsu includes striking. It was light (“point”) striking at the amature level and full-contact at the pro level. Seemed like a safe format that could serve as a decent gateway to MMA.

Problem is American Sport Ju jitsu, it appeared at exactly the wrong time. They had to fight the “traditionalists” in the American jujitsu world who were unsure about such a competition AND they had to fight the juggernaut that was BJJ/Gracie Jiu Jitsu.

So, it never took off and now there are BJJ schools in every other strip mall in America.

(BTW, this jujitsu with strikes format is still practiced in Europe under different smaller organizations.)

2 Likes

You have to make it so the 2 opponents take turns being on offence.

The player on offence has 30 seconds to apply a sumbission to the other player who does not defend in any way. If, after getting his arm broken or being choked out for 30 seconds the player can continue, the roles are reversed.

Like Slap Fighting.

True in any combat sport. Boxing prospects get 25 wins with 23 kos then by the time they retire with around 40 wins they have 26 kos.
When guys face their own level typically it’s more defense.
Also wrestling or judo. In the Olympics when Russia faces Pakistan u get ippon or pin,
Then they face another powerhouse country and it’s often decided by who stalls more

1 Like

Yeah, we called those “Freestyle jujitsu tournaments”. that was as close as a lot of “traditional” jujitsu orgs come to actual sparring.

Problem with traditional jujitsu , as taught is that no one can pull it off in sparring. Countless standing joint locks & fancy throws aren’t going to happen in sparring. So, it has to morph into a generic mix of proven (striking), takedowns & grappling.

If you watch Kenpo 2.0 sparring, Pro-Hapkido Sparring, American sport Jujitsu sparring --it all becomes indistinguishable. But this it makes traditional Kenpo, Hapkido & Jujitsu teachers feel weird because they don’t see “their” art when it comes time to spar. I think that’s a big reason why many TMAs tend to shun open sparring; they can’t pull any of it off in sparring, except for the most basic moves.

1 Like

I don’t disagree, but jiu jitsu is far more boring than sports with striking when guys cancel out

They need to add pins. That’s where the most interesting subs present themselves. The bottom guy having to scramble to avoid the pin. I think the only pro judo event on the internet is my copy. It was another attempt by mike swain and Neil adams to make judo support them.

2 Likes

B-Team do the occasional impromptu in-house tournament with pins. It is definitely a more active match.

Rickson’s budo challenge did it right

1 Like

The last tournament I ever did had that format; BJJ rules with the addition of a win by pin rule. (You had to pin for 20 or 30 seconds. don’t remember which). It was put on by Judo America in San Diego. I loved it.

2 Likes

They should add that you can win by ippon and guard pulling is automatic 2 for opponent.

Should a pin while inside the guard still be a pin? In judo it isn’t. Catch it was

Since in entertainment bjj they are naked,

Depends on whos balls , are in whos face

3 Likes

No. Making guard a pin changes the entire spirit of bjj imo.

So do punches from guard but bjj used to be used as a fighting style.