What is Khabib's Wrestling Level?

hermanitor - I think Khabib is the best wrestler in MMA history. ("MMA wrestler", that is)

I think if he concentrated on pure free wrestling he’d be an olympian.

I wonder why Khabib considers himself a Sambo guy and not wrestler…

2 Likes
LJB -
Bend The Knee -
LJB -
Bend The Knee -
LJB -
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
LJB -
Paul Thatcher -
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 

He's definitely as good as the he best NCAA D1 wrestlers currently at his weight. There's a video of him absolutely toying with the #1 ranked 152lb highschooler in the country.

Saw this video, the young NCAA D1 guy, had nothing for him & I think Khabib hit with something the young lad had never seen before.

i would not put too much stock into that video…

too many variables to make it more than a one off big brother training scenario…

Sure, but Chase was still the #1 152lb highschooler in the country, at the time of that video.

No doubt, but, still just a kid in a practice environment with a full grown man who has a rep…

practice room is just that…

Give that kid 4 years and see whats up. Also I remember something about an illegal grip? 

well, duh… 

in 4 years after training in a D1 room with other killers and becoming a man in his physical prime… sure it will be a different story…

which was my point to begin with…

and there is no illegal grip in MMA wrestling "practice"

Its more the strength factor, wouldn’t you say?

Also I mean in terms of grip, if that kid isn't used to it, wouldn't you say it plays a factor? Or not really? 

strength is a huge factor...

and just the fact that being a grown man against a kid... the mental differences in how they approach every situation is going to lead to the kid getting big brothered...

that is nothing against the kid... it is just the way it is...

it ism one the reasons that cael is still the alpha and beats up everyone in the NLWC room... because he is cael, thats why... and we are talking about current world and olympic champions in that room...

Cael still handles World and Olympic guys? Serious? 

BJ Penn Forever - 

If you think Khabib could be a free wrestling Olympian from Russia because of the MMA wrestling and grappling you have seen from him then you don't understand the talent pools or rules at hand.

Firstly, I never said “from Russia or the US”

Secondly, quite a few stories around of Khabib training with DCs crew and holding his own with olympians.

Bend The Knee - 
hermanitor - I think Khabib is the best wrestler in MMA history. ("MMA wrestler", that is)

Probably because he’s a sambo guy.

Probably because of who his dad is as well.

1 Like

Khabib wrestling a top highschool kid doesn't really prove all that much but the accounts of Khabib hanging with USA National Champs and All Americans and actually dominating rounds, means his wrestling is very good.

Regarding Cael, I think it was Quentin Wright or maybe David Taylor, Wright was National Champ, Taylor World Champ, one of them made the comment in an interview that Cael was still the king of the mat at the Nittany Lion Wrestling Club. Some of the big names wrestling over there are David Taylor (World Champ), Bo Nickal (Junior World Champ), Kyle Snyder (Olympic Champ), Jake Varner (Olympic Champ), and a host of national champs in the room.

Bend The Knee -
LJB -
Bend The Knee -
LJB -
Bend The Knee -
LJB -
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe -
LJB -
Paul Thatcher -
ABCTT_HeHitsMeBecauseHeLovesMe - 

He's definitely as good as the he best NCAA D1 wrestlers currently at his weight. There's a video of him absolutely toying with the #1 ranked 152lb highschooler in the country.

Saw this video, the young NCAA D1 guy, had nothing for him & I think Khabib hit with something the young lad had never seen before.

i would not put too much stock into that video…

too many variables to make it more than a one off big brother training scenario…

Sure, but Chase was still the #1 152lb highschooler in the country, at the time of that video.

No doubt, but, still just a kid in a practice environment with a full grown man who has a rep…

practice room is just that…

Give that kid 4 years and see whats up. Also I remember something about an illegal grip? 

well, duh… 

in 4 years after training in a D1 room with other killers and becoming a man in his physical prime… sure it will be a different story…

which was my point to begin with…

and there is no illegal grip in MMA wrestling "practice"

Its more the strength factor, wouldn’t you say?

Also I mean in terms of grip, if that kid isn't used to it, wouldn't you say it plays a factor? Or not really? 

strength is a huge factor...

and just the fact that being a grown man against a kid... the mental differences in how they approach every situation is going to lead to the kid getting big brothered...

that is nothing against the kid... it is just the way it is...

it ism one the reasons that cael is still the alpha and beats up everyone in the NLWC room... because he is cael, thats why... and we are talking about current world and olympic champions in that room...

Cael still handles World and Olympic guys? Serious? 

taylor says he is still the alpha in that room...

that is not surprising to me...

because of the aura he has...

it would be like trying to beat up a loving father...

it would be kinda like a stud HS wrestler trying to beat up khabib...

hermanitor -
BJ Penn Forever - 

If you think Khabib could be a free wrestling Olympian from Russia because of the MMA wrestling and grappling you have seen from him then you don't understand the talent pools or rules at hand.

Firstly, I never said “from Russia or the US”

Secondly, quite a few stories around of Khabib training with DCs crew and holding his own with olympians.

holding his own in an MMA wrestling day is not the same as being olympic level…

clealry, khabib is a very talented grappler… but, if he was really on that level, he would have gone that direction when he was a kid…

Bend The Knee -
Stu Cazzo -
Bend The Knee -

Jordan Burroughs would kill him. 

Id put my money on Askren in pure wrestling

Jordan’s weight is 8lbs heavier than Khabib’s…

Is comp weight yes. But Khabib cuts a ton to make 155. I could see them being pretty close in weight

You don’t think Jordan cuts a significant amount of weight?

hermanitor -
Bend The Knee - 

Probably because he’s a sambo guy.

Probably because of who his dad is as well.

His Dad wrestled since 6th grade…

1. As Judom has said repeatedly on this forum, in Dagestan, “it’s all wrestling.” They judo-wrestle, free sambo-wrestle, etc. My impression is that the relationship is similar to that of folk/free/greco in the US.

2. Beating up the #1 high school wrestler in the country is a huge sign of your skill, regardless of how people choose to discredit it. If you can trash the number 1 highschooler, you’re a stud. However, the wall clearly mattered and Khabib looked a good deal bigger than Chase. But, regardless, Khabib is a stud.

As people have mentioned on this thread, he tends to shoot from a good deal out. But that video with chase shows that his defensive positioning and strength is fantastic.

Stu Cazzo -
Bend The Knee -
Stu Cazzo -
Bend The Knee -

Is comp weight yes. But Khabib cuts a ton to make 155. I could see them being pretty close in weight

you cant wrestle internationally and cut huge amounts of weight with same day 2-day weigh ins…

he trains about 7-9 lbs above 74kg… or used to… i think he has tightened up his diet considerably since the new weigh in rules and probably trains several lbs lighter than that…

wiggum - 1) As Judom has said repeatedly on this forum, in Dagestan, "it's all wrestling." They judo-wrestle, free sambo-wrestle, etc. My impression is that the relationship is similar to that of folk/free/greco in the US.
  1. Beating up the #1 high school wrestler in the country is a huge sign of your skill, regardless of how people choose to discredit it. If you can trash the number 1 highschooler, you’re a stud. However, the wall clearly mattered and Khabib looked a good deal bigger than Chase. But, regardless, Khabib is a stud.

As people have mentioned on this thread, he tends to shoot from a good deal out. But that video with chase shows that his defensive positioning and strength is fantastic.

That does make a ton of sense

Stu Cazzo -
Bend The Knee -
Stu Cazzo -
Bend The Knee -

I read he’s about 175. Not sure how true that is. Next to Khabib, no. 

No, I don't believe Burroughs cuts significant weight.

Bend The Knee - 
Stu Cazzo -
Bend The Knee -
Stu Cazzo -
Bend The Knee -

I read he’s about 175. Not sure how true that is. Next to Khabib, no. 

Irrelevant imo. The point is that like Wiggum said and like many have said about GSP, they would likely get tech’ed (10 point technical fall or whatever it is now) by getting rolled on the ground continuously for back exposure. Khabib likely doesn’t train that and why would he? It means absolutely nothing in MMA.

Even before MMA, i always used to wonder why we had gut wrenches and leg laces in wrestling…like what good is it to do this shit I always wondered?

I think OP’s question is likely about the td aspect however.

Bend The Knee - 
wiggum - 1) As Judom has said repeatedly on this forum, in Dagestan, "it's all wrestling." They judo-wrestle, free sambo-wrestle, etc. My impression is that the relationship is similar to that of folk/free/greco in the US.
  1. Beating up the #1 high school wrestler in the country is a huge sign of your skill, regardless of how people choose to discredit it. If you can trash the number 1 highschooler, you’re a stud. However, the wall clearly mattered and Khabib looked a good deal bigger than Chase. But, regardless, Khabib is a stud.

To add to point #1 of which judom (where did he go anyhow?) used to constantly remind us, not only has Khabib have bases in wrestling/sambo/judo, he has also trained those with MMA in mind as well coming from his Dad. And on top, he has had MMA wrestling training with DC and Cain with their American folk backgrounds. This makes Khabib the ultra-rounded MMA grappler that he is.

For example, his Dad always teaches to shoot the legs on the outside or not into the power leg to avoid the knee ala Romero/Weidman. Weidman actually had shot consistently to the outside of that fight until the 3rd round when he chose the one time to shoot on the inside he got his head taken off.

Firas has commented that he has talked to Khabib’s dad at length about MMA training philosophy, etc and really had a lot of respect for Abdulmanap’s knowledge. I wonder what kind of impact his loss will effect Khabib coming back.

hermanitor - I think Khabib is the best wrestler in MMA history. ("MMA wrestler", that is)

I actually might argue that GSP had the better MMA takedowns alone. But Khabib is the superior overall MMA wrestler/grappler with better ground control, GNP, subs.

As many have pointed out, Khabib’s open mat leg attack tds aren’t all that…which is why it was a bad sign that Connor got taken down with one and the first attempt of the fight when Khabib’s actual td percentage I reckon is that high.

GSP by contrast, im sure has a higher td percentage and of course, GSP could get the tds anywhere as his timing, set ups and penetration was impeccable.

As the wrestlers I know always say “khabib sucks at wrestling compared to Americans.”

Which leads me to assume that America gets all the wrestling medals at the Olympics & worlds.

So I assume most of us could pin Khabib without too much trouble.

Wasa-B -
Bend The Knee - 

To add to point #1 of which judom (where did he go anyhow?) used to constantly remind us, not only has Khabib have bases in wrestling/sambo/judo, he has also trained those with MMA in mind as well coming from his Dad. And on top, he has had MMA wrestling training with DC and Cain with their American folk backgrounds. This makes Khabib the ultra-rounded MMA grappler that he is.

For example, his Dad always teaches to shoot the legs on the outside or not into the power leg to avoid the knee ala Romero/Weidman. Weidman actually had shot consistently to the outside of that fight until the 3rd round when he chose the one time to shoot on the inside he got his head taken off.

Firas has commented that he has talked to Khabib’s dad at length about MMA training philosophy, etc and really had a lot of respect for Abdulmanap’s knowledge. I wonder what kind of impact his loss will effect Khabib coming back.

Besides his MMA wrestling and folk technique with DC I’m sure he has worked lots of MMA BJJ technique with Leandro Vieira at AKA too. Khabib showed some sick guard work in some old sambo footage and in a couple of his M-1 fights too.

Khabib might be the most complete MMA grappler the sport has seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LkdatmYjNA